OFFICIAL Nintendo Switch Open Beta Now Available

rmanthorp

GameMaker Staff
Admin
GameMaker Dev.
We are now at the open beta phase of the GameMaker Studio 2 Nintendo Switch licence. Its full commercial launch is expected in September 2018. With the GameMaker Studio 2 Nintendo Switch, GameMaker Studio 2 games can be exported directly to Nintendo Switch.

With GameMaker Studio 2 Nintendo Switch export, GameMaker is expanding its already significant reach to developers looking to release on the hugely successful console that can be played anytime, anywhere, with anyone. First launched by YoYo Games in March 2017, GameMaker Studio 2 has seen continual growth since its release. The launch of the open beta is the next step in the culmination of GameMaker Studio 2 Nintendo Switch, that will launch this September.

Read our blog post for details on how to get started: https://www.yoyogames.com/blog/479/nintendo-switch-open-beta-now-available

TheSpydog

Congrats on the release! :)

I gotta say, though, the instructions for obtaining access to the Switch module kinda leave out some important steps. Like... getting approved by Nintendo. It takes a lot more than just "signing up" on their dev website to gain access to Switch development tools. I hope people don't get too disappointed when they realize that only 3DS and Wii U tools are semi-publicly available.

JeffJ

Finally! Congratulations to YYG and to all the eagerly awaiting devs out there. I know this has been a long hard process. Great work!

COWCAT

Currently testing the three games I've already released to other consoles and all of them seem to work *almost* flawlessly, just some minor bugs here and there :) I mean, seriously, they're all in playable state with the exact same code as PS4!

For a beta this is pretty great! Thank you so much for the hard work!

Last edited:
Guess that keeps out the riff-raff.
I may be riff-raff. Someday though.

This looks cool. Look forward to finally buying all those Gamemaker games, like Undertale and Hyperlight Drifter which I haven't actually ever played. Cool to be able to see those games coming at some point in the future. As well as to eventually have the opportunity to develop for a Nintendo console myself. (And the best Nintendo console at that).

Currently testing the three games I've already released to other consoles and all of them seem to work *almost* flawlessly, just some minor bugs here and there :) I mean, seriously, they're all in playable state with the exact same code as PS4!

For a beta this is pretty great! Thank you so much for the hard work!
How was the approval process? Any Insights on how we can get started?

@RichHopelessComposer, as the forums most vocal advocate for the Switch export - time to step up ;)
Yup, it really is. I said the same thing about myself to Barvix just yesterday, hahah. Time to get off my ass. :'D

If anyone who's been approved by Nintendo has any info on how that happened (what publisher you're using, who you talked to, how long the response took, etc), I'd really appreciate it here or in PM. Have to start working on a demo or trailer for them now, depending on what they want.

The-any-Key

I googled a little and it seem that if you are an individual, you should make the game first, then contact the dev department via email and show the game. You can also release the game on another platform to show the game. Then you may get approved to release it on Nintendo switch.
You get the contact info when you login to your Nintendo developer console and go to Publish>Submission.

COWCAT

How was the approval process? Any Insights on how we can get started?
Create an account on Nintendo Developer site, then contact Nintendo with the email that should be listed there.

I had already released 3 games on PS4, Xbox One and PS Vita so I guess that's why I had no trouble to get accepted. (2 of them were developed by another developer but I ported/published them myself)

A

agentmonday

Yes. Congratulations. Now, it would be beneficial to provide ppl with a bit more clarity. For instance, you need actual approval from Nintendo so you could spend $1500 on your SUBSCRIPTION and still not be able to get past their approval? Also, does Nintendo charge fees? I am betting they do. I now begin to understand why titles such as Wuppo first began life on the PC.

We are now at the open beta phase of the GameMaker Studio 2 Nintendo Switch licence. Its full commercial launch is expected in September 2018. With the GameMaker Studio 2 Nintendo Switch, GameMaker Studio 2 games can be exported directly to Nintendo Switch.

With GameMaker Studio 2 Nintendo Switch export, GameMaker is expanding its already significant reach to developers looking to release on the hugely successful console that can be played anytime, anywhere, with anyone. First launched by YoYo Games in March 2017, GameMaker Studio 2 has seen continual growth since its release. The launch of the open beta is the next step in the culmination of GameMaker Studio 2 Nintendo Switch, that will launch this September.

Read our blog post for details on how to get started: https://www.yoyogames.com/blog/479/nintendo-switch-open-beta-now-available

A

agentmonday

Create an account on Nintendo Developer site, then contact Nintendo with the email that should be listed there.

I had already released 3 games on PS4, Xbox One and PS Vita so I guess that's why I had no trouble to get accepted. (2 of them were developed by another developer but I ported/published them myself)
If it’s a first game - I’ve been working on it with another individual for 4 years now - will screenshots suffice or made I should capture a video?? Also, they say “outline” for the game should be provided - is this a bulletpoint list of what the game is about and how it plays etc?

Thanks for any info!

JeffJ

Yes. Congratulations. Now, it would be beneficial to provide ppl with a bit more clarity. For instance, you need actual approval from Nintendo so you could spend $1500 on your SUBSCRIPTION and still not be able to get past their approval?
Don't worry. You can't even purchase the Switch export (or any other console export) for GMS2 until you're already approved for that particular platform. Go ahead and try.

