OFFICIAL GameMaker: Studio 1.4.9999 Released - FEEDBACK

Dan

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
New version is out now to fix:

The "Acquiring License" issue
The Lint issue with Bluetooth also needing to be enabled
The collision list functions in GMS2 blocking your GMS1 builds if you had a custom function with the same name
"Import from My Library" still appearing in the resource tree
0029763 Audio: Crackling occurs if you set an emitter's velocity
0029817 Audio: Clicking occurs if you change the pitch of an emitter
0029991 Debugger: Watches panel is defunct
0029992 General: image_blend behaves differently in GMS1 to GMS2
0029995 Font: font_add_sprite() is incorrectly offset in 1.4.9999, need to use font_add_sprite_ext() as workaround

As mentioned before, if you're on 9999 already you will need to use the installer, so here you go: http://store.yoyogames.com/downloads/gm-studio/GMStudio-Installer-1.4.9999.exe (Steam "Beta" branch has also been updated to match.)

I am aware that the list above does not cover everyone's reports so far, btw - we needed to get the licensing issue fix released.

nihilblack

It solved the license issue, but I've had to disable the AVG antivirus to run it, and that's something I didn't had to do this morning.

N

Nicholas B.

As mentioned above, we've realised this is a bug on our end and are putting out a new version which will fix.

Just FYI for anyone awaiting bug fixes I have said we're doing, you will need to download the new installer when it's available and overwrite your existing install, as the updater won't work with updating FROM 1.4.9999 (it does, of course work perfectly fine updating TO 9999).
Can I update to the latest build of 1.4.9999(assuming the bugs I listed in my previous post were fixed) through the updater since I downgraded to 1.4.1773 after trying out the 1.4.9999 beta?

EDIT: After updating to the latest build from 1.4.1773 again, Avast blocked the executable and it was uploaded to their examination servers. This was right after the updater extracted the downloaded packages. Note that clicking "I trust this file" does not actually let you run it. It merely sends them feedback saying you think the file is legitimate.

EDIT 2: Got a notification that said they determined the file was clean, so I was able to load the program. Noticed that audio_play_sound is still broken.

Last edited by a moderator:
N

Nicholas B.

OK, to elaborate on the audio_play_sound bug I am experiencing, all uses of audio_play_sound play incorrect sound effects.

For example: audio_play_sound(sndRing, 1, 0);

In 1.4.1773, the code above works correctly; sndRing is played when the code is executed.
In 1.4.9999, a completely different sound effect is played when executing the code above, even though sndRing still has the correct sound when viewing it in the IDE!

This completely breaks my project and forces me to rollback to 1.4.1773. Can someone please investigate into this or tell me what is causing this annoying issue?

Dan

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
Nothing we can do about the AVG false-positive, but thank you for submitting the file so they can resolve this issue. (That's all we can ask you to do.)

K

Kabcorp

Drawing a sprite problem since the start of GM:S
With Mouse1, you can draw from any position to any position (you can draw to outside of the sprite)
But with mouse2, you are limited to the size of sprite -1

RizbIT

is it jsut me or on the newest gm 1.4 version i cant connect to the marketplace when trying to add new extension from library??

Ragster

My game doesn't seem to recognize the default audiogroup constant anymore. It returns with an error, stating it could not find any variable named "audiogroup_default". I know this version includes many changes to the audio system, so I don't know if this is a bug or I'm just missing something.
of Other Event: User Defined 2
for object system:

Variable system.audiogroup_default(100051, -2147483648) not set before reading it.
at gml_Object_system_UserEvent2_1 (line 19) - audio_group_set_gain(audiogroup_default,content.data[?"config.audio.volume_sound"],0);
############################################################################################
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
stack frame is
gml_Object_system_UserEvent2_1 (line 19)
called from - gml_Object_system_UserEvent0_1 (line 16) - event_user(2);
called from - gml_Object_system_CreateEvent_1 (line 337) - event_user(0);

EDIT #1: I tried a clean install of Studio and it still isn't working.

EDIT #2: I forgot that I had removed my other audiogroups previously, so the default one was the only group. I'm guessing "audiogroup_default" doesn't register unless you have other audiogroups, so I'm just using audio_master_gain instead.

