• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

OFFICIAL GMS2 Version 2.2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

c023-DeV

2.2.0.343 is out now and adds the following two fixes:

0029949: Font Editor: Using add existing on a font resource doesn't set the texture group to default
0030057: Saving: Texture, Audio and Font groups are reset to Default each time a project is opened

EDIT: Steam's Default branch is now updated also - for anyone who had startup crashes with the Desktop product on Mac this is now fixed.
0030057: Saving: Texture, Audio and Font groups are reset to Default each time a project is opened

Can confirm that this works here now, thanks for the quick fix!

Dan

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
We have now confirmed all of the following and are preparing a runtime update (likely releasing early next week) to include:

https://bugs.yoyogames.com/view.php?id=30064 - HTML5: instance_create_layer() no longer works
https://bugs.yoyogames.com/view.php?id=30068 - Windows: Crash when using get_string_async() and get_integer_async()
https://bugs.yoyogames.com/view.php?id=30067 - Android: Null pointer audio device crash when resuming games from sleep state in 2.2.0
https://bugs.yoyogames.com/view.php?id=29655 - Build iOS: Unable to build for YYC in Xcode 10 as we use angle brackets to define headers, which is no longer supported

K

kakatoto

And what about the bug with surfaces and draw_clear_alpha ? Am I the only one to experience some bugs with that ? No object blinking ?

Dan

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
And what about the bug with surfaces and draw_clear_alpha ? Am I the only one to experience some bugs with that ? No object blinking ?
That will require investigation of a sample project to determine the cause and then make a fix if required. As it's a rendering issue, it's likely to have knock-ons which will require a lot of projects to be tested, so we can't guarantee a timeframe for that one.

The 4 above, we already had fixes for in an internal version, so they're quick and easy to bring over.

K

kakatoto

That will require investigation of a sample project to determine the cause and then make a fix if required. As it's a rendering issue, it's likely to have knock-ons which will require a lot of projects to be tested, so we can't guarantee a timeframe for that one.

The 4 above, we already had fixes for in an internal version, so they're quick and easy to bring over.
Thank you for your reply. I have tried to isolate the problem in a small project but I could not so far, since I have tons of lines of codes in it. All I know for now is that the problem occurs when I use the function draw_surface. Possible draw_clear_alpha. For now I have switched back to the previous runtime and it works. I hope Yoyo will let us select old runtime versions later.

K

Kululu17

Hi All - would you please offer an option under preferences to disable update notifications? I really prefer to wait until an update has proven itself it be stable, and not be reminded ever single time I start the program that there is an update available.

c023-DeV

When I build games with the YYC then it takes about 4-5 seconds to exit the game using:

game_end();

Works fine with the VM build. Game exits instantly.
Anyone else have this?

vortexvt

The worst release ever.
GMS2 freezes at startup, 80-90% of the time. Just impossible to use. W10, last update.

Tried to compiled a game for android after the update. YYC does not work at all. Tried NDK 18 and 17c, problem with removed MIPS. I don't even use MIPS in my game.
I was able to set up GMS2 so that the compilation was successful. But still game crash after the start with both YYC and VM version.

It works stably (both GMS and my game) if I return to the previous version of the gamemaker.

Last edited:

Arashi

I confirm this problem. Described it here: https://forum.yoyogames.com/index.php?threads/my-shadows-does-not-work-any-more.53804/

Switched to 2.15, waiting for fix.

matharoo

manualman
GameMaker Dev.
With this new version, my HTML5 games freeze at start and my Android apps crash.

Anyone else facing the same issues?

Both issues have been reported.

vortexvt

2.2.0 Runtimes - Async Dialog event crash the game in 100% of cases in Android and PC. Maybe other pratforms too, don't have time to check.

matharoo

manualman
GameMaker Dev.
2.2.0 Runtimes - Async Dialog event crash the game in 100% of cases in Android and PC. Maybe other pratforms too, don't have time to check.
Oh, so it's the Social Async event causing the crash in my Android apps! Thanks for pointing it out.

At least the issue is less vague now.

spinout

The worst release ever.
GMS2 freezes at startup, 80-90% of the time. Just impossible to use. W10, last update.

Tried to compiled a game for android after the update. YYC does not work at all. Tried NDK 18 and 17c, problem with removed MIPS. I don't even use MIPS in my game.
I was able to set up GMS2 so that the compilation was successful. But still game crash after the start with both YYC and VM version.

It works stably (both GMS and my game) if I return to the previous version of the gamemaker.
What settings did you use, for NDK and anything else to get it working?

Jack S

@Dan Thank you so much - you have been 10000% more responsive than what we got last update. I and I'm sure other here really appreciate it!

T

tobo

Which product do you have on Steam - Desktop, Mobile, Web, or UWP?

EDIT: NVM, we have identified an issue specific to the Desktop product on Mac. This has now been fixed, so update on Steam and it will start v343.
Thanks!

H

HW.

When I build games with the YYC then it takes about 4-5 seconds to exit the game using:

game_end();

Works fine with the VM build. Game exits instantly.
Anyone else have this?
Me too.
YYC apk. crash too..
And it is not waiting, but will instantly crash on my physical Android devices (and on AVD emulator too).
As soon as i exit the game ("Back" Android button which has setup of backspace key press event with game_end(); on it which used to make the app on background process is now crash on 2.2.0, 2.1.5 is okay.)

"Unfortunately, the apk has stopped"

And it is not just "game_end() on Android" that gets crash, but also the "default button of Android OS UI" such as "Home", "Recent apps", and more...
Test anything that makes the game lose focus (os pause/sleep) and you will see the crash too.

@Dan, is this game_end(); Android crash a part of the effect of the https://bugs.yoyogames.com/view.php?id=30067 - Android: Null pointer audio device crash when resuming games from sleep state in 2.2.0 ?

@Dan, is this also a part of the effect of the https://bugs.yoyogames.com/view.php?id=30067 - Android: Null pointer audio device crash when resuming games from sleep state in 2.2.0 ?

T

Tryzna

No you are not, reapply your camera just after surface reset and it will hopefuly work. Example below, line 396. Hope that will help.

upload_2018-10-5_5-51-2.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Since updating to 2.2.0.343 none of my projects will compile and run (Windows VM). The output goes through all the usual compilation stuff and then shows C:\WiNDOWS\sytem32\cmd.exe DONE (0)

No window for the game, nothing. I tried Clean and that didn't help either. If I attempt to run again it tells me that the project is already running.

It also seems to be very unstable now as well, as others have noted start up often leaves me with a white screen that I have to force quit.

My PC is running the Windows 10 October 2018 update - if that makes a difference.

UPDATE:
I reverted my Windows to the previous major release to see if it was stopping the game from building but it still didn't work. So I switched to the previous runtime v2.1.5.246 thinking that perhaps the 2.2 runtime was dodgy. Still can't get my projects to run properly after building.

GMS2 Desktop (not steam).

Last edited:
B

Briana83

I had a game that was working on the html5 platform. I added a sprite randomizer, the same one I had on a different object [but with different sprites]. It doesn't work anymore, but it still works on the Windows target!

matharoo

manualman
GameMaker Dev.
I had a game that was working on the html5 platform. I added a sprite randomizer, the same one I had on a different object [but with different sprites]. It doesn't work anymore, but it still works on the Windows target!
Try rolling back to runtime 2.1.5?

UPDATE: Managed to fix the issue of a windows game building but not running. I had to do a full uninstall using iolo Uninstaller to clear out all the little left over bits. Then I deleted the entire ProgramData/GameMaker Studio 2 folder and then reinstalled. After that I just loaded my project and it ran successfully. Phew.

I would like to add that I made no changes to my project between upgrading from 2.1.5 and 2.2.0. I just installed the update, loaded my project and attempted to run it to check everything was still working - and it failed to run.

Anyway, panic over.

