GMC Jam Discussion GMC Jam 30 / XXX / Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

Wraithious

I'm gonna make a game with at least 44 hookers now.
hahahahaha
there is no "sex trash" there.
there is no "mutilator" there.
there is no "volcano" there.
it is but a number hahahaha

Maybe this is a possibility:

I sit on the bald and they thrive = WIG

Code:
------ ---W--- --------- ------
--I-- -------(G)
--A----(G) --
I don't know where the G goes, as there are 2 8-letter words!

Reactions: NAL
W

Wraithious

hmmm

Code:
I----- S--N--- O-------- T-----
B-A-- A-------
T------L T-
Or the i sit on the bald and they thrive could be the last letter in each word

NAL

ʕ ᓀ ᴥ ᓂ ʔ
GMC Elder
I got nothing...can we have a clue about the clue or some kind of hint pretty please? What does "Brothers Go" refer to?
No hints I'm afraid, the puzzle already contains all the elements you'll need to decipher it. Everything's just getting harder to find.

They kind of look like ASCII code numbers to me.

in ASCII:

99 = c
118 = v
7 = BEL (Bell) causes an alarm or bell sound - Can also be triggered by the key combination CTRL-G

However, the Bel code eludes me. Either it could be a reference to the letter G from the CTR+G code, or B for Bel.

Or looking at the clue - Brothers Go ....Together - CTRL+C and CTRL+V are the Copy and Paste shortcuts - and their brother is the CTRL+X (Cut) Command - so maybe the last letter is X (But then how does that relate to the number 7, and which 8-letter word does it go in - perhaps as before, 1 letter for each theme)

There's only 1 5-letter and 1 7-letter word, so c and v would give:

Code:
------ -V-W--- --------- ------

--I-C ------(G/X?)-

--A---(G/X?)G --
Which makes absolutely no sense whatever.

Thank you and goodnight, I have to take my medicine now.

M

Master Maker

Maybe the X has something to do with it being gmc jam 30? XXX

You typed it in but didn't search it? :p
Brothers Go - First Hit - Chemical Brothers - Go

Chemical - Table of Elements:

7 = N (Nitrogen)
118 = Og ( Oganesson )
99 = Es ( Einsteinium )

Code:
----ES ---W--- --------- ------
--I-- -OG-----
--A---NG --

Just not sure where the 118 and 99 go. Are we supposed to use both letters of the element? 99 (Es) could then be part of either a 5 or 6 letter word. And 118(Og) could be part of a 7 or 8 letter word depending on number of letters used.
No hints I'm afraid, the puzzle already contains all the elements you'll need to decipher it.
You sneaky....I see what you did there.

Everything's just getting harder to find.
...and there...awesome...

D

dannyjenn

brothers grim?
My first guess. That, and the Mario brothers... and then I started thinking Smash brothers, and Teen Titans Go! (And perhaps 'go' has something to do with 五, i.e. 5, as in the Mach Five. Go Speed Racer Go.)

They kind of look like ASCII code numbers to me.
My second guess. But I figured this was wrong as soon as I realized that chr(7) is not a letter...

M

Master Maker

So how many themes are there? Are each of the lines a theme?

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
My second theme guess:

...what? I can have fun with cryptic clues too, can't I?

Reactions: NAL
For reference.
Code:
- - - - E S    - - - W - - -    - - - - - - - - -    - - - - - -
- - I - -    - O G - - - - -
- - A - - - N G    - -
A = 7
B = ate
C = 9

7 to 9 of 9 is the first 60.
7 to 8 of 8 is the last 40. (Not the ng, I assume that refers to the NG in the third theme).
100 is the start of the Gungeon. (All I can think here is enter the Gungeon, but I don't actually know anything about that game).

There is only one 9 letter word, which is the third word in the first theme.
The only 8 letter word, excluding the one with NG is the second word of the second theme.

So... Not sure what first 60 means or last 40.
Or 100 is the start of the Gungeon. But I did the easy part.

