Demo [08/18/18 NEW DEMO] Lost Monkey and the Star of Hope [Platformer][Adventure]

L

LilRony

Made with GM:S 1.4

Older demo can be found here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/8pgtxzh6dj02zgk/LMATSOH DEMO.zip?dl=0

[05 Aug 2017] I've been working on this quite awhile, and I'm finally putting out a demo for it. This game is a platformer, but I feel that the game tends to focus more on story rather than gameplay. However, if you have gameplay feedback, I'd really appreciate that as well!

[18 Oct 2017] I've added a lot of things, but I'm kinda distracted by school. I need to get some free time in order to be able to passionately work on it again. Thanks for the feedback!

[16 Jan 2018] Since my last update, I've added what I think is a lot of new stuff, but for some reason in retrospect it does not feel like much. Some new screenshots are attached for your viewing pleasure :)

[13 Aug 2018] I have reached a great milestone, everyone! Just recently I finished development of the ENTIRE story for the game! With the bulk of the game complete, all that remains is adding sidequest content, touch-ups, and a whole lot of debugging. I hope to be a bit more active on this thread, now that I've reached this point in development. I also hope to add a new demo soon, but for now, all I can offer is the trailer below.

[18 Aug 2018] A new demo is up! Please take a look if you feel inclined :)

TRAILER
SCREENSHOTS

MORE SCREENSHOTS (01/16/18)

CONTROLS
Left and Right: Move
Z: Jump
X: Attack
Shift: Sprint
Down: Crouch

ESCAPE: Pause Menu
CTRL: Open Inventory
ALT: Open Map

*You may change these controls from the title screen menu, just not the latter 3.
STORY
Lost Monkey and the Star of Hope is the story of Burlap, a monkey who accidentally passed through the wrong area of the sea, taking him to the unknown island of Gremoria. In order to return home, he must meet strangers and explore the perilous land in order to touch the Star of Hope, the only means of leaving Gremoria.
SECRETS (VAGUE HINTS ONLY)
Secret 1:
Very early on in the game.
Secret 2:
Behind a certain deck. It's down there somewhere.
Secret 3:
Under 2 slimes
Secret 4:
What's this dead end for?

Thanks for viewing. Respond or PM me with any questions.

-LilRony​

Last edited:

Jeremy

I just gave it a try!

Let me start by saying that I loved both the music and sound effects very much!
I also very much dig the art style.

I died numerous times at the bit where you had to jump across several spiders;
before eventually giving up.

This was espessially frustrating since you can see the checkpoint
and you'll have to repeat many challenges before getting back to this point.

Platforming felt smooth and finding a secret (I found a blue diamond!) felt rewarding.
I could very well see this game having a commercial release when given some more polish;
and I encourage you to continue on this project and do so, it's that good!

The only feedback I would give at this point:
- Maybe I'm just impatient, but I think you should make the options menu animations a bit faster.
the time to get from the title scren to the button remapping and back takes a bit too long imo.
- The amount of dust when the character lands is very much, I would definitely consider make it smaller.
- When you get at the part where you have to smash boxes;
you can just keep walking out and back into that screen to respawn those boxes
and essentially pick up infinite diamonds. (Don't know if this is intentional)

Keep at it!
- Jeremy

Last edited:
L

LilRony

First, Thank you for the kind feedback!

This was espessially frustrating since you can see the checkpoint
and you'll have to repeat many challenges before getting back to this point.
I definitely understand you here. Out of curiosity, are you aware that the spiders respawn if you fall, then go back up? I figured it would take a few trys lol. But I definitely agree that there are some long stretches without checkpoints.
If you ever have time, I encourage you to try again; you were almost at the end!

- Maybe I'm just impatient, but I think you should make the options menu animations a bit faster.
the time to get from the title scren to the button remapping and back takes a bit too long imo.
Yeah they are a bit slow haha. I plan on changing that as well.

