GML How to minimise megabytes of game throughout development?

R

Red Phantom

Just a general question, in what different ways can I condense the data of my game so that it has lesser or minimal megabytes as the final?

Some steps I already follow are:
--Any sprite that will not be used in objects, create as a background instead
--Convert any backgrounds into a tile-sheet where practical
--In general minimal objects(as this also makes it easier to navigate through objects)
--Any code 3 lines or over that is repeated at least 3 or so times use as a script so there is less overall coding??
--Have a minimalistic resource tree

The-any-Key

If you want less Mb. I would suggest smaller and less sprites/background/tiles. Short and less sounds (also try tick the "compress" on all sounds and you may get a surprise). I think these two is the bottleneck when it comes to the final size.
Also try compile an empty project so you see the minimal size. I think there are some add-on for some platforms that you can un-tick in the game properties menu too.

flerpyderp

On this topic, what are the best settings for using ogg vorbis files for music without percievable degradation of quality? My file sizes would be considerably smaller if I avoided using wav for music.

The-any-Key

ogg vorbis
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=ogg+vorbis+file+size

But some may say quality is stereo sound when you use headphones and some use speakers that allow mono to sound ok. It also depends on the sound itself. Some sounds and music can have a low kbps without quality loss while other do. Best it to test and listen on different settings.

The general rule is to use compressed sounds if you want the minimal size. Quality is the opposite factor. If you want quality you use wav or the top compression settings. Sorry to say, you can't get both. Only a compromise between the two.

Last edited:

flerpyderp

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=ogg+vorbis+file+size

But some may say quality is stereo sound when you use headphones and some use speakers that allow mono to sound ok. It also depends on the sound itself. Some sounds and music can have a low kbps without quality loss while other do. Best it to test and listen on different settings.

The general rule is to use compressed sounds if you want the minimal size. Quality is the opposite factor. If you want quality you use wav or the top compression settings. Sorry to say, you can't get both. Only a compromise between the two.
Could you clarify the intended purpose of that passive aggressive link you've posted?

I intended to use .ogg, as many games do, but after importing the file into GMS, it contained noticeable unwanted artifacts that are not inherent to using the file format, hence my question about specific settings.