The Vast Space

S

steveyg90

Still working on my vast procedural space game. This allows you to explore the depths of space, fight ships, upgrade, land on planets (all of which are procedurally generated). There will be quests to do, ships to find and loot, friends to be made, build a home on one of the many planets, live in the vast space world.

The Vast Space

Hope you like.

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
S

steveyg90

Ambitious undertaking.

By the way, have you ever played Space Rangers?
Hi,

Nope, never player that, what's it about? Yep, big undertaking but optimized quite well so far, got 6000 space ships in the space 'arena', over 500 planets etc...The planets are all landable on which opens up
a procedural land for them (used cellular automata for this). Each planet has its own or similar characteristics, for instance, some planets are inhabited by skeletons, the planets data is stored in JSON files
which will allow the player to modify them quite easily :)

Arashi

Than you should try them.
At the very least you will get an idea, how to draw great space backgrounds and how to implement interesting space combat.
And if you go futher than tutorial, you will encounter wonderfull quest system.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/214730/Space_Rangers_HD_A_War_Apart/

What you are doing is a space rangers game, but with terraria-like planets, instead of RTS planets. If you'll manage to implement what you want perfectly, you could suprass SR2 game, which is rather old.

Last edited:
S

steveyg90

Than you should try them.
At the very least you will get an idea, how to draw great space backgrounds and how to implement interesting space combat.
And if you go futher than tutorial, you will encounter wonderfull quest system.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/214730/Space_Rangers_HD_A_War_Apart/

What you are doing is a space rangers game, but with terraria-like planets, instead of RTS planets. If you manage to implement this perfectly, you could suprass SR2 game, which is rathe old game.
That does look great, I'd love to get somebody who could do gfx like that for me. The backgrounds are great and the enemy combat looks good. That does inspire me! Thanks very much for the link.

K

kevbal

This looks interesting. reminds me of the old Lucas Arts 5.25 floppy games. Well done

S

steveyg90

Please find latest video here of WIP. I'm aiming to get this game finished fall of 2019, it is a vast project but sure to be worth it.

S

steveyg90

Gas stations added. Small video showing two of them. They appear as large green circles on the radar map.

S

steveyg90

Coded up a 'Space Salamander' earlier, not many of these to be found! Here is a short clip showing one.

Excellent background work! I always think the graphics in the game I'm working on are okay, then I see something like this... (sighs heavily). Is the player ship customizable in any way?

S

steveyg90

Excellent background work! I always think the graphics in the game I'm working on are okay, then I see something like this... (sighs heavily). Is the player ship customizable in any way?
Hi and many thanks. The ship will be customizable / upgradeable. I've spent most of my time so far getting my 'space engine' to work very efficiently and the alien ship movements. Lots of assets are bought in gfx wise as my
art sucks and this game is all being coded just by myself!

S

steveyg90

Thanks guys. Game been on hold for a few months as I finished Hell Hole game.