- When you get at the part where you have to smash boxes;
you can just keep walking out and back into that screen to respawn those boxes
and essentially pick up infinite diamonds. (Don't know if this is intentional)
I'm still torn on leaving it, but I think the tutorial area will be free of money altogether.

I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Jeremy

If you ever have time, I encourage you to try again; you were almost at the end!
Just gave it another shot!
Out of curiosity, are you aware that the spiders respawn if you fall, then go back up? I figured it would take a few trys lol. But I definitely agree that there are some long stretches without checkpoints.
When I went back to the game today, to my own surprise, I made it in my first try!
I did know about the spiders re-spawning, but I always just died up there before. :(

I've now finished the demo, and have some more feedback ;)
- When fighting the boss the initial few times I always felt like I got a good amount of hits in,
but wondered when I would beat him. I suggest that, if not a healthbar, you should consider
implementing some other visual clue to the player how far along he or she is in the fight.
- You said you felt like the game tends to focus more on story rather than gameplay;
but after playing the demo, I didn't really get that impression at all.
which is totally fine for a game, there doesn't need to be an emphasis on story over gameplay.
(Maybe the actual game IS more focused on story, but then this demo doesn't really do a good job reflecting it?)
- I've never used the inventory once in the entire demo. I've also never seen any items inside it.

I think you've got something really great here and you should definitely continue development!
- Jeremy

L

LilRony

Thanks for completing it!

When fighting the boss the initial few times I always felt like I got a good amount of hits in,
but wondered when I would beat him. I suggest that, if not a healthbar, you should consider
implementing some other visual clue to the player how far along he or she is in the fight.
I also get that impression haha. I'll figure something out regarding boss health.

I've never used the inventory once in the entire demo. I've also never seen any items inside it.
Yeah... there's only one item in the demo, but it's pretty hidden. Later on, there are shops that sell healing items.

And regarding the story, I'd say that there's more of it after that first dungeon. The demo portion is sort of a "get to know the controls" section.

Again, thanks for the feedback!

RangerX

There's a bunch of nice platformers coming out in this community lately. I like that.
Will try soon :)

RangerX

Ok I tried your game tonight. I like it!! (or well, its my type of thing anyways lol)
Your demo is pretty clean generally speaking and I think the game is interesting. You seem to have a sense of putting some personality to your creation and I hope you will continue to make this game feel special. Here's some deconstructed thoughts:

- Graphics are nice, generally speaking and I know its early. But the background feels like its a complete other art direction than the tiles. Doesn't fit well in my opinion.
- Music is nice while not being revolutionary.
- I love that "attack bounce" move on stuff. However I would put render the character to be able to do it on much more stuff! Make it something special about you game. It would be hot to hit chests or bounce on them. Throwing ideas: How about you bounce on the surface of water? I'd freaking love it.
- Place checkpoints BEFORE hard parts, not right after. (backtracking balance is hard to pull off don't worry, I know)
- When I interact with W and then process with spacebar, especially for textboxes it would be nice to also process with W. I mean, first textbox opens with W so with not continue pressing W?
- Is there any items in the demo? I did not use the inventory. Wish I had tested that.
- After the event where the little falls in the well, instead of getting a key to get into the mountain cave, I thought it would have been way cooler to enter from the bottom of the well. That could also give a sense that the little was knowing something is at the bottom and died trying to reach it or explore it. Or maybe the girls isn't dead!? *drama music*
- I like your RPG-style story focus. Keep it!! Make it the style of this game.
- Your main character is cool. I like the crows too. Keep on trying to create "special" characters.
- Double jump? Is that in the plans of your want to focus on the bounce attack instead?
- Is walking really necessary? If you ain't going to valorise that move, why shouldn't I be running all the time?
- I didn't beat the mum slug. (boss). I will eventually but honestly, Its hard of a first boss in my opinion. Well, not all that hard per see but there's 1 or 2 falling rocks pattern that are a bit too intense.
- Having a gauge or something to represent the boss health would be a must in my opinion. It would encourage me to beat the slug even more if you don't make it easier lol
- Are you going to push it a little further in matter of interaction? Could I be reading some books in the house per example?

