Suggestion Forum Skin

S

Snail Man

I hate to be "that guy", but like many others, I used to traverse the GMC using the lovely light skin that was provided. The lack of that option here is a bit jarring, so I suggest bringing back some form of light forum skin for those that used to prefer that.

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Side note, I more or less always used the dark skin since it's easier on your eyes (especially in the middle of the night)... and everyone else that showed forum screenshots apparently didn't. I really like the dark skin and still does :3

W

Weegeesquare

Nah man, you don't need a light skin.

Dark Skin Master Race all the way!

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
dark/light skin selection is always very polarizing, almost 50/50 with those who love one, and hate the other. We will be adding a light skin of some sort for this very reason.

N

NPT

The problem with having two (contrasting) skins, was members were routinely changing the font colour. Often this resulted in posts that was readable by the OP but completely unreadable to those that used the opposite skin.

This happened routinely on the other forums.

You are not going to create skin(s) that are going to please everyone, so don't try. Do so will create the same unsolvable problem that existed on the old GMC.

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
Don't disagree, but I also know how annoying it is to try and read a forum in the negative colour than what you really want. If you're lucky, it's just horrible.... if your unlucky (like me), then you're eyes simply can't focus on the text and it "swims" around making it almost impossible to read. If this forum was black text on white background, I'd have to continually mark every line of text to be able to read any of it.

Fixing colour issues in a post, is a simpler matter than trying to fix peoples eyes :)

It's a small price to pay.......

A

Annoyed Grunt

Is there a way (like an userscript) to make the boxes around posts and avatars square rather than round?

N

NPT

Don't disagree, but I also know how annoying it is to try and read a forum in the negative colour than what you really want. If you're lucky, it's just horrible.... if your unlucky (like me), then you're eyes simply can't focus on the text and it "swims" around making it almost impossible to read. If this forum was black text on white background, I'd have to continually mark every line of text to be able to read any of it.

Fixing colour issues in a post, is a simpler matter than trying to fix peoples eyes :)

It's a small price to pay.......
Being Red/Green colour blind, I can assure you I am very aware of the problems of reading content written with poor colour choices. And the biggest issue has been issues created because of the opposing contrast of the two skins.

This is also particularly problematic when people paste content into the editor, instead of posting it as plain text. Doing it this way, preserves colour codes.

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
As I said.... I don't disagree, but I'd rather fix the few bad posts than not have a light skin for folk that really need it.

Baku

I was bored (procrastinating from exam preparations...), so I went ahead and created a simple light userstyle that people who really want it can use, until the official one comes out in 10 years ;)
It totally doesn't cover the entire forums yet, but the "main" parts (browsing categories, reading threads, viewing people's profiles) should look fine.

How to use it:
1. Install Stylish, or whatever user style manager you prefer. Here's the link for Stylish for Chrome.
2. Install my light GameMaker Forum userstyle. Here's the link to it.

EDIT: I improved it a bit. Please uninstall and install the userstyle again.

Preview:

Last edited:

Tim

I was bored (procrastinating from exam preparations...), so I went ahead and created a simple light userstyle that people who really want it can use, until the official one comes out in 10 years ;)
It totally doesn't cover the entire forums yet, but the "main" parts (browsing categories, reading threads, viewing people's profiles) should look fine.
Wow - that's pretty amazing. Well done!

woodsmoke

I wonder if the dark/light skin preference has something to do with how bright/dark the users workspace is.
I like dark skins and my lights down low.

Baku

I wonder if the dark/light skin preference has something to do with how bright/dark the users workspace is.
I like dark skins and my lights down low.
Maybe. But I think it depends on many factors from person to person.

Personally, when I am at home, then yeah, I like the dark skin more. My curtains are always about 3/4 down, so it never gets insanely bright in here, and the dark skin is easy on the eyes. Reminds me of all the other programs with dark skins that I use, too.
When I am using my laptop at uni or at the library or whatever, then I like white skins more. The screen is super reflective and less than 300 nits bright, so light skins with high contrast are easier to see.

chance

predictably random
Forum Staff
What's all this talk about race? I thought this was a religion topic.

Oh wait... that's Forum Skin. Sorry.

A

Andy

I hate to be "that guy", but like many others, I used to traverse the GMC using the lovely light skin that was provided. The lack of that option here is a bit jarring, so I suggest bringing back some form of light forum skin for those that used to prefer that.
Does the dark green theme remind you to much of the slime you use to move around the ground as a Snail? J/K :p

I agree, a light theme would be a nice addition to the forums.

