• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Flare: The Pryo Saga

Twitter Header Logo.png

Description:

Flare: The Pryo Saga is a hand-drawn 2D platformer akin to classics like Donkey Kong Country, Rayman Orgins/Legends and Mega Man with the visual style akin to Saturday Morning Cartoons (Looney Tunes, Popeye, Ren and Stimpy etc).

Story/Plot:

Lucia(the Goddess of Chaos) and her band of monsters(called the Boogies), have invaded the land of Tiuego. Flare must defeat her and the beasts to restore peace and order across the land. However, she is only on this quest because her precious bird has been stolen and really doesn't care what happens to the world(she has enough drama as is).

Progress:

The game is very early in development and we are still working on the basics but here is what we been working on:

There will be a total of 6 levels(more if we have the time) consisting of platforming and shooing. Each level will contain a mini-boss and a main boss.

It's only just 2 people working on Flare. I, myself as the artist/animator/background artist etc and Joe Ellis as the programmer. We do not know if we are going to hire anyone else for art, programming, etc because it can get expensive and it takes money, but if we do have some cash, we'll be looking on here and other places.

As you see We still have a long ways to go, but it has been a learning experience for the both of us and I hope to release a quality game when it comes to release.

Last edited:
More progress on "Project Flare". We fleshed out the air combo a bit(which needs a ton of tweaking), added a few basic enemy types and added a health system. Everything is subject to change :)

This is starting to come together. This isn’t the final art through and everything could change, but there is where the background and art direction is heading to. Composition wise, there needs a lot of work between Flare and the background objects because they need to be bigger.

If anyone has suggestions, please let me know.

D

dcamod

Well your programmer Joe Ellis has given me some advice recently so maybe I can throw in some suggestions as to what I would do and hopefully help you with some ideas at the least. I see where you are going but I am unsure how much you would like Flare to stick out from the background. The best I can do is tell you what I would do with it if it were my scene. I would change the time of day to evening, dawn, or night so that Flare does not stick out too much from the background and add a bit of red/orange/yellow/purple haze or fog to help blend the atmosphere with the character and background. Some other forest life like animated firefly's/butterfly's/caterpillars etc... will help fill the void and give more life to the scene as well as some rocks or logs. I noticed some things are shaded and some are not. I would shade everything to bring the details together at the same level of detail. I am not sure why you feel the background needs to be bigger. I would just make it seem more alive and add atmosphere. Honestly I am just trying to return a favor. :) Anyway I hope it helps get you thinking at least. Goodluck! I like your animations!

Edit: Possibly keep the color scheme and just add in some light and shadow along with some forest life and extra detail like rocks and flowers. lol Sorry I had to throw that in there too. I always have so many varying iterations to my artwork so I figured another perspective could not hurt.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well your programmer Joe Ellis has given me some advice recently so maybe I can throw in some suggestions as to what I would do and hopefully help you with some ideas at the least. I see where you are going but I am unsure how much you would like Flare to stick out from the background. The best I can do is tell you what I would do with it if it were my scene. I would change the time of day to evening, dawn, or night so that Flare does not stick out too much from the background and add a bit of red/orange/yellow/purple haze or fog to help blend the atmosphere with the character and background. Some other forest life like animated firefly's/butterfly's/caterpillars etc... will help fill the void and give more life to the scene as well as some rocks or logs. I noticed some things are shaded and some are not. I would shade everything to bring the details together at the same level of detail. I am not sure why you feel the background needs to be bigger. I would just make it seem more alive and add atmosphere. Honestly I am just trying to return a favor. :) Anyway I hope it helps get you thinking at least. Goodluck! I like your animations!

Edit: Possibly keep the color scheme and just add in some light and shadow along with some forest life and extra detail like rocks and flowers. lol Sorry I had to throw that in there too. I always have so many varying iterations to my artwork so I figured another perspective could not hurt.
Thank you. The animations will be the most time consuming part. Heck, the backgrounds are not going to take alot of time to make. The morning to dusk concept sounds pretty neat. I will need to see how we could implement it in the game somehow.

I will def keep that in mind when working on the backgrounds. I know in Dust, he drew bunnies and butterflies and made the tress/bushes move to put life into the scenery.

wow. Great work OP! I love the style you're going for. Based on the animations alone, it looks like something, I'd playa lot!
Thank you, we still have a ways to go in terms of the animations, but I am going to tell ya right now its going to look alot better then what I been posting :)

Last edited:
Here are some work in process animations I been working on. There apart of Flare's move pool. They are not complete yet and I hope to make some corrections to them in the up coming weeks.

Some WIP animations been working on this week. They still need more corrections to be fixed and I need to finish inking the rest of these. Suggestions are welcome and I will polish later in development :)

Here's some stuff I been working on this week. There still needs a ton of work to be done with this because I am not satisfied, but its a start. The first pic is just a wip of her idle and I colored the first frame to see what that would look like. I hope to get the rest of it inked by tomorrow or so and the second pic is just a wip animation of her main punch combo.

I hope to have some more exciting in the next couple of weeks, but are are certain things and obstacles I will need to take care of before we can move forward :)

Some more progress. It is still very early, but we are getting somewhere with it. I hope to add more in the upcoming weeks :)

I wanted to work on Flare's design a bit more, this is where it is heading, I will need to change her ears through.

Here is a little update. We added an uppercut and refined the air combo. A ton of work needs to be done, but we are getting there. We will add the completed animations later.

Refined the jump and air combo animations. There still needs a lot of refining and adding more animations, but this is added to the right direction.

Been trying to rework some of the assets for the background. There still needs a lot of work to be done with this, but I am liking the direction where this is heading.

If anyone has suggestions, please let me know :)

Added the new run animation and the fireball animation/mechanic in the build. Its not the effect we want, but its a start.

The fireball move has many functions, but I cant say what they are yet. The enemies are not going to be blown away by the fireball like that, that was only a test.

Been working on the background design all week .There still needs a lot of work to be done and this isn't the final art at all, I can push this further and improve the assets. Suggestions are welcome :)

Just a small little update. This is part of Flare's basic moveset in which she will use a fury of punches on her foes. There still needs a ton of work to get done, but I like how this is heading. Suggestions are welcome :)

Hopefully, in the next couple of weeks(or month), I hope to have a huge update as to where this is heading :)

We added a forward and backward dash mechanic for dodging projectiles and other "supernatural forces", added more to the main combo and added a jump kick. There needs a lot of tuning, but we are getting closer to the "complete" move set.

I'm a sucker for some smooth 2D animation and this is really smooth! Nice work and I can appreciate how tedious it is to include so much detail into the movement of a character like this!

Looking great.

I'm a sucker for some smooth 2D animation and this is really smooth! Nice work and I can appreciate how tedious it is to include so much detail into the movement of a character like this!

Looking great.
Thank You, 2D animation can be tedious and difficult, especially since your new to it and animating everything by your self, but I hope I can draw faster and more fluently :)

Fantastic animation, I love it! This looks super rad, keep it up!
Thank You :)

Arashi

Your animation skill is amazing.
But character design.. I will certanly not play this game because of it. Not my taste.

Last edited:

Its been a while since we posted anything, but here is the progress so far.

Flare has a basic combo system(similar to the original Battletoads), but they will be completely changed. I know for a fact that there needs a bit of variety in her attacks and she needs to do more then just punches. She has a dash move in which she can dash from left and right, its for dodging attacks and other unknown objects. We also added a coin system as well. The coins will help her buy new attributes to boost up her attack/defense status. We inserted the painted assets and we added the parallax scrolling, til needs a ton of work, but we are getting to what the game is going to be like.

There is a ton of work to be done and we have a ways to go, but we are getting closer to what the format of the game is going to be like. There will be a ton of changes, so all of this you see here is just placeholder material for now(yay, those splatterhouse enemies aren't going to be in the game XD). If anyone has suggestions, please us know.

Here are some WIP animations I been working on for the past couple of weeks, The idle and run animations to be exact. They are not final and are subject to change, there's alot that needs to be improved on :)

Colored the run animation during my spare time. There are still some adjustments I need to change(I also need to add the tail). I am going to be coloring frames all next week, what fun XD

Here are some animations I colored this week. I hope to put them in the game engine in the next couple of days to see how they blend together. These are the final through because i will need to add some highlights/shadows to the animations, but I am liking how these are turning out :)

Started to add some of the color animations into the build and I personally think they look fantastic. I still need to make some serious tweaks, but I like the direction where this is heading, its making the character look a lot more solid.

There are some colored animations that I posted which are not in the build, but we will get them in the next couple of days

Here are some animations I colored in the past couple of days. I still have a couple of more to color and I will have Flare's main move-set "completed"

Idle animation of Flare's "super" form I been working on. This is a WIP and it is not the final animation(colors are subject to change too).