Graphics Pixel art, need feedback

A

ajan-ko

I tried to make a character, but the problem is it's lacking "something", but I don't know what...

By the way, which one do you like the most?

#3 is nice. I think the hat could use a little more colour or detail. Apart from thag I think they look great. And yeah, I agree with Niels that an extra colour might help. Or actually, maybe brighten up the blue trim, especially on the arm.

mar_cuz

They all look great. Only thing I would suggest is maybe another highlight color varient to the head arms and legs to make it pop a bit more and possibly another separate colour all together as they all seem to be on the same side of the colour wheel and can almost all look like the same colour at the moment

The top part of his arm appears to be twice as long as the bottom half. Looks flat in general. I think the outfit and colors are fine. Your problem is the same as mine: weak drawing fundamentals. There's no one thing your sprite is missing - the overall quality is just lower than a pro's because of a hundred miniscule problems with the rendering and construction.

My advice for you is the same as for me (and basically everyone): draw on paper with pencil/charcoal/ink a few hours a day. I'm using www.line-of-action.com for quick figure sketches. I urge you to try, too!

You probably think "this advice is a waste of my time. I just want to fix this sprite," but I promise you if you do some figure drawing for an hour a day for a month and come back to this sprite, you'll be able to redo it in a third of the time and it'll look ten times better.

The sprite isn't bad overall - it's actually better than most indie stuff, but if you want to take it to the next level you'll probably want to work on your basic drawing skills. That "something" your sprite is missing is hours and hours of figure drawing practice, hahah!

Last edited:
A

ajan-ko

The top part of his arm appears to be twice as long as the bottom half. Looks flat in general. I think the outfit and colors are fine. Your problem is the same as mine: weak drawing fundamentals. There's no one thing your sprite is missing - the overall quality is just lower than a pro's because of a hundred miniscule problems with the rendering and construction.

My advice for you is the same as for me (and basically everyone): draw on paper with pencil/charcoal/ink a few hours a day. I'm using www.line-of-action.com for quick figure sketches. I urge you to try, too!

You probably think "this advice is a waste of my time. I just want to fix this sprite," but I promise you if you do some figure drawing for an hour a day for a month and come back to this sprite, you'll be able to redo it in a third of the time and it'll look ten times better.

The sprite isn't bad overall - it's actually better than most indie stuff, but if you want to take it to the next level you'll probably want to work on your basic drawing skills. That "something" your sprite is missing is hours and hours of figure drawing practice, hahah!
"The top part of his arm appears to be twice as long as the bottom half. Looks flat in general."

Yep, that's the problem!

RangerX

More color really was the first thing I think. Good improvement.
However I wanna bring up something more. Do you know that character? Who is he? what does he in life? what makes him special? Knowning your character actually will probably make him look better.
Simple example but my main character for The Life Ruby, while I don't mean he necessarily look exceptionally good, he wears a band and a backpack because he's an adventurer. He looks what he is.

sylvain_l

you are far beyond me in term of pixel art.

but there is a thing I'm noticing; it's that everywhere you just add a color highlight line as a "detail" thing to enrich your art. (arm, pants, swords)
too repetitive.

K

Kanugane

I have found only one mistake.
#1 and #3 are both having a gap between his upper hand (which holds the hilt) and his top shoulderpad. It feels as if his hand goes in a ) form and is covered by his head. Mayhap you could fill in that gap.
Otherwise, it all looks nice.

A

ajan-ko

It's a hat.
I'm using no 2 RN, because it's easier to animate. These are some rough sketches...

Also, this is some rough mockup.
By the way, the background is just a placeholder, it's some random sprite art I found on internet. I'm just want to test.
I don't know if the UI looks neat or not.

Last edited:
C

coryru

Wow! Looks great and the orange really helped the design. I think the hat needs just a bit more detail to help sell it. Maybe a simple logo on it or a button on the top, or air holes. The shoes as well need a bit of detail as well. Plus these are good place to add character. Besides that honestly what you have there is really strong.

Toque

I liked the stealth look of the blue. But depends on the background and will it stand out enough. Both are good.