Released Adventure Guy!

Null-Z

a simple 2D game based on the old gameboy black and white games and my first game
A - Move Left
D - Move Right
K - Shoot

Here's an updated vid:

I should be able to release this as a demo soon.
right now I'm looking for places to do that.

NOTE: the reason the original videos are gone is because I want to wait and see what becomes of the youtube coppa mess.

UPDATE 6/27/2020
New Demo Available!

Update 7/4/2020
Lowered the Difficulty of the Spider Boss.

Update 5/7/2021

It started back in 2017 but today it ends. "Adventure Guy!" is complete and ready to play.

Last edited:

Null-Z

The hidden mirror leads you to this new location with strange, man made structures lining the cave walls. what could this all be? and what's at the end of the cave? find out in the Adventure Guy demo!

woodsmoke

Nice, you got music and everything.
I find the explosion sound effect is harsh on the ears and fits more to an exploding car. Something cuter could be a big improvement in the consistency department. Anyway, keep doing your thing!

G

GloveGames

lovin the art, kinda wish the gameplay was less "cute" so it fit the black n white art better

Null-Z

lovin the art, kinda wish the gameplay was less "cute" so it fit the black n white art better
The "Cute" was purposeful so I wouldn't have to make anything too complicated for my first game.
I am Very pleased to hear you like the art as that's what I want to show off most here.

Null-Z

Well, Nothing to show but a written update. Some tinkering is required to make the next few cutscenes work and I need to set up the next few levels. Exporting enemy sprites and programming them is also just ahead.

B

BearlyBros

Can't wait to give this one a try, downloading your demo now! Looks amazing for your first game too, great work dude!

L

LilRony

Played the first level and I really like the art style + gameplay! I assume there's some inspiration from Mario Bros 2? That's what I saw anyway
I like the tight jumping, but I feel like the game would be a bit better if you could run faster. With the way you jump so fast, it kinda clashes with the walking speed.
Also the way that emerald thingy is the only colored object is a nice touch. I like that.
Keep at it! Would love to see more levels

J

Josh Arnold

I like this a lot! its very charming and retro, nice work on the music too!

Null-Z

When we last left Adventure Guy...

with this out of the way, it's time to set up the next level.

Played the first level and I really like the art style + gameplay! I assume there's some inspiration from Mario Bros 2? That's what I saw anyway
I like the tight jumping, but I feel like the game would be a bit better if you could run faster. With the way you jump so fast, it kinda clashes with the walking speed.
Also the way that emerald thingy is the only colored object is a nice touch. I like that.
Keep at it! Would love to see more levels
Thank you very much for the feedback. I'll experiment with running speeds to see if any variant feels better.
The inspiration for this game was more "old Game Boy" games than any specific game.
You'll see more colored objects as I wanted to use that against the B/W color scheme to show important objects.

Last edited:
B

BearlyBros

Great work so far Null-Z! I'm terrible at platformers and timing, and probably video games in general, but I still had a lot of fun and managed to beat the demo :D!

Also just from us playing your game, we've entered you into our giveaway we are just starting to do. We are playing 6 Game Maker games a week and then giving away a FREE Game Maker Studio game published on Steam (Eg Hotline Miami, Hyper Light Drfiter, etc) to a developer of one of the games we play! You are the 5th out of 6 games to be played this week!

Null-Z

I'm bringing you something a little different today, check out some cover art for Adventure Guy.

Carloskhard

Looking cute, love the old retro style :) you should smooth camera movemente though, since it is a little bit dizzing.
The method I use in my game is simple, just use two coordinates: One for the place you want the camera to be (In this case the X ad Y of the player) and then the X and Y of the camera, which will move smoothly towards the first coordinate. The code for that in my game is the following:
Code:
x += (xTo - x)/cam_smoothness;
y += (yTo - y)/cam_smoothness;
Where X and Y are the coordinates for the camera and cam_smoothness is exactly what it says haha

Hope you can implement that in your game since I think it will highly benefit from it :)
Keep working on animations and control and you'll get a nice polish game soon

Last edited:

Null-Z

After a long while of learning, here's an update of the first boss with state machines!

Creepy Crawlies Intensify.

Null-Z

It's been a long time with no updates I know, and I apologize
But the Cave level is completed and I made myself a nifty opening title sequence!

Now it's on to the level 3/4, and I'm excited to work on a floating Island Jungle themed level!

C

Cautious Cactus

Cool cool, looks really good for your 1st game honestly, keep us posted.

pixeltroid

just download the demo. Will play and give you some feedback in a while.

okay I played it for a while. I made it to the spider boss.

Here's my 2 cents.

What I like:
- Great graphics. Especially the cut scene animations. Although the graphics could use a little polishing here and there, but let's set that aside for now.
- Nice level design and enemies.
- Nice retro music.
- I especially liked the portal animation.
- The basic foundation is solid.

Issues:
- I didn't like the arrow controls. Please add a WASD option. In 2020, arrow controls are outdated. WASD for movement and action buttons on the right side of the keyboard is the best (IMO) to simulate game controller layouts.
- I didn't like the single hit death system. Maybe insta-death can happen if you fall into spikes or lava, but not if you get hit by an enemy projectile. Your levels are fairly large and it's quite frustrating to go back to the last checkpoint for taking one hit from a fireball. Please consider adding a healthbar.
- The spider boss was insanely difficult. I fought it 20 or 30 times. I only hurt it enough to get it to the second phase and it just became too difficult. The control system and the one hit deaths caused me to give up. Here are some of my thoughts on the spider boss:
  • The platforms crumble too fast and takes a while to come back. It's the only position from which I can attack the spider but it's practically useless.
  • The fireball explosions should could vanish a little quicker.
  • The spider animation was awkward. It looked like it was dancing. IMO the spider leg movement should be gentler and slower because that's how spiders walk on webs.
  • It felt unbalanced. If the player dies by one hit and if his weapon has a short range, then the spider should not be so overpowered.
  • It was just too difficult for a first boss.
Maybe the spider boss feels easy to you because you've made it and you've spent so much time on it, but for a new player, it's disproportionately difficult.

But overall, I'm getting a lot of good 'indie' vibes from it. It is definitely the kind of game that I'd invest time into playing. Good work! :)

Last edited: