• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Game Maker's Apprentice

C

cptcanuck1

Hello, I was just wondering, my daughter took Application Development in University a number a years ago and she game me the book - The Game Maker's Apprentice. Is this book still a valid learning tool for GameMaker Studio 2? I'm a complete beginner to the Game App development world and while I am sure there are a lot of differences, I thought I might still be able to learn and work through with this book? At the very least, the resources look pretty nice

Thanks

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
Not anymore. That book teaches the Drag-and-Drop interface, which has been completely redone in GMS 2 to look like a flowchart instead of a list. In addition, there have been at least 3 major rewrites from when that book was written until now.

You could try to make out some things that still apply (e.g. the concept of object instances being placed in rooms), but for a beginner I would not recommend learning the hard way what has changed and what hasn't.

It's a great collectible for today's GM aficionados, but not a great starter for today's GM learners.

Last edited:
C

cptcanuck1

Not anymore. That book teaches the Drag-and-Drop interface, which has been completely redone in GMS 2 to look like a flowchart instead of a list. In addition, there have been at least 3 major rewrites from when that book was written until now.

You could try to make out some things that still apply (e.g. the concept of object instances being placed in rooms), but for a beginner I would not recommend learning the hard way what has changed and what hasn't.

It's a great collectible for today's GM aficionados, but not a great starter for today's GM learners.
Thank you, I kind of thought as much but had to ask because it is such a nice book.

Rob

Thank you, I kind of thought as much but had to ask because it is such a nice book.
There are loads of tutorials on the internet in written or video form. I don't know if that's useful to you but I would definitely check some of them out if I were you ;)

MaGicBush

Hah I have that book :D. I remember making some arcade style games after using it to learn gml. It doesn't really do just drag and drop as suggested above, and goes into a lot of coding but yea it's outdated as heck now.

D

dannyjenn

It's very outdated but from what I've seen it's not completely worthless. GameMaker still uses events and follows the same general workflow and everything, so you may be able to learn a thing or two.