• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Android Game on Android crashes whenever app loses focus

P

Patacorow

Hello,

I'm trying to create an update my game (it is already listed on Google Play/App Store). I've updated GMS2, but now after compiling my game to Android, the app crashes every time the app loses focus.

This happens when an overlay is shown (such as the Google Play Game Services sign-in window), a link is opened (url_open) in the browser, or any time the user presses the home button to minimize the app.

I've already tried:

• Clearing cache.
  • Updating to the latest supported Android API, SDK Tools, and NDK along with the latest supported JDK.
  • Compiling for YYC (didn't work, too many errors to work it out).
I am using GameMaker Studio 2.2.0.343.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
I think this is an issue with the 2.2.*** runtime... roll back to a previous runtime (2.1.***) and test again.

P

Patacorow

I think this is an issue with the 2.2.*** runtime... roll back to a previous runtime (2.1.***) and test again.
How do I perform a roll back?

EDIT: Nevermind, figured it out myself. The game compiles and runs fine now, should I push this apk, or should I wait for the new runtime to be fixed?

Last edited by a moderator:

Mataca

I have the same problem. How can I do this rollback?

Edit: I deleted the runtime 2.2 from the gm2 folder, but when I open GM2 rt2.2 download again.

Edit2: I already did. Is a runtime problem. Now is working with an older version.

Last edited:

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
EDIT: Nevermind, figured it out myself. The game compiles and runs fine now, should I push this apk, or should I wait for the new runtime to be fixed?
Afaik, you should be fine to publish APKs built with the previous runtime.

H

HW.

If i am you, I am waiting for the new runtime if i am using "NDK 17c" (which is specifically just for 2.2.0 IDE/runtime), For the 2.1.4/2.1.5 according to the official GMS2 Required SDK guide it should use "NDK 16b", not 17c. Hmm... i am talking about "YYC apk" by the way..

In case you are using the "IDE 2.2.0 but with runtime 2.1.5 and also but with NDK 17c" which isn't according to the recommended guide, i think you shouldn't be in a hurry to push the apk in the playstore before testing it multiple times in multiple devices. Especially If you don't expect the players to uninstall your game as soon as it gets crash which some of them will leave a 1* rating on the store which will hurt your app reputation later.

But in the case you're using "IDE 2.1.5 and also runtime 2.1.5 and also NDK 16b" according to the previous official guide, i think that is okay to push the apk (after your own thorough testings) if you are in deadline by choosing to be in a status quo that you don't use anything of this recent update (NDK 17c and 2.2.0 ide what i meant here, the Java JDK and build tools and api settings are the same by the way, only that two that changed which matters because of the recent change of the build process YoYo made for especially the 2.2.0 such as "armv5 and mips will not work anymore et cetera described on other threads").

However........I smell new runtime .259? hotfix update (and also IDE .344? hotfix update) are coming very soon in the next few days ;)

I really hope: Both will solve the sleep state crash on Android YYC using "NDK 17c that uses IDE 2.2.0 that uses runtime 2.2.0" because i don't want to rollback and want to taste this current version to work well :p

EDIT: Please note that i refer to the YYC apk, and wasn't talking about the "VM version" by the way, because the NDK is a specific use for the "YYC apk" to compile.

Jack S

Afaik, you should be fine to publish APKs built with the previous runtime.
I can confirm we recently pushed an update with the 218 runtime built with the 343 interface (since the 248 and 258 runtimes have critical bugs we can't ship with.)

N

Nivram Langga

How do I perform a roll back?

How did you performed rollback?
I'm getting error whenever I install an older version of runtime..
it keeps on saying "string not found system net webexception the remote name could gm2016.yoyogames.com"