Last edited:
L

Latisha

New version is out now to fix:

The "Acquiring License" issue
The Lint issue with Bluetooth also needing to be enabled
The collision list functions in GMS2 blocking your GMS1 builds if you had a custom function with the same name
"Import from My Library" still appearing in the resource tree
0029763 Audio: Crackling occurs if you set an emitter's velocity
0029817 Audio: Clicking occurs if you change the pitch of an emitter
0029991 Debugger: Watches panel is defunct
0029992 General: image_blend behaves differently in GMS1 to GMS2
0029995 Font: font_add_sprite() is incorrectly offset in 1.4.9999, need to use font_add_sprite_ext() as workaround

As mentioned before, if you're on 9999 already you will need to use the installer, so here you go: http://store.yoyogames.com/downloads/gm-studio/GMStudio-Installer-1.4.9999.exe (Steam "Beta" branch has also been updated to match.)

I am aware that the list above does not cover everyone's reports so far, btw - we needed to get the licensing issue fix released.
Thank you for your time but

Now this happens.
I also still don't see any 'get license' or 'new eula' thing in the yoyo accounts website so ye
If you require my account details, just ask. Thanks for taking your time to help me anyways!

Attachments

Appsurd

How exactly should one use os_check_permission(permission) and os_request_permission(permission) ? It seems the GMS1.4 manual & the GMS2 manual are both empty on this topic, at least Googling the function names yields nothing.

G

Geddon

I had a bug that I was beating my head against the wall for a month trying to figure out, and was going to report it here. Then I figure out I was using the command wrong the whole time, silly me. Anywho... Thanks for working hard on this last update!

G

GilM

I don't know if this is still open, but I'll throw it in here, with also a question to it:

Can I still send my project and issue a couple of bugs I found?

The collision event has buggy now. Now when my player collides with the objects he's supposed to collect, the game lags, or the player lags, or maybe he get's rolled back or something? it's weird. I tried just removing the code from the collision event and leaving it there empty, and lo and behold! the same issue still happened. This happens in the HTML5 export and the windows export. I am not sure of the other exports.

Another bug that I found was in the HTML5 module. For some reason my platform moving code doesn't work for 1 version of my vertically moving platforms. I have 2 different objects with different collision checks. One of these objects works fine in everything i have tried it on : android/Windows/html5
However the same cannot be said about the second object. On windows it works fine. On HTML5? The code breaks. Now the platform only moves up when the player is on top of it...and if he jumps, the platform switches direction immediately. This was never an issue before 1.4.9999

I don't want to roll back because this version got rid of the stupid start up errors. I solved my issue by completely ditching the collision event, and coding everything by myself, which should've never been :/.

All help is greatly appreciated.

Appsurd

On iOS, I added virtual keys to my game and added it to the "T" key.
However, it seems that both the Keyboard Check and the Keyboard Check Released events act the same.
In other words, both Keyboard check and Keyboard check Released seem to produce the same behaviour, the behaviour of Keyboard check.
Just triggering the "release of a button" therefore doesn't work properly. Anyone else experiencing this?

silengames

How exactly should one use os_check_permission(permission) and os_request_permission(permission) ? It seems the GMS1.4 manual & the GMS2 manual are both empty on this topic, at least Googling the function names yields nothing.
On Android 6+ you should request dangerous permissions manually. Try something like this:
if (!os_check_permission(android.permission.WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE)) {os_request_permission(android.permission.WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE)}
Popup should be appeared.

S

Spooky Squid

Found a bug in how screen_save_part is handled in Windows (broken) vs Mac and Linux (works correctly).

In windows the width and height values are actually behaving like they're x and y values of the bottom right corner.
Eg. to capture a 640x480 section of screen starting 10 pixels in and 5 pixels down. You should need to enter

Code:
screen_save_part(10,5,640,480)
In Windows this creates an 630x475 image with the bottom and right sides cropped off. To work correctly in Window you need to use:

Code:
screen_save_part(10,5,650,485)
Running the same code on Mac OS and Linux this isn't the case, the first example runs correctly and the second one creates the errors you'd expect (a 650x485 image with extra info on the bottom and right sides)

I'm also running into issues with gamepads not being detected in Linux builds but have a few more things to try before I'm sure it's a GameMaker 1.4 bug.

B

BPzeBanshee

Can confirm the above post, it seems something internal to screen_save and screen_save_part is offsetting some variables wrong. For me on Windows, this problem is only present when running the game in fullscreen mode, the functions work fine when running from a window.

My workaround for this to compensate for the width/height errors is as follows:
Code:
var a,xx,yy,ww,hh;
a = application_get_position();
xx = a[0];
yy = a[1];
ww = a[2] - a[0];
hh = a[3] - a[1];
if window_get_fullscreen()
    {
    ww += xx;
    hh += yy;
    }
screen_save_part(dir,xx,yy,ww,hh);
I've also had a case of show_question locking up the game when running from the Play button but it's always worked fine when exported.

Appsurd

On Android 6+ you should request dangerous permissions manually. Try something like this:
if (!os_check_permission(android.permission.WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE)) {os_request_permission(android.permission.WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE)}
Popup should be appeared.
Thanks! Maybe the official docs could be updated to explain this at least a little bit.
Perhaps some contents of this Marketplace asset page could be used as well, especially his website contains some nice explainations about the topic.

Simon Gust

Anyone have a download for Visual Studio 13? The Microsoft website doesn't have any downloads apparently.
I really want to use the YYC again.

chamaeleon

It's completely shut unfortunately.
When I continue to "download visual studio 2013" I get to the "now downloads availiable" page
and when I click on "visual studio community" I get 404 errors.
If you join the Visual Studio Dev Essentials program (free, it seems) and you follow that link and click download again, it seems like you get access to it.

Simon Gust

If you join the Visual Studio Dev Essentials program (free, it seems) and you follow that link and click download again, it seems like you get access to it.
Do you (or anyone for that matter) know which download I have to take?
I downloaded 2 so far but they don't seem to be the right thing.

chamaeleon

Do you (or anyone for that matter) know which download I have to take?
I downloaded 2 so far but they don't seem to be the right thing.
I would assume Visual Studio Community 2013 with Update 5? With the caveat that I don't know for sure whether this is the particular version required for GM:S 1.49999.. I'm just going by the request for getting VS 2013. :) If a different version is needed, just modify the search bar at the top of the download page to say visual studio 2012, or whatever, to get a different set of downloads..

Edit: what does "don't seem to be the right thing" mean anyway? What is complaining? GameMaker, Visual Studio, something else?

Simon Gust

I would assume Visual Studio Community 2013 with Update 5? With the caveat that I don't know for sure whether this is the particular version required for GM:S 1.49999.. I'm just going by the request for getting VS 2013. :) If a different version is needed, just modify the search bar at the top of the download page to say visual studio 2012, or whatever, to get a different set of downloads..
Game Maker says VS 13, so I assume they mean 2013.

Edit: what does "don't seem to be the right thing" mean anyway? What is complaining? GameMaker, Visual Studio, something else?
By that I mean: everytime I finish an installation, nothing really happens. There isn't a folder that says Microsoft Visual Studio 13.0 which is what I suppose should be existing after I've downloaded VS 2013.
upload_2018-9-22_19-7-49.png
I only have 12.0

chamaeleon

Game Maker says VS 13, so I assume they mean 2013.

By that I mean: everytime I finish an installation, nothing really happens. There isn't a folder that says Microsoft Visual Studio 13.0 which is what I suppose should be existing after I've downloaded VS 2013.
View attachment 20784
I only have 12.0
When I run the setup program for Visual Studio 2013 Update 5, the default directory it shows is C:\Program Files(x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 12.0, so despite the number discrepancy, I imagine you got VS2013 installed there.. I think it has something to do with version number not always correlating to product name.

Simon Gust

When I run the setup program for Visual Studio 2013 Update 5, the default directory it shows is C:\Program Files(x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 12.0, so despite the number discrepancy, I imagine you got VS2013 installed there.. I think it has something to do with version number not always correlating to product name.
Then the problem must be elsewhere.
I do get an error when trying to run on the YYC.
Game Maker:Studio AssetCompiler has encountered a problem
yadayadayada
The specified file could not be found

It does not say which file though.

Simon Gust

I also tried the Windows 8 YYC (because I have Win 8)
And it opens a different strategy to my problem.
upload_2018-9-22_19-22-26.png
I believe I need to fix this, but how. I have no idea where to find the file paths.

Simon Gust

Download the latest version of VS2012 which seems to be Update 5. (The first one in the list on your pic)
Ok, done that, now what do I exactly put into the paths?
upload_2018-9-22_20-52-33.png
This should be ok for Windows if I even required this

upload_2018-9-22_20-54-11.png
But what has to be put here? These current ones obviously aren't the right ones. I wish YoYoGames would give information on that.

rIKmAN

Ok, done that, now what do I exactly put into the paths?
View attachment 20788
This should be ok for Windows if I even required this

View attachment 20789
But what has to be put here? These current ones obviously aren't the right ones. I wish YoYoGames would give information on that.
I'm not sure if there is anything specific going on with Windows 8 as I've never used it, but these are my settings in Preferences > Windows

I use Windows 10 x64 and Windows YYC compiles fine in 1.4.9999.