Keep up the great work. You can poke me sometimes later if its been a while you're pushing further versions and that I don't seem to come here and test.
Also, I don't remember if you tried my game The Life Ruby so far but keep an eye on the forum, I want to pull a new demo soon. I'd be glad if you tested it! :)

Xer0botXer0

Senpai
Regarding this difficult part with the ropes, I'm not sure what makes them difficult ? I haven't played the game(sorry) but if the ropes work the way I think they do it might help to decelerate the player as the collide with the rope. so they don't jump past it.
Unless it works by letting you grab the rope as you pass, passively without having to interact with the rope.. which may cause overstepping which is where deceleration may help.

Looks like a nice game I like the graphics it feels like it's your project lol.

Ladi_Pix3l

Mr @RangerX might have heart for Sonic I think :D
the art of this game is nice but I feel it's a mixed bag of different styles (probably just my nitpick)

Otherwise I like it. Nice work;)

S

Sam (Deleted User)

Thanks for completing it!

I also get that impression haha. I'll figure something out regarding boss health.

Yeah... there's only one item in the demo, but it's pretty hidden. Later on, there are shops that sell healing items.

And regarding the story, I'd say that there's more of it after that first dungeon. The demo portion is sort of a "get to know the controls" section.

Again, thanks for the feedback!
If you don't want to go the health bar route, like he suggested there are other things you could do. Like in "Ristar" for the Sega Genesis, the bosses start off with cool colors (usually green), and gradually turn more red. You'll think of something. :) I like the consistent art style, I think I'll download it now and let you know my thoughts thereafter, depending on how long I take.

S

Sam (Deleted User)

I completed the demo of this not too long ago and I gotta say it is a little hard, but I'm digging it! Keep up the great work and please make sure you don't give up so you can finish making this wonderful game!! :D :D

L

LilRony

Hi everyone, sorry for being dead for so long.

The main reason I've been away was due to my school year starting. It's taking up a lot of time :p Thankfully, I've been able to get a few things done after receiving your feedback (which I'm very thankful for btw). Specifically, I've added a healthbar to the bosses and now allow the player to press the same button for initiating conversation and progressing through text, per RangerX's request.

2 new screenshots can be seen here:

I can assure you that the current game is going well. It is about 3 times the size of the demo at this point. However, I'm just being prevented from working on it passionately because of all my assignments. Hopefully you can understand.

Thanks for keeping interest though! I'll try and get a foothold back into it when I can.

S

Sam (Deleted User)

I'm unfollowing this thread to cut back on notifications, but as soon as you have a new demo or full version please let me know either by PM or writing @Samuel Venable in this thread, as I'm very interested in this project. :)

RangerX

Yeah, keep up with this project. I like it.
I understand your position since I am pretty much in the same one. I can only use some of my free time for making The Life Ruby so sometimes I feel it takes forever to make.
But I plan on following your project even if it takes a long time. Just don't get discouraged with it.

L

LilRony

Hello all, I am back with an update on my game.

Throughout my winter break I was able to catch up on some of the work that I wanted to do. It gave me a lot of drive and I've started my new years resolution on continuing this game 24/7 (heres hoping!). But anyway, here are a few new screenshots of what I've been doing:

Regarding a new demo, I'll definitely consider it, but right now I really just want to focus on getting as much content in as possible while I still have the juices flowing. Hopefully these simple screenshots will do :p
At this point I would like to say that the game is about 45% done, but the last 55% should be much simpler since it's about making content and not as much mechanics.

As always, thank you for your support!​

L

LilRony

I don't know, it just too hard for me I guess. Couldn't pass this moment:
View attachment 15830
Thanks for showing an area where you had difficulty. If I may give a suggestion, you may not be holding the sprint key through the whole jump. That is mandatory to get all the way across, and you can't really get that much distance otherwise.