Last edited by a moderator:
R

Rusty

The problem with having two (contrasting) skins, was members were routinely changing the font colour. Often this resulted in posts that was readable by the OP but completely unreadable to those that used the opposite skin.
Why punish half the regular user base because of the poor decision making in regards to font colour of a small few?

I'd rather see the option to change font colour removed from the forums. Why people feel the need to write in rainbows is truly beyond me.

R

roytheshort

Why punish half the regular user base because of the poor decision making in regards to font colour of a small few?

I'd rather see the option to change font colour removed from the forums. Why people feel the need to write in rainbows is truly beyond me.
Because rainbows are very magical.

I

icuurd12b42

How to use it:
1. Install Stylish, or whatever user style manager you prefer. Here's the link for Stylish for Chrome.
2. Install my light GameMaker Forum userstyle. Here's the link to it.

EDIT: I improved it a bit. Please uninstall and install the userstyle again.

Preview:
Oh God thank you!! I was just this close to having an emotional breakdown from depression. Why do people like to work in black like programmers are a bunch of emos!!

Surgeon_

Symbian Curator
I'm technically both an emo and a programmer...
I get a feeling that these days people mostly associate "emo" with sad, deluded kids too busy feeling sorry for themselves to be useful for the society; attention seekers; and a whole array of other various negative things.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to be hostile or anything - you don't strike me as any of the things mentioned above, and you've helped me and others countless times before - I'm just suggesting that you use a different name for whatever sub-culture it is that you identify yourself with, one that's not so frowned upon by the society.

At least that's what's it like from my perspective (I come from a country where "emo" rhymes with "beat up" - and yes, we do have songs based on that fact).

Again, please don't take offense from what I said.

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
I don't see why I should take offense as long as this is just being discussed on a meta level. Also, scratch "kids" and everything 'til the first semicolon fits me to a tee. :p I don't even really feel like there's any purpose in contributing to the society due to how effed up our current political situation is, the main reason I'm trying to get back into the loop and get a job again is because it would give me a better income.

I guess having a near-dying (not 'near-death', that means something different) experience does something with you mentally. Apart from being plagued by constantly (unintentionally) imagining how it feels to die and having a pretty good idea about how it feels, I've kinda reevaluated my view about working. I grew up very poor and always dreamed about being able to be able to afford things other people took for granted, but after my collapse I've realized I can't just spend my limited life on something I hate or I'll just burn out like this again. The problem is that I kinda can't do anything at all at the moment, because I don't know whether spending time on it is worth it. It's kinda hard to explain, but I'm basically completely paralyzed when it comes to starting doing anything at all. And then I end up just sitting in front of my computer coding and doing GMC things, because that's what's my 'ambient' behavior is so I don't need to start up anything new to do it.

Surgeon_

Symbian Curator
@Yal
My literature teacher always taught us that a close encounter with death leaves a man permanently scarred on the inside.

Still, the way I see it, being sad and scared is human and okay; and emo is being a b*tch about it.

But your condition is not without cure, and you still very much have a chance to lead a happy and fulfilled life - and I wish you good luck with that!

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Still, the way I see it, being sad and scared is human and okay; and emo is being a b*tch about it.
I guess that's one way of seeing it that coincides better with the current connotations of the word. So I'm just... human? Funnily enough, my first name apparently literally means 'person'.

To slowly inch back on topic... I guess the only way to please everybody would be to allow client-side theme creation so that you could pick your favourite colors for everything. Would that be possible/feasible? It'd also end up with more or less any post coloring formatting possibly breaking on a bunch of users because of their theme settings, and while it'd discourage color formatting I'm not really sure whether that's mostly a bad or a good thing... x3

I

icuurd12b42

I guess that's one way of seeing it that coincides better with the current connotations of the word. So I'm just... human? Funnily enough, my first name apparently literally means 'person'.

To slowly inch back on topic... I guess the only way to please everybody would be to allow client-side theme creation so that you could pick your favourite colors for everything. Would that be possible/feasible? It'd also end up with more or less any post coloring formatting possibly breaking on a bunch of users because of their theme settings, and while it'd discourage color formatting I'm not really sure whether that's mostly a bad or a good thing... x3
With Stylish it's possible. the only problem is figuring out what object uses what CSS tag... Perhaps someone could document them...