• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - IDE Latest update broke my game's collisions.

S

SomeBlindGuy

Ever since installing the update earlier, the collisions in my game are completely messed up.

My player object suddenly collides with walls in places where there are none.
For some reason, all rooms past the second one still use the wall positions of the second room.

I tested this by placing new walls in the second room, and as I expected, these new collisions also happen in later rooms.

This applies to all the builds of my game that I tried.

Help?

PS: I wasn't sure which prefix to use.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Please file a bug report and include a link to the project for the devs to test. You can then rollback the runtime in the Prefs > Runtimes window to a previous one and that should fix things until the devs can resolve the issue.

abeldev

Exact same thing is happening to me. Knew there was nothing involving my collisions that I did to cause a bug!

A

adam_jd

Relieved it's not just me! Spent like 2 hours going through all my objects and rooms and couldn't figure out what's was happening.

Using 2.1.3.189 seems to prevent the issue for now.

J

JimiThing85

Same here, collisions don't work properly since 2.1.4, don't use physics or solid variable. 2.1.3.189 works fine, would love an update from the gamemaker team ASAP about what went wrong/when a fix is incoming. I know from my limited GML experience how hard coding can be even at a basic level lol, but it seems odd that they missed a glitch with something as basic as collisions, since it seems to be affecting lots of people and glitches physics based collisions as well.

E

Ender102

From what I can tell, at least in my case, the bug has to do with persistence. Lets say I have invisible walls that are marked as solid in room1 and room1 is persistent. When the player proceeds to room2, which doesn't have said walls, they still run into the same walls as room1, even though they don't exist in this room. The persistence seems to be carrying them over somehow. If I start the game in room2, or turn off persistence in room1, the bug goes away. But of course, for the way my game works, I need persistence. I hope this post helps, because I'd really like to have this fixed soon...

bluetrack

Same here. After the update, the player gets stuck in walls or in oneway moving platforms. (2.1.4.202 runtime hasn't fixed it).

J

JimiThing85

From what I can tell, at least in my case, the bug has to do with persistence. Lets say I have invisible walls that are marked as solid in room1 and room1 is persistent. When the player proceeds to room2, which doesn't have said walls, they still run into the same walls as room1, even though they don't exist in this room. The persistence seems to be carrying them over somehow. If I start the game in room2, or turn off persistence in room1, the bug goes away. But of course, for the way my game works, I need persistence. I hope this post helps, because I'd really like to have this fixed soon...

I think you're on to something, it would explain a lot of my mystery collisions/invisible objects suddenly appearing...

abeldev

Yep, this is what I figured out after about 3 hours. For some reason the collisions of the first room carry over

L

LumeTurtle

The 2.1.4.203 update today still hasn't fixed my collisions. My player character is still sliding along walls they shouldn't and getting stuck on walls that they didn't previously.

Same problem here. All rooms are existing at once. All collisions exist in the same space. It’s maddening but looks like a bug in the update. Will try to rollback to the old version.

N

Nathan

Having a similar issue since updating was mandatory. I have invisible objects colliding with breakable objects that tell the breakable what content it should contain. Neither are solid. None of them are working unless they start on the playable screen. Once the screen scrolls and objects activate, the invisibles get activated but the collisions don't work. I am not able to roll back my Runtime. I can install it but it gives me no option to use it. It automatically uses 2.1.4.203 I tried deleting the newest runtime and restarting GMS2 and it just reinstalls 203.

Dog Slobber

To change the current runtime go to the the masters section of preferences and doublelick on the desired runtime .

It's not very intuitive and a bit finicky.

This topic is an excellant example of why it's useless to state that you have the 'latest' version instead of actually posting the version number.

There have been a few runtimes releasesd in a short period of time. With each addressing some, but not all

Topic readers have no idea which runtime the poster is talking about and may even come to the conclusion the current 'latest' hasn't addressed the issue.

N

Nathan

The 2.1.4.212 update Still did not fix my collision issues that were recently introduced by the 2.1.4.202 Reverting back to .189 solves the problem for now until a new update addresses it.

rwkay

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
@Nathan - file a bug (Help -> Report a bug) please so we can see what your issue is - we currently do not have any known collision issues, please help us fix the issue.

You will need to attach a project (that is as simple as possible, please) for us to diagnose what the issue is.

Russell

N

Nathan

@rwkay I will have to ask my brother as he is the programmer. We have several hundred objects, scripts, etc so I have no idea how to simplify the project without everything breaking and not working anyway. I will update in this post once I speak with him about it, thank you.

A

agentmonday

Hi all. I am absolutely devastated to find that nothing works properly after the latest update - moving from room to room is completed broken and there invisible solids in various rooms. I feel like crying. 2 years into a project and this happens. Hope you get another update out very soon that fixes this issue.

Kezarus

Endless Game Maker
I feel like crying. 2 years into a project and this happens.
Man, I love Game Maker, been using it since 2006, but that kind of thing scares me to the bone... I still use GM 1.4 because of that.

But don't cry agentmonday, as Douglas Adams described on The Hitchhiker's Guide, Don't Panic. Yoyo will soon correct that and, if you don't want to wait, maybe try to reverse the update?

Last edited:
A

agentmonday

Man, I love Game Maker, been using it since 2006, but that kind of thing scares me to the bone... I still use GM 1.4 because of that.

But don't cry agentmonday, as Douglas Adams described on The Hitchhiker's Guide Don't Panic. Yoyo will soon correct that and, if you don't want to wait, maybe try to reverse the update?

Thanks Kezarus. I have forwarded a report so I can hopefully roll back the IDE because I have tried all the runtimes and they don't fix anything. The latest IDE was apparently mandatory. Yup, trying no to cry because that's two years of work there. Game Maker itself has been great to use, but I have to say that it's becoming a bit of a mess the way things are being handled. Thanks for the kind words.

rwkay

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
Please remember that you can use other runtimes with the new IDE so the mandatory upgrade does not force you to stay on the matching runtime - this is why we separated them.

We found a bug with collisions and persistent rooms (especially a mix of persistent and non-persistent rooms) where the collision tree was not being updated on entry to the new room, we have fixed this internally and it will be released in the future.

But please file a bug so we can check that your issue is fixed by this and is not some other issue that has not been discovered yet.

Russell

Ruimm

Please remember that you can use other runtimes with the new IDE so the mandatory upgrade does not force you to stay on the matching runtime - this is why we separated them.

We found a bug with collisions and persistent rooms (especially a mix of persistent and non-persistent rooms) where the collision tree was not being updated on entry to the new room, we have fixed this internally and it will be released in the future.

But please file a bug so we can check that your issue is fixed by this and is not some other issue that has not been discovered yet.

Russell
If you're targeting iOS then using runtime 2.1.3.x will not compile due to missing keys in the options file. :(

A

agentmonday

Russell
Unfortunately, I have tried all runtime and the problem persists. I have even built a quick little game with a few rooms, and yet the problems persist. I have done a bug report as you suggest and will wait for a future IdE to fix these problems. Not much else I can do. It was heartbreaking to get these issues.

gnysek

Unfortunately, I have tried all runtime and the problem persists. I have even built a quick little game with a few rooms, and yet the problems persist. I have done a bug report as you suggest and will wait for a future IdE to fix these problems. Not much else I can do. It was heartbreaking to get these issues.
If the problem exists on 2.1.3.189, then it's your code which broke something, as 2.1.3.189 didn't changed since release in December :)

N

Nathan

@rwkay Just to follow up, we have created a stripped down project file and submitted a bug report today. It shows that any of our content switching objects outside of the initial activated area do not work (collide) once they get activated. Thanks, I look forward to hearing a solution.

TheSpydog

@agentmonday This is just a guess, but have you checked your sprite origins? Are they where they're supposed to be? I've seen a few people have some strange issues because updating their IDE somehow moved their sprite origins, causing the graphics and collisions to be out of sync. This appears to be separate from the runtime collision problems that have been widely reported.

A

agentmonday

@agentmonday This is just a guess, but have you checked your sprite origins? Are they where they're supposed to be? I've seen a few people have some strange issues because updating their IDE somehow moved their sprite origins, causing the graphics and collisions to be out of sync. This appears to be separate from the runtime collision problems that have been widely reported.
Thanks TheSpydog for the suggestion. Yes, I have tried this and a lot of other things. Yet, the issues persist. I have even made a simple little demo where you move from room to room following Shaun Spaldings code to see if that works but it does not.

A

agentmonday

@rwkay Just to follow up, we have created a stripped down project file and submitted a bug report today. It shows that any of our content switching objects outside of the initial activated area do not work (collide) once they get activated. Thanks, I look forward to hearing a solution.
I have made something similar and put in Shaun Spalding's code (to make sure it isn't just MY code) and the issue persists. Not much else I can do.

S

SpaceNerd

Soooooooooooo... is my code broken or did no update fix this bug?

M

Menik

Honestly, I appreciate how responsive the GM Team is but as I look over the community I really feel like we're all beta testers with stumped projects. I pretty much just hop from an bug, to a design flaw, to another bug, and I'm trying to maintain patience.

Runtime 2.1.3.189 is no longer available to revert to (if that is the last runtime without this bug), unless there is another way to access it how can I move forward from here? I have a rare window to get a lot of work done on this project.

Thanks.

Toque

Honestly, I appreciate how responsive the GM Team is but as I look over the community I really feel like we're all beta testers with stumped projects. I pretty much just hop from an bug, to a design flaw, to another bug, and I'm trying to maintain patience.

Runtime 2.1.3.189 is no longer available to revert to (if that is the last runtime without this bug), unless there is another way to access it how can I move forward from here? I have a rare window to get a lot of work done on this project.

Thanks.
This is why I’m never in a hurry to update and think mandatory updates are crazy. Especially if you can’t revert back to old versions.......

M

Menik

This is why I’m never in a hurry to update and think mandatory updates are crazy. Especially if you can’t revert back to old versions.......
Touche. I sit here a fool thinking GM Studios 2 would ever be a safe space to update. Should've took what I learned from Windows 10. However, not being able to revert to any previous version sounds a bit unreasonable. Isn't this why the runtimes system exists?

Dog Slobber

Except that version was a forced upgrade. People had no choice to upgrade and then no ability to revert back to a pre-2.14 runtime.

Joe Ellis

Russell
HAHA this is so typical of yoyo games, how could they release an update with a bug that breaks all games and they know nothing about it?
because... probably several reasons that I would probably get kicked off for saying, but on a positive note, they will fix this cus its in their interest

Toque

Except that version was a forced upgrade. People had no choice to upgrade and then no ability to revert back to a pre-2.14 runtime.
I’m learning GML so there is times something doesn’t work and you wonder “is it my code or a bug?”

It’s usually code. I wouldn’t know the difference anyways.

It’s impossible to fully test an update with all scenarios. There will be bugs.

Last edited: