• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Design Creativity Issues? [Closed by author request]

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

ethian

Greetings...

I'm inspired to make a game... an original one... again...

But there's issues with the game design...

I want to make my game fun and interesting... but i don't know how to do it...
All i can think are just used ideas.
For example, make a game where you can be a killer, or the contrary to killer, but this idea that makes a game interesting, is sadly used... (Undertale)
I was also thinking on making my game be one where you encounter with strange stuff and you have the choice of accept them or destroy them, but it will make my game boring and this idea is also used , too (A Gamejolt videogame called "AfterStory")
Also, all i think about making my game fun, is make the game be a bullet hell... and make my game an one where your mission is to attack villains... i don't want to make my game an one where you kill bad guys... because... i like some villains and... i like where the villains reappear at the end... so, i would like to make my game an one where you love villains... also, hate them... but i don't want to make my game innapropiate for children!
All the original idea of a videogame is an one where you need to pick all the dry clothes from the clothesline, but there's a dog, and you need to avoid making the clothes get dirty because of the dog's bittes or its poo, but it is more acceptable for a minigame inside a full lenght game more than a full lenght game...
I want to make my game have boss battles with dodging... but without violence...
Can someone help me with all this trouble, please?

UPDATE

What i wanted to say all the time is:
I'm still inspired to make a game.
Inspired, i want to make my game interesting, and good to get obsessed with...
But i don't know how to do it goodly!
All i think is a lot of used ideas!
Can help me with this, please?

Last edited by a moderator:
E

ethian

Agreed. If you're struggling to come up with even the fundamental ideas for your big project, and you already have the ideas for a small project, start working on the small project.
Make minigames like that clothesline game idea of mine? And other ideas of minigames of mine like minigames involving Nuts Goners? By learning tutorials? Ok, thanks...!
Then... What comes next? the big project or...?

Stop worrying about what comes next and focus on one small thing at a time. Make the mini game, then see how you feel. Probably make a few more if you have more ideas like the clothesline one

W

:wink:

@ethian your vast quantity of posts about "I'm going to make a game" remind me of the first four hours of The Hobbit - "We are going on a journey".

I have tried to watch The Hobbit three times now, but always fall asleep before they actually go on 'the journey'.

Toque

Ethan make the dog game. That’s original and interesting and fun and kid friendly. Perfect idea.

Love it. Go for it.

If you can’t make a small game you will never make a complex game.

Start........work........finish.

I think I inderstand your thinking.
Let your brain race with ideas about the dog game.

All these other things try to close them out.l
They are just noise.

“I don’t need those ideas now I will think about those things when I’m finished this game”.

Solve problems you have.

Last edited:
E

ethian

Ethan make the dog game. That’s original and interesting and fun and kid friendly. Perfect idea.
Ok, mejor me quedo con la idea de ese juego... gracias...

Sorry, i like to say this on that pretty language!
What it meant was:
"Ok, i stay with the idea of that game... thanks..."
But i want to make my game a full-lenght one more than small projects, so i'll leave that idea for the "combat system" of my game, thanks...

I have another issue, but it's outta the main topic of this thread, also, that topic is now solved thanks to what @Toque said to me... and...
So...

Toque

Ok, mejor me quedo con la idea de ese juego... gracias...

Sorry, i like to say this on that pretty language!
What it meant was:
"Ok, i stay with the idea of that game... thanks..."
But i want to make my game a full-lenght one more than small projects, so i'll leave that idea for the "combat system" of my game, thanks...

I have another issue, but it's outta the main topic of this thread, also, that topic is now solved thanks to what @Toque said to me... and...
So...

Great. Have fun!!

curato

If you have in your mind to do a "full" game do a platformer. Once you have the basic code done it is just clicking levels together, and there are plenty of tutorials out there for that type of game. If you are in the market for odd mini games, the last game jam I almost made a cat herding simulator instead of the game I made :p

S

Setteduetto

Just because an idea has been done before doesn't mean it can't be done again, in a unique way. Something like A Hat in Time can come out of the desire to make a sequel to an old classic.

Another thought would be to focus on the game's mechanics first rather than the theme. I'm pretty sure this is how most people go about game design, and while trying to create a unique theme first isn't 'wrong', it's not industry standard by any means.

For example, in my current project, I first came up with the concept of stabbing enemies as a means of getting to different places. I then thought of vampires as part of the theme because it makes sense for the character to use a spear and stab vampires.

E

ethian

Thanks to everyone for allow me to make my game have the only original game idea i had (The-clothesline-and-the-dog one) i though that idea was silly, until for some reason, they told me it meets my game-of-mine requisits... also, i was waiting for ideas for a game that meets that requisits... but, it's now enough with what someone here said.

I'll put it to my game as the "combat system", well, besides a dog, it will be more bad guys to avoid...

It means the main topic of this thread is solved, i have no more ideas for other original games... and i'll just stay with the game that has the clothesline-and-dog idea, as it's my game and it's supposed to make me go nuts...!

So, close this thread and put "Solved", please?

PD: "Original" means "It's still not used", right?

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
Shut up and quit sharing your every thought on the GMC hoping for validation. Just get started already and do what you can do, it's your copy of GM. You don't need to rant or wait for our approval at every turn, and we don't have the patience to read your rants and give you approval at every turn.

Your actions are a much bigger problem than your designs, and for one I don't approve of all the crap you've been putting up around here. Had you devoted all that effort in actually programming something instead of posting inane drivel, you'd have something to show for by now.

Status
Not open for further replies.