Simon Gust

I'm not sure if there is anything specific going on with Windows 8 as I've never used it, but these are my settings in Preferences > Windows

I use Windows 10 x64 and Windows YYC compiles fine in 1.4.9999.
IDK, still get the error. Maybe the problem is somewhere else completely.
My compile window isn't saying that anything failed, I just get that window saying the asset compiler ran into an issue.

rIKmAN

IDK, still get the error. Maybe the problem is somewhere else completely.
My compile window isn't saying that anything failed, I just get that window saying the asset compiler ran into an issue.
Do you get that error with a fresh empty room project?

S

Spooky Squid

Discovered another bug, this one with applying custom colours to particles.

If I create a custom colour eg.
Code:
part_colour= make_colour_rgb(100,220,5)
and then try to create a particle with it

Code:
part_particles_create_colour(part_ind, x, y, part_type, part_colour,1);
it will display the particle with the red and blue values swapped. (5,220,100). It also does this with the preset colours, so c_yellow is a bright cyan colour etc..

Setting the particle colour using part_type_colour1 and then creating it with part_particles_create does not exhibit this error and this wasn't an issue till 1.4.9999.

I can provide a test project showing this if needed. Just let me know the best way to share it.

EDIT: This bug only occurs on Windows. Mac and Linux display these particle colours correctly.

Simon Gust

Discovered another bug, this one with applying custom colours to particles.

If I create a custom colour eg.
Code:
part_colour= make_colour_rgb(100,220,5)
and then try to create a particle with it

Code:
part_particles_create_colour(part_ind, x, y, part_type, part_colour,1);
it will display the particle with the red and blue values swapped. (5,220,100). It also does this with the preset colours, so c_yellow is a bright cyan colour etc..

Setting the particle colour using part_type_colour1 and then creating it with part_particles_create does not exhibit this error and this wasn't an issue till 1.4.9999.

I can provide a test project showing this if needed. Just let me know the best way to share it.
upload_2018-9-25_20-0-16.png
A post from this very thread.

S

Spooky Squid

The above looks like a different (but probably related) bug since it's specifically dealing with using image_blend and objects not colouring particles.

However I just did a quick test to see if turning off automatic drawing for the particle system then manually drawing the particle system in a draw event would fix the particle colouring issue the way it does for objects in that post and unfortunately that doesn't seem to fix it.

EDIT: it looks like the image_blend bug was fixed in the latest update to 1.4.9999 earlier in Sept however this similar bug with particles is still happening with the latest version.

S

Spooky Squid

Just adding to the info on this previously reported bug that using "audio_play_sound_on" messes up the audio. The same behaviour described in the quote below also occurs if you pause instead of stopping the sound.

Also when it plays the sound the second time it does so without any volume adjustments or positioning. IE. it always sounds like it's playing in the centre at full volume even if the first time it was played was quieter and panned more to the left or right speaker.

With further investigation, I have been able to narrow down the problem further. Seems to have to do specifically with when a sound played on an emitter is stopped.

When I run the following code:
Code:
time++;

if time == 10 snd = audio_play_sound_on(emitter, snd_coacoabeachproductions_rocket_loop, 0, 0);
else if time == 600 audio_stop_sound(snd);
else if time == 720 audio_play_sound(snd_foad_lightning, 0, 0);
else if time == 840 game_end();
The sound "snd_coacoabeachproductions_rocket_loop" plays a second time at time 720, instead of "snd_foad_lightning".

Quick project

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
The message box functions have a number of outstanding bugs:
  • get_string(), get_string_async(), get_question() and get_question_async() do not respect # newlines in the message text.
  • All asynchronous dialogs fail to respond to the Enter key as confirmation, unlike their synchronous counterparts.
  • After closing an asynchronous dialog, it seems to take an additional keystroke before the focus returns to the main window. (Reproduction: Press W/E/R/T, enter something and confirm. Then press W/E/R/T again and nothing happens. You have to press one more time for a dialog to come up)
  • All asynchronous dialogs other than show_message_async() incur a 400kB memory leak every time one opens.
Sample project: Link