OFFICIAL GameMaker: Studio 1.4.9999 Released - FEEDBACK

Dan

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
A new 1.4.9999 has gone out this afternoon to fix the wrong audio playing (especially when using emitters) issues which a few of you have mentioned. Considering we are now 2 full months and a few days after the end of support date, this is definitely the last one... That's All Folks!

The release will be moved to the Stable channel early next week. If you're on 9999 already, you will need to use the installer in order to update - click the heading in the release notes page: http://www.yoyogames.com/downloads/gm-studio/release-notes-studio.html

Thanks to all of you for helping iron-out issues with this final release!

Dan

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
If I didn't specifically call out the change as having been fixed and added this info to the release notes also, it didn't get changed. Sorry, but we only had a very limited amount of time for this final-final-final release.

Dude902

Just wondering if the suggested fixes in this part of the notes have anything to do with the issue I had with the application surface early in the thread:

• Changed the default size of the GUI layer
    • Changed the default GUI size for Draw GUI events to match the application_surface size so it is more consistent cross-platform
    • Fixes various issues, such as text placement on some platforms (e.g., Mac)
    • NOTE: If you use a Draw GUI event to scale your GUI and draw the application_surface, you might need to change your project to maintain your expected results:
    • In your first object's Create/Game Start, you could do "var pos = application_get_position(); display_set_gui_maximise(1, 1, pos[0], pos[1]);"
    • Depending on your project, you might find also that simply changing your Draw GUI event to be a Post Draw gives the intended result
    • See the manual for more information
I can't even tell if this is the issue I should be tackling, before I start to tackle it.

For reference: my earlier post
This is my HTML5 issue with borders, sorry if this isn't a "bug" per se, but it was working in the last version. I really appreciate the long support you've offered for GMS 1.4 and not saying this is something wrong on the software side. If there's a standard way to add borders instead (that can be toggled on and off and lets you resize the window) please point me to an instructive resource.

I have one surface for borders drawn in predraw, then the application surface (the 416x640 grey block in the middle, *INTENTIONALLY BLANK IN THIS EXAMPLE*) is drawn automatically.

In the new version in HTML5 (works fine in windows export as an .exe) the part of the border after the application surface is cut off in any of the 416x640 rooms, it displays if I go back to the initial 1136x640 room.

Other details:
I have the initial room set to 1136x640 to run my controller object, then resize and recenter the application surface to 416x640, which is how I coded everything in the game (i.e. all the rooms except the initial one are 416x640). This way I found I could make the loading screen appear properly centered and fill the whole canvas when I hosted it on itch.io. I manually recenter the game window and application surface when I want to toggle the borders.

Am I not supposed to draw the application surface smaller than the canvas? How can I make optional borders in a fixed-sized itch.io canvas window then?

N

Nicholas B.

Well, unfortunately the sound issue I reported was never fixed, which I now found out was due to 1.4.9999 introducing tons of issues with audiogroup_default and now the program outputs hundreds of errors about "Access Violation" when attempting to test out any project.

In fact, now whenever I test any of the projects that I am working on, the test builds randomly freeze completely(everything stops: sounds, picture, animations, etc) with no popups or errors. Yet what's odd is that said test build still uses 100% of a single thread, and can only be ended through task manager, which does not indicate that the task is not responding. Nothing in the Compile log shows up when the freezes happen.

The debugger also becomes unresponsive, and can't even do simple tasks like restarting the test build or setting breakpoints.

Now obviously this is completely unacceptable, as this nasty issue was not happening in 1.4.1773, nor in earlier builds of 1.4.9999. I know this won't get fixed since 1.4.9999 is the last update that will ever be made, but this makes me wish that much more time was put into testing this final update.

Last edited by a moderator:

cgPixel

Now obviously this is completely unacceptable, as this nasty issue was not happening in 1.4.1773, nor in earlier builds of 1.4.9999. I know this won't get fixed since 1.4.9999 is the last update that will ever be made, but this makes me wish that much more time was put into testing this final update.
Do you know in which ealier build?
Because I saved all 3 of the 1.4.9999 versions, before YoYo took them off.

Best Regards

N

NeonBits

My question is : is it still possible to deliver a good quality game under the new update? As a final release, it has to be the primary objective. Is it possible to have two different versions of GM 1.4 on a same computer. While at it, is it possible to have both GM 2 and GM 1.4 installed?

W

:wink:

Yes. They are completely separate products so can be installed on the same computer.
You can even go as far to have two different versions of each on there if you are feeling hard core. Well technically three, but I don't want to overload minds here.

N

NeonBits

So, I can have GM 1.4.1772.... GM1.4.9999... and GM2 at same time? Wait, I think I remember someone in the forum had problem installing a new version of GM1.4 because parts of an older version remained. It won't enter in conflict?

W

:wink:

So, I can have GM 1.4.1772.... GM1.4.9999... and GM2 at same time? Wait, I think I remember someone in the forum had problem installing a new version of GM1.4 because parts of an older version remained. It won't enter in conflict?
Yes.

You can also install the new version from steam and the older versions from the installer. Windows won't care :)

N

NeonBits

Windows won't but I'm still uncertain for GM. You have two 1.4 installed and have no conflicts? I would like to read from others about this. Thanks for the answer.

wamingo

@NeonBits

I created a new windows user to install 1804 separately from the 9999 version due to its incompatibility with certain older android devices.
It works but it's obviously a hassle.
Note also, and I can't remember exactly the procedure, but I had trouble loading/compiling the same gmx across two users when it was saved under a 'users' folder, even the public folder. So consider saving the gmx outside the users folders. May have to toy around with permissions too, I don't remember...