EDIT
You mentioned the subscription. In the event you do purchase the Ultimate licence, then it will only contain the console exports for which you are registered as an approved developer. If you are not licensed for any of the available console platforms, then the Ultimate license will simply contain all the "regular" platforms (Desktop, Mobile, Web, UWP etc.)

J

joakimFF

If it’s a first game - I’ve been working on it with another individual for 4 years now - will screenshots suffice or made I should capture a video?? Also, they say “outline” for the game should be provided - is this a bulletpoint list of what the game is about and how it plays etc?

Thanks for any info!

Take a look at the Publisher pitch blog by YOYO its pretty much what Nintendo would like to see as well.
https://www.yoyogames.com/blog/477/nail-your-publisher-pitch

C

Cybiont Technologies

At least the port option is there. After showing success in other platforms would it that hard to get a license from Nintendo and then port straight to Switch using GMS2?

W

William E.

That's cool that GameMaker games can come to the Switch, my favorite console at the moment!

U

Ulcius

Got approved by Nintendo and now I am only waiting for Yoyo to let me spend the moneey on the Switch plugin.
Super, super hyped! Hope it will be easy peasy to port the game to Switch

vdweller

I contacted Nintendo Europe back in May to ask if they were interested in publishing Gleaner Heights. They didn't reply, not even to my follow-up email a couple months later.

I then wrote to Nintendo America in early August for the same thing. After a month, they replied to my follow-up email saying that they have lots of submissions and to be patient. A few days earlier they gave their final reply. Sadly, they won't accept Gleaner Heights.

I know it was a long shot, 50-50 at best, but damn, I was optimistic. What kinds of games do they accept? GH performed p. decently, had some good press coverage too.

I am sad :(

Edit: Maybe they rejected it because I'm not based in the US. I sent a second follow-up email to Nintendo Europe...

Last edited:

The-any-Key

Sadly, they won't accept Gleaner Heights
You know Gleaner Heights looks a bit too similar to Nintendos own Harvest moon? And base many things on Twin Peaks. I am just guessing here, but it might be that. Because these kinds of things can give Nintendo copyright issues if they start publish your game on Switch. Or you need to publish on other consoles like Cowcat did. After some research on the web, it seem Nintendo need to see that your game is working on other consoles. Before Nintendo them-self touch it.

The-any-Key

GH is closer to HM than SV
I think so too. Your mechanics are more similar to HM compare to SV.

Note that SV was released on PS4 and Xbox before it was released on Switch. SV however got a big fanbase so it might be that too.

So try get your game more popular and release it on other consoles. Its what I would try.

kupo15

I then wrote to Nintendo America in early August for the same thing. After a month, they replied to my follow-up email saying that they have lots of submissions and to be patient. A few days earlier they gave their final reply. Sadly, they won't accept Gleaner Heights.
Sorry to hear that! Did you contact them through the email links in the blog post? And when you said you asked for Publishing, did you only ask to be a Switch Developer or did you also ask for funding? Do you (or anyone) knows if we could also ask for funding during the pitch or should contacting them there should only be to be an approved developer and there is another way one should seek funding?

GH is closer to HM than SV :)
Oh, looks deceived me, I guess! Still, I really don't think that's why your game wasn't picked up. Blossom Tales and Fast RMX both got onto the system, right? I think SV getting on the system probably had more to do with it than them worrying about Harvest Moon, though. They might've thought "we just got that *other* indie farming game," I guess, if they're trying to get as much variety on the system as quickly as possible. ):

If not that, I don't know *why* your game didn't get picked up though, considering some of the games I've seen get accepted/on the system. Nintendo's choices honestly seem completely random to me sometimes.

I'd just aim for other consoles right now or Steam, and/or resubmit in six months or whatever. I doubt the quality of your game is the reason they denied you.

Last edited:

vdweller

Oh, looks deceived me, I guess! Still, I really don't think that's why your game wasn't picked up. Blossom Tales and Fast RMX both got onto the system, right? I think SV getting on the system probably had more to do with it than them worrying about Harvest Moon, though. They might've thought "we just got that *other* indie farming game," I guess, if they're trying to get as much variety on the system as quickly as possible. ):

If not that, I don't know *why* your game didn't get picked up though, considering some of the games I've seen get accepted/on the system. Nintendo's choices honestly seem completely random to me sometimes.

I'd just aim for other consoles right now or Steam, and/or resubmit in six months or whatever. I doubt the quality of your game is the reason they denied you.
About that, after getting rejected by Nintendo I turned to Microsoft for an official (ie not self-publish) release on XBox One, and they approved the pitch immediately. So yes, game quality most likely was not the issue here. Hopefully if Nintendo wants to see an indie developer have some experience porting the game to other consoles first, maybe they'll re-evaluate the game at a later point. But chances are that the Switch market will be quite more saturated by that time.

I really wonder what publishing a game on a console like Xbox means sales-wise, it's sure expensive to get in as they want to obtain ratings, probably an E&O Insurance and whatever else, but I digress.

EDIT: This is for the future reader.
After many months, Nintendo finally replied and they want to move forward with the game. So I guess they needed some time to sort through all these applications? They provided no explanation as to why it took them so long, it was just an email like "hi guy, please follow these steps to get started with us". Ummm...okay, I guess? So, future reader who may or may not have a similar issue, give it some time, and in less than a year Nintendo may reply lol

Last edited: