• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Linux Running Game Maker on Linux (specifically Ubuntu)

Rafael_Lima

Hello there.

I want to install Game Maker Studio on Ubuntu.

I do know how to test a game on Ubuntu running from a Windows machine, but I really do need to make Gamemaker Studio work on Linux, and installing a Virtual Machine is not an option.

Has anyone managed to make it work with Wine? I tried it, installed the necessary .net extesions but had no luck.. when I fire it up, I get nothing... I can see the GM process runing and can kill it, but nothing ever shows up on screen.

Anyone had better luck than me? Thank you.

N

NPT

People have been asking this for years, to date I have not seen one, problem-free successfull install of Studio on Linux (under Wine).

Last edited by a moderator:
J

JeZxLee

Hi,

I run Linux Mint 18 MATE 64Bit which is based on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS 64Bit.
I use current GameMaker:Studio in Windows 10 Pro 64Bit virtual machine using free VMWare Workstation Player 12..
Works perfectly.

Edit: Sorry, see now virtual machine is not an option.

Rafael_Lima

The problem is that I have to use a pretty old machine, I tried a Virtual Machine on it and the thing barely worked, and just couldn't install GMS at all on it. I believe if I could install Windows on it, the machine would be good enough to work with GMS, but the machine just can't cope with a Virtual Machine + Windows + GMS .

I have zero experience with Wine (Never needed it before), so I was hoping maybe I was doing something wrong and someone had better luck than me.

O

Opticrow

If you can successfully get a virtual windows running, you'll be able to run GM:S without any issues (once you've installed all the various direct x plugins).

C

Cecelik

I am also needing to get this working on Ubuntu under Wine. I cannot have this running inside of a virtual machine for other development reasons.

A

aaronfranke

I would also greatly appreciate it if there was a Linux version of GM studio. It would allow easier creation of Linux ports.

S

Sam (Deleted User)

@aaronfranke - you do realize you don't even need a Linux machine in order to export, right? They say you need it on the site, but the reality is you don't. The zip exports fine on Windows. Now of course, if you want to test your game, that is another matter. But in most case scenerios that I've encountered, at least with GMS 1.x, if the game works on Windows, if you have all the Linux dependencies installed on the target machine, the Linux game will run exactly the same as the Windows version.

S

Sam (Deleted User)

It would allow easier creation of Linux ports.
I don't know about most people, but I have a laptop running Ubuntu, and my Windows PC is sitting on the same desk next to it. It sends everything through the network automatically, and it could not be any easier. Taking your project from a Windows machine via a USB device and then loading it into a Linux IDE manually, then pressing play/create, would actually take considerably longer than simply selecting Linux from the target dropdown and pressing the play/create button all on Windows.

The point of a Linux IDE is not to "make Linux ports easier", it is to "make games on Linux without necessarily needing to work on Windows or Mac at all, or at least for the most part". Thus why there is too little demand.

W

WashedPanic2369