B

Better Nature

I am also having issues similar to Arashi and Kakatoto. In any room where I draw my water shaders to a surface, not only does the surface not appear, but certain layers in the room don't draw at all, including my main instance layer and some foreground tile layers. I don't use surfaces in rooms without water and everything draws fine in those cases. I haven't been able to figure out how my instance and other layer drawing is being prevented by my water surface drawing. If I figure it out I will update in this thread. I dialed back to previous backups of my game where the code was definitely working, and the issue is present in those as well, so I know that it has to be related to this update and not my own code.

Here's my water surface code for reference, it's in the Draw Event:
Code:
if(water_on == true)
    {
    //create water surface 1
    if(!surface_exists(surf_water)) surf_water = surface_create(room_width,room_height);

surface_set_target(surf_water);
    draw_sprite(w_depth,0,0,0);

gpu_set_blendmode_ext(bm_dest_alpha, bm_zero);
    draw_sprite_tiled(spr_water_ripples_02,0,w_x,w_y);
    gpu_set_blendmode(bm_normal);
    surface_reset_target();

if(surface_exists(surf_water)) draw_surface(surf_water,0,0);
    }
Update: I went back to Runtime 2.1.5.246 and the problem was fixed. The latest Runtime released on 10/9/18 has the same problem as before.

Ricardo

Based on the previous updates and their releases, I'm afraid its going to be a month or 3.
The HTML5 module is basically broken in the latest runtime. It will be very unprofessional if it stay like that for 3 months (sure, I can rollback for the previous one, but that mean I lost the "fixes" of the latest runtime. Also, new users will get confused as they won't expect that the default runtime basically doesn't work with the module they just bought).

Based on the previous updates and their releases, I'm afraid its going to be a month or 3.
It's been less than a week since @Dan said they had fixes done internally, so I doubt that they will spend the next 1-3 months doing their testing and packaging. I would expect the 4 items to be released as a new version very shortly, especially as they did a hotfix for the last set of bugs so I would expect them to do the same again.

H

Hampej

We have now confirmed all of the following and are preparing a runtime update (likely releasing early next week) to include:

https://bugs.yoyogames.com/view.php?id=30064 - HTML5: instance_create_layer() no longer works
https://bugs.yoyogames.com/view.php?id=30068 - Windows: Crash when using get_string_async() and get_integer_async()
https://bugs.yoyogames.com/view.php?id=30067 - Android: Null pointer audio device crash when resuming games from sleep state in 2.2.0
https://bugs.yoyogames.com/view.php?id=29655 - Build iOS: Unable to build for YYC in Xcode 10 as we use angle brackets to define headers, which is no longer supported

How long until this fix is out? :)

DukeSoft

The HTML5 module is basically broken in the latest runtime. It will be very unprofessional if it stay like that for 3 months (sure, I can rollback for the previous one, but that mean I lost the "fixes" of the latest runtime. Also, new users will get confused as they won't expect that the default runtime basically doesn't work with the module they just bought).
It's been less than a week since @Dan said they had fixes done internally, so I doubt that they will spend the next 1-3 months doing their testing and packaging. I would expect the 4 items to be released as a new version very shortly, especially as they did a hotfix for the last set of bugs so I would expect them to do the same again.
2.1.5 had the 3D audio broken, which is not a small thing in my opinion. It basically broke my game, and it was fixed quite fast as well, its just that it only was released with 2.2.0. Thats why I'm saying it might take 3 months.

K

kakatoto

This is very sad that Yoyo is ruining its reputation by its own. And there is still the problem with surfaces that occurs for several users on the forum. Very very sad.

H

Hampej

2.1.5 had the 3D audio broken, which is not a small thing in my opinion. It basically broke my game, and it was fixed quite fast as well, its just that it only was released with 2.2.0. Thats why I'm saying it might take 3 months.
In this case they wrote that a fix should be out this week? Don't think it will take 3 months.

K

kakatoto

And what about the problem with surfaces ? And what about the problem with non-exited status error which makes crash half of my run ? God GMS2 is a pile of bugs.

DukeSoft

The runtime feed is now updated with those fixes. You should get an update notification in the IDE next time you start up, or you can refresh the feed now from Preferences > Runtime Feeds > Master.
Thanks for proving me wrong :D

H

Hampej

Compiling to YYC for ios 12.0.1 on mac IDE makes mono crash every time on mono version 5.10.1.57. Im using newest runtime 2.2.0.269. Tried with newest mono version 5.16.0.179 but there i just get build error. Also tried with mono version 4.8.0.520 (the one who comes with GMS) dosent work eather. Can build both VM and YYC on my ipad air 2 with IOS 11.3.1 and mono 5.10.1.57. My mac is running Mohave and Xcode 10.

Edit - Compiling for my ipad, then switching in xcode to my Iphone with 12.0.1 seems to work. Mono only crashes in game maker when building to ios 12.0.1

spinout

I'm still getting an error trying to build YYC for Android:

make: *** create_child_process: DuplicateHandle(In) failed (e=6)

Anyone else with this issue?

H

HW.

Tried 2.2.0.261 runtime, and it looks like the onpause/sleep crash doesn't appear anymore. Thank you for the .261 hotfix.

However, i also found some very LONG LINES of Java/gradle lint error logs (as far as i remembered something about annotations.zip or annotations.xml not found on c:\android\sdk\platform-tools\api\...) while building, but it gives a Build Successful in the end. I will test again to see if it has any impact on the final .apk. I hope it will keep stable.

D

Deleted member 13992

Can confirm surfaces are broken on my end as well, using latest runtime.

I'm considering disabling automatic updates if the option exists (haven't checked yet). I know the YYG team mean well (thankful for their work!) but this sort of thing is really disruptive. I basically can't work at all, in fear that "fixing" it now just makes it broken again when the runtime is actually fixed. Since I'd be hacking code which was working already.

meltypixel

In the previous version, there was an issue with 3D sounds and a crackling that accompanied the doppler effect when you set an audio emitter's velocity. I submitted a bug, and it was resolved two months later. But it appears the solution was to eliminate the doppler effect entirely... which doesn't seem right.

I've submitted a new bug report, but figured I'd make a post here in case anyone else is wondering what's up.

Dan

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
Compiling to YYC for ios 12.0.1 on mac IDE makes mono crash every time on mono version 5.10.1.57. Im using newest runtime 2.2.0.269. Tried with newest mono version 5.16.0.179 but there i just get build error. Also tried with mono version 4.8.0.520 (the one who comes with GMS) dosent work eather. Can build both VM and YYC on my ipad air 2 with IOS 11.3.1 and mono 5.10.1.57. My mac is running Mohave and Xcode 10.

Edit - Compiling for my ipad, then switching in xcode to my Iphone with 12.0.1 seems to work. Mono only crashes in game maker when building to ios 12.0.1
We have already upgraded the version of Mono GMS2 uses for the next (2.2.1) release, as Mojave doesn't like the version we're using. For now, you will need to use the workaround of targeting an older device in GMS2.

If you haven't already, please do send us a helpdesk ticket with your compiler log and ui.log for when you get that error, though, and we will ensure the issue is resolved for 2.2.1. Thanks.

Slyddar

And as a proposal...
Can YoYo to include me and others who are willing to beta testers? I have finished projects for Android in which I use a lot of different features. I often find bugs in the first 15 minutes after installing the next update.
At least, such terrible punctures could become less.
Yoyo, you need to seriously consider such a request. A core group of testers are needed as you are damaging your reputation amongst your hardcore audience. You are doing yourself a strong disservice by not implementing something that can only benefit all users, and yourself, in the long run. It's been proven over and over that your current system is completely flawed, indicating this will continue. Please implement something like this as consumer confidence in your ability to correctly patch your own product is incredibly low.

M

Marcus12321

I find it hard to believe they do not have a huge set of major projects that they compile with any new updates to make sure all is working well before they release it to the public.

And by huge, I mean, like a hundred or more. Multiple styles of projects on each platform.

P

Patacorow

Are there any news about the Android crash? My app has been down for two whole weeks and I can't resubmit it for review because the build is completely broken.
This is extremely frustrating, how did they not see this while testing???

Status
Not open for further replies.