Code:
- - - - E S    - - - W - - -    - - - - - - - 6 0    - - - - - -
- - I - -    - O G - - - 4 0
- - A - - - N G    - -
Another thing that bothers me is why it says "Why's" instead of "Why is" but that probably doesn't matter.

Sk8dududu

Well the breach isn't actually in the gungeon. So I'd say the start is the Keep of the Lead Lord. I know basically everything about gungeon because it's the only thing I play other than BoI, but I'm not very good at puzzles.

One possibility is that we're supposed to extend the connection between the letters and numbers.

ie, D = 10, E = 11 etcetera. But that feels like a stretch. It doesn't let use get 40 or 60 because we still need letters for 0, 4 and 6.

Wait.

Keep of the Lead Lord.

KLL
1 = K
0 = L

Then we know 0 so first 60 means 6 = F and last 40 means 4 = L? No we already have L, I don't think that's it. Pretty sure about KLL though, that makes a lot of sense.

John Andrews

Living Enigma
Oh HECK YES I'm participating this time around! Coincidentally I was thinking about remaking one of my jam games into a full game haha! And since I have a good pc this time around I'll be able to participate this time :D

The full title of the game is Enter The Gungeon.

The numbers could be percentages.

100% is the start of the gungeon
100% is the word ENTER.
If we divide up the word, each letter is 20% (100/5)
So the first 60% is ENT
The last 40% is ER

7 to 9 of 9 is the first 60.
7 to 8 of 8 is the last 40. (Not the ng, I assume that refers to the NG in the third theme).
So that means letters 7 to 9 of the 9 letter word is the first 60% (ENT)
And the last 40% is letters 7 and 8 of the 8 letter word which doesn't have NG in it (ER)

Code:
- - - - - -    - - - W - - -    - - - - - - E N T    - - - - E S
- - I - -    - O G - - - E R
- - A - - - N G    - -
The 2nd word of the 2nd theme would then probably be TOGETHER
- STICK TOGETHER?
- BRING TOGETHER?

Actually STICK TOGETHER would explain @Alice 's previous drawing as well! Alice may have been way ahead of us.

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
Well, the last Jam winner performed particularly well in a boss-themed Jam, so of course it would be in their interest to have this Jam boss-themed as well. *whistling*

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
Insert IT in the first theme in some word, with 2 letters before.
Insert ET in the second theme in some word, with 3 letters before.
Insert UP in the third theme in some word, with 0 letters before.

Results:
Code:
- - I T - -    - - - W - - -    - - - - - - E N T    - - - - E S
- - I - -    - O G E T - E R
- - A - - - N G    U P
The first theme might alternatively end with --ITES rather than ----ES (and the first word is still unhinted), but I doubt that.

With all that, I figure the themes could be something like:
SWITCH BETWEEN DIFFERENT BODIES
STICK TOGETHER
REACHING UP

With all that, I figure the themes could be something like:
SWITCH BETWEEN DIFFERENT BODIES
STICK TOGETHER
REACHING UP
First Theme : As I also think the first word is most likely "switch" - I'll copy Alice's guess : SWITCH BETWEEN DIFFERENT BODIES
Second Theme : BRING TOGETHER
Third Theme : STACKING UP

Dupletor

One thing, do I have to exclusively use GMS to develop the game? Or can I create my own interfaces that work along with GMS in order to control resources GMS can't? (Like make the game window become a circle and stuff)
GMS has some hard limitations, and I would like to use it only for the rooms, windows and most of game mechanics, while there would be mechanics interactions external to it.
You can either accept the fact taht I use external resources due to system limitations or have me ignore the event completely

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
@Dupletor
As far as I can tell, the general rule is to make the kind of game that can be compiled with GameMaker? So it's perfectly acceptable to make a DLL that GameMaker game would call (there are some functions for that). So if the things you need can be wrapped in such a library, it shouldn't be an issue.
On the other hand, making a non-GameMaker application that somehow uses/launches GameMaker game wouldn't be a valid entry. I think that in the end, it's GameMaker-based logic that should manage all of gameplay interactions, be it through native GML scriptery or through external extensions included with the game.
Hope this clears things up.

Status
Not open for further replies.