• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Discussion About Spine Support for GMS2

A

adithya28

I wanted to use Spine for making animations for a platformer, the general consensus seems to be that GMS2's spine support is abysmal, I would appreciate it if anyone can recommend me a good animation program for platformer animations.

Also, I would like to know if the spine runtimes are going to be updated anytime soon. The last update seems to be in mid 2017.

Last edited by a moderator:

rIKmAN

I wanted to use Spine for making animations for a platformer, the general consensus seems to be that GMS2's spine support is abysmal, I would appreciate it if anyone can recommend me a good animation program for platformer animations.

Also, I would like to know if the spine runtimes are going to be updated anytime soon. The last update seems to be in mid 2017.
Spine support is lacking, and the runtimes supported are extremely outdated.

Depending what you want to do the current implementation will probably be fine, but you won't be able to use any newer / advanced features from later versions of Spine. Things upto and including v3.4.02 work (FFD, meshes, IK etc) but features added after that aren't supported (such as tint black, weight painting, point attachments etc).

If you are just animating basic skeletons then I doubt you'll have any issues, but you have to be aware of the limitations imposed on the GMS side with regards to Spine skeletons such as: no skew keys, only 1 texture page per skeleton, no slot colouring via native code (although this is possible) etc etc

A Spine update is on the GMS2 Roadmap in the "Upcoming" section, although no date has been given for when that might be done, we just know it's on the list: https://help.yoyogames.com/hc/en-us/articles/231719448-GMS2-Roadmap

Spine support is lacking, and the runtimes supported are extremely outdated.

Depending what you want to do the current implementation will probably be fine, but you won't be able to use any newer / advanced features from later versions of Spine. Things upto and including v3.4.02 work (FFD, meshes, IK etc) but features added after that aren't supported (such as tint black, weight painting, point attachments etc).

If you are just animating basic skeletons then I doubt you'll have any issues, but you have to be aware of the limitations imposed on the GMS side with regards to Spine skeletons such as: no skew keys, only 1 texture page per skeleton, no slot colouring via native code (although this is possible) etc etc

A Spine update is on the GMS2 Roadmap in the "Upcoming" section, although no date has been given for when that might be done, we just know it's on the list: https://help.yoyogames.com/hc/en-us/articles/231719448-GMS2-Roadmap

I have a project that uses spine animations. One I learned that the only exports GMS2 supports is 3.4.02, I had my spine animator use only that version. However I have some exports from 3.4.02 that will not load. I am using the latest version of GMS 2. Any ideas on how to troubleshoot this? The import error i get is "
Spine Error : s_Ghost : Invalid atlas file for C:\Users\guidr\Dropbox\GameDEV\GMS2_Projects\FearlessSpine\sprites\s_Ghost\2680f300-706d-4e99-8279-d9e7c8061989.json"

rIKmAN

I have a project that uses spine animations. One I learned that the only exports GMS2 supports is 3.4.02, I had my spine animator use only that version. However I have some exports from 3.4.02 that will not load. I am using the latest version of GMS 2. Any ideas on how to troubleshoot this? The import error i get is "
Spine Error : s_Ghost : Invalid atlas file for C:\Users\guidr\Dropbox\GameDEV\GMS2_Projects\FearlessSpine\sprites\s_Ghost\2680f300-706d-4e99-8279-d9e7c8061989.json"
The error is telling you the .atlas file is invalid.

Are you certain that the files have been exported from 3.4.02?
Are you certain that you have re-imported these 3.4.02 files into GMS?

Check the contents of the .atlas file in a text editor, you will probably find the path that points to the png file is incorrect.
Without seeing the files I would guess that your artist hasn't changed the "path" inside Spine for a few of your files that are giving errors.

If the .atlas file looks correct, do these specific sprites have more than 1 png texture, as only a single texture is currently supported in GMS2.