N

NeonBits

I created a new windows user to install 1804 separately from the 9999 version due to its incompatibility with certain older android devices.
I'll keep this in mind, but I won't download this right now during a project.
and is this the final/last gms1 we will have
Humanly, it's always possible to improve something, but I doubt the wallet wants them to...

Z

zendraw

I'll keep this in mind, but I won't download this right now during a project.

Humanly, it's always possible to improve something, but I doubt the wallet wants them to...
i mean are they gona work on it more, from russels last comment i get that theyr done with it for good. but i aways thought that it wuld aske me if i want to update gm when i launch it, as usual.

N

NeonBits

Dunno if it answers
Removal of Online Connectivity in the IDE

The News feed has been disabled (also stops the script errors shown on startup in previous versions)
Links to the Marketplace and for managing your YoYo Account have been removed - please use your browser to do this now
Demos and Tutorials now work off a download, rather than the online feeds - see this "Download Studio 1.4 Demos And Tutorials" Hepdesk FAQ for more info
GGS support for automatically downloading our third-party extensions has been removed - please download in your browser and drag the package onto the IDE to import the extension to your project

N

NeonBits

Monitors with refresh rates higher than 60hz can cause timing issues on Windows, games run more slowly than expected on these devices
Any suggestion to avoid this?

T

theb1gm4c

room_restart & game_restart functions are causing memory leaks for me. they don't do this in v1.4.1804

T

theb1gm4c

Really? I thought they caused leaks since GM's inception and hence I've never used them :p
i'm told they caused leaks in older versions but I don't think i got them before I used v1.4.9999. maybe someone else can test them out & see if they get the same results as me?
(I use room_restart on re-spawn. hope I don't have to rework my system.)

N

NeonBits

If you have a link to a tutorial on such fashion, I would like to see.

N

Nicholas B.

Do you know in which ealier build?
Because I saved all 3 of the 1.4.9999 versions, before YoYo took them off.

Best Regards
I am not sure, but it may have been the build before the final 1.4.9999 was released. I lost track because I stopped trying out the betas when they broke the default audiogroup.

C

cake

Problem in GameMaker Studio 1.4.9999.

The get_integer_async is not work like get_integer work, it is have some big problem.Use get_integer_async will get wrong value.

And the color is not right.The code is c_bule but run in windows it shows red.The color in android is right.

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
The get_integer_async is not work like get_integer work, it is have some big problem.Use get_integer_async will get wrong value.
You should read the Manual entry on get_integer_async() before trying to use it. The entered number doesn't come from the return value like with get_integer(), it comes from async_load[? "value"] in the Dialog event.
And the color is not right.The code is c_bule but run in windows it shows red.The color in android is right.
I've observed this problem in some functions like effect_create_above(), but 1.4.9999 is out of support and you should not expect any action from YoYo at this point. You would have to reverse the colours yourself as shown in this post.

Last edited:
L

Leon

Has anyone found a way to deal with the sound files being mixed up at playback?

slayer 64

I've been writing for loops in game maker like this for a long time because semi-colons aren't really required in gml.
Code:
for(i=0 i<ds_list_size(aList) i+=1)
apparently they are being more strictly enforced now
Code:
for(i=0; i<ds_list_size(aList); i+=1;)
I would like to write a for loop like this and never deal with semi-colons or parentheses again
Code:
for var i=0 i<ds_list_size(aList) i++
remove the enforcement of semi-colons in game maker studio 1.4.9999 please

I've been writing for loops in game maker like this for a long time because semi-colons aren't really required in gml.
Code:
Code:
I would like to write a for loop like this and never deal with semi-colons or parentheses again
Code:
I'm pretty sure the reason they're more strictly enforcing semicolons is because they were planning on making expressions in the for loop optional. In fact, in GMS2 they are. This is a completely valid code block:
Code:
var i = 0;
for ( ; ; ) {
  if (i == 5) break;
  ++i;
}
Obviously there's no reason why anyone would ever to do this specifically, but there are plenty of situations where having optional for loop expressions is very useful.
Either way, GMS1 has already been sunsetted. Getting YYG to update it would be like getting Microsoft to update Windows 7.

L

Lonewolff

Semi-colons are useless and should be abolished in all programming languages. The standard is wrong.
That's my stance on semi-colons :)
How do you propose the 'new' standard for using 'for loops' should be laid out? Spaces as per your example don't make sense (plus you chose to have a random semi-colon in there anyway).

Dog Slobber

Code:
Code:
Code:
This post should be pinned as a reminder to others, not to use undocumented behaviour in one's code.

Semi-colons are useless and should be abolished in all programming languages. The standard is wrong.
That's my stance on semi-colons :)
No, semi-colons can be important for parsing code and removing ambiguities that can cause syntax errors and bugs.

A

Andy

I apologize if this has been covered already, but why did the final update never come to Steam?

gnysek

Isn't it only on beta channel ? Not sure, cause I'm not using Steam version, but on Windows it's also on Beta only.

Z

zendraw

dont use the final update, the last stable version is 1.4.1804. in the last version it seems they added 2 more bugs for every fixed one.

Dude902

dont use the final update, the last stable version is 1.4.1804. in the last version it seems they added 2 more bugs for every fixed one.
I don't agree with blanket statements like this. For you they introduced too many bugs to use. For me, they added one or two and it is still somewhat usable. While they definitely didn't fix what I was hoping for, it depends heavily on your project.

For example, my game is heavily geared towards playing in browsers, so I find 1.4.9999 to be extremely insufficient because it introduced HTML5 bugs and audio bugs. However, my situation doesn't apply to everyone.