But I understand that! A lot of people seem to have this problem based on my friend's playthroughs :) So I'll whip up some kind of fix.

Z

Zombie

Hi, tried out the demo, really liked the attack jump (like cuphead parry).
Also the sprint option with shift is great, i really like moving fast in games.
I was stuck and the well and key part. Couldnt find the girl who went to get water.

Overall i seems like a nice game, the only thing i would want to add is more animation. It may be too early, but if maybe the grass moves or something in the surroundings which makes the game look less static. Right now i am sleepy but will play again and try to advance.

EDIT: Found the girl and the key. I also love the animation when the crows respawn the player :D

Last edited by a moderator:
L

LilRony

Hi, tried out the demo, really liked the attack jump (like cuphead parry).
Also the sprint option with shift is great, i really like moving fast in games.
I was stuck and the well and key part. Couldnt find the girl who went to get water.

Overall i seems like a nice game, the only thing i would want to add is more animation. It may be too early, but if maybe the grass moves or something in the surroundings which makes the game look less static. Right now i am sleepy but will play again and try to advance.

EDIT: Found the girl and the key. I also love the animation when the crows respawn the player :D
Thank you for playing! I definitely understand the deal with animating background objects. Sadly, I don't think I can do much other than making tufts of grass that poof up when you walk or something. This is because just about everything is placed in the room from a tile, which can't be animated. Taking the time to convert them to sprites at this point would be... time consuming... But it's definitely something I'll implement in my next game, whenever that is.

Again, thanks for playing and (hopefully) enjoying it!

onjai_x3

It took awhile to get used to that parry double jump. But I'm sure it'll be much easier to pull off with a controller instead of a keyboard. And I certainly did not expect that difficulty spike at the boss battle lol.

L

LilRony

Hello, everyone! I've finally finished developing the main story for the game! There are still many things to do, but with the hardest part out of the way, I'd like to share a short trailer I made for my game.

Thank you for your feedback!

L

LilRony

Hey guys! I've finally made a new demo! I've taken into account some of your suggestions and I'd say it runs much better than the old demo. On top of that, there's a whole new section that I've included for this demo to make things more interesting :)

Download: burlapthemonkey.itch.io/lmatsoh

Thanks in advance for playing!

Last edited:
L

LilRony

Glad to NOT be the only one taking forever developing my game.. :p:D
Haha, the most exciting part is that after all this time, when I finish, I can finally move on and see what all the GMS 2 hype is about lol

B

BearlyBros

A charming platformer with a unique story! We love the characters and had a really fun time playing it :D

Also just from us playing your game, we've entered you into our giveaway we are just starting to do. We are playing 6 Game Maker games a week and then giving away a FREE Game Maker Studio game published on Steam (Eg Hotline Miami, Hyper Light Drfiter, etc) to a developer of one of the games we play! You are the 2nd out of 6 games to be played this week!

Carloskhard

Great game! I love how simple it looks but everything works perfectly and fit inside the game. I won't tell you to work on grpahics because I think it is cool just how it is and it is meant to be that way.
I'll add more features like wall jumping, power ups and lianas.
Music is ok but could be better. There is room for adding small details like bouncing on stuff, more animations, less repetitive scenario.
Hope you work on that and improve this already nice game

L

LilRony

Great game! I love how simple it looks but everything works perfectly and fit inside the game. I won't tell you to work on grpahics because I think it is cool just how it is and it is meant to be that way.
I'll add more features like wall jumping, power ups and lianas.
Music is ok but could be better. There is room for adding small details like bouncing on stuff, more animations, less repetitive scenario.
Hope you work on that and improve this already nice game
Thanks for playing! Although I've been busy with classes, I've been trying to touch up animations and stuff as much as possible. I definitely agree that there's a lack of depth in some areas.