• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Mac OSX GMS2TEMP folder taking up 50gbs of space

U

Ufy

So I was casually looking up as to why I have 1 gigabyte of space left on my Macbook air when I stumbled across this folder called GMS2TEMP. It had 50 Gigabyte worth of folders in there. Confused, I deleted 20GB worth of files, and my games are working perfectly. What is this folder, and should I delete all its contents?

rIKmAN

So I was casually looking up as to why I have 1 gigabyte of space left on my Macbook air when I stumbled across this folder called GMS2TEMP. It had 50 Gigabyte worth of folders in there. Confused, I deleted 20GB worth of files, and my games are working perfectly. What is this folder, and should I delete all its contents?
They are the temp files created by GMS2 when you run your projects.

If you go to File > Preferences > General Settings > Paths you will see 3 buttons to delete the temp folder and the asset / ide cache manually, and also 3 tickboxes which will delete them automatically when GMS2 closes.

Remember to click Apply if you tick the boxes to save the settings - I just have the temp directory deleted on close.

bsabiston

I was having this problem -- I looked in the Preferences and I already had that 'delete temp folders on close' ticked. But it has not been deleting them. There's over 80 GB of folders all with my project name on them. Why the hell does it make a new folder each time? Not only is it not deleting the temp folder, but it adds a new one apparently every time it runs, sheesh.

H

HW.

I was having this problem -- I looked in the Preferences and I already had that 'delete temp folders on close' ticked. But it has not been deleting them. There's over 80 GB of folders all with my project name on them. Why the hell does it make a new folder each time? Not only is it not deleting the temp folder, but it adds a new one apparently every time it runs, sheesh.
It makes new temp folder because it needs to do it to run/compile our projects.

I think the problem is more of why it doesn't delete eventhough you already had that 'delete temp folders on close' ticked. You should report it as a bug to YoYo team.

However, Although my pc isn't a Mac, it uses Windows 10, the case similarly happens to me, because after exploring my hardisks in windows explorer i also see Tons of Temp folders for my old projects, and i already ticked that "clean on exit settings", but it looks like the temp cleaning doesn't clean them all? perhaps, because of many versions of IDE that changes everytime we update the IDE??, i don't know, perhaps submitting a bug report via https://accounts.yoyogames.com/contact-us#account can answer the case??

bsabiston

Well -- say you did not have that 'delete on close' checked. That would mean it would use the same temp folder every time, right? So then it should not need to be always making new ones. It does seem like a bug with the 'delete on close' box. I'm probably better off having that not checked, since it would probably only keep around one temp folder.

BoB3k

I can report this is still an issue on Windows 7. I have that box checked, AND tried to press the button. The files were still there -- 25 GIGS worth!! I had to delete them manually from the directory in a File Explorer. It took like 20 mins to delete it all! That's ridiculous.