• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - IDE Can't import sprite by dragging and dropping into the IDE

matharoo

manualman
GameMaker Dev.
Previously I was able to import sprites by dragging the file and dropping them into the IDE, same for other resources. I've been unable to do that for some time.

Why is that?

I have tried reinstalling GMS2.

N

nlolotte

Previously I was able to import sprites by dragging the file and dropping them into the IDE, same for other resources. I've been unable to do that for some time.

Why is that?

Just tried it and it worked first time for me, perhaps you have preference turned off?

rIKmAN

Why is that?

Are you dropping into the “Sprites” section of the resource tree or just into the workspace?

rIKmAN

Doesn't work no matter where I try to drop it.
Works fine here.

Only things I can think of are any AV / System Protection type software not allowing the file to be created by dragging in and so blocking it, or your account not having access to create a file in that location via dragging it in.

I assume you can create sprites normally using the resource tree menu?
Is there any information in the UI.log?

Mick

Are you running GMS2 as administrator? If you run a program with elevated privileges you are not allowed to drag and drop files from a program running on a lower privilege level (if you are on Windows that is).

Another possible cause could be a skin that doesn't support a newer version of GMS2, that can result in weird behviour.

matharoo

manualman
GameMaker Dev.
Are you running GMS2 as administrator? If you run a program with elevated privileges you are not allowed to drag and drop files from a program running on a lower privilege level (if you are on Windows that is).

Another possible cause could be a skin that doesn't support a newer version of GMS2, that can result in weird behviour.
Oh yes I am running it as administrator. When I get to my PC I'll try that, thanks!

Edit: Okay I tried that, but now if I drag a file into the IDE, Explorer just freezes and I have to restart it through Task Manager.

Last edited:

IGameArt

I've had the same thing happen to me Matharoo, I'd recommend saving and restarting GMS2 and it'll let you drag assets back in again.

X

Xerberuz

I know this post is old, but I ran into the same issue and in my case it was because I was dragging the files after opening the zip file that the sprites I was using were in. I actually unzipped it to a different location and was able to drag them from there. Hope this helps.