Android Pixel Forest - A quasi-procedurally generated infinite runner

T

The Shatner

"There is only one good: knowledge. And there is only one evil: ignorance." - Socrates.

From time immemorial, mankind seeks knowledge. During all of our history, knowledge has been acquired and used. But our limited minds cannot contain all existant knowledge...

However, there is a mysterious location where all this knowledge lies.

No one knows how it got there, or why.
Very few have discovered its whereabouts, and even fewer attempted to venture into the mysterious...

PIXEL FOREST

A couple of screenshots:
Titlejpg.jpg
SS1jpg.jpg
CharDescENjpg.jpg

Promo video:

To download and play it:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mindnaut.PixelForest

Last edited by a moderator:
L

logan12v

hey this game is awesome! looks like you put in a lot of work nice :)

L

logan12v

Hey, thanks! It was a lot of work indeed... I'm glad you've enjoyed it!
Hey im making a game and i want to have diffrent characters like yours dose you think you could help me with the code to have multiple characters

T

The Shatner

Well, there are many ways to implement multiple characters, such as saving the selected character to a global var and then reading the global var when the game room begins. However, I suggest you open a thread in the "programming" section of the forum, because you'll get help from a lot of experienced GML programmers there. Not many people visit the "Made with Gamemaker" forum. Also, this forum is for showcasing games, and the rules disencourage discussing programming techniques here.
Open a thread there and I'll gladly help you out by telling you one of my favorite methods of enabling multiple character selection.
Thanks again for your support. Believe me, it means a lot.

T

The Shatner

my eyess!! Please, replace the text green with another color!
Thanks for the feedback! As a fellow game developer, you are certainly aware that developing for Android can be quite complicated due to the hardware differences between each device. Each of my test devices show slightly different colors. Maybe yours has a stronger "lime/green" color than most, since your critique is not a common one. The forum rules ask that feedback should be constructive, so I'd love to hear about what could be done to avoid hurting the eyes of people whose devices are more "greeny" than others. This could be a big deal to avoid uninstallations from users with devices similar to yours.

And, I must say, I am happy to have received feedback, even if somewhat generic, from a celebrity! The Instagram model (and Gamedev/Hostess, apparently) Jessica Towner, everyone! - https://www.instagram.com/p/BBW6JpGHVF4/?taken-by=jessica_towner. Google reverse search is a very powerful and easy to use tool ;).

Thanks a lot, Jessica! May I call you Jess?:)

EDIT: In case you came here and have no idea who I'm referring to in the quote above, it appears that Jess was a tad shy and vanished from this thread. Oh well, there goes my chance of meeting a celeb.

Last edited by a moderator: