Legacy GM Network working only locally and error treatment

M

Marcos Ferreira

hi devs!

Anybody could help me with this situation? I tried to find something about on google and here, but no success. How to make my multiplayer game works online, only work with local ip or lan, i think this is a port fowarding question, but i set up my router and dont have success with this... there's any way to work without config router?

Another question, when network try to connect, my game stop responding, how to prevent this and if not connect in 10 seconds stop trying.

Sorry my english, this is another thing i'm learning.

Last edited by a moderator:
hi devs!

Anybody could help me with this situation? I tried to find something about on google and here, but no success. How to make my multiplayer game works online, only work with local ip or lan, i think this is a port fowarding question, but i set up my router and dont have success with this... there's any way to work without config router?

Another question, when network try to connect, my game stop responding, how to prevent this and if not connect in 10 seconds stop trying.

Sorry my english, this is another thing i'm learning.
Are you using a IPv4 Address?
also try a different port like: 11111

R

renex

First of all, use a non-blocking socket. http://docs.yoyogames.com/source/dadiospice/002_reference/networking/network_set_config.html

Next, you have three options for online multiplayer, in order of code complexity.

1. You may have to tell players to port-forward for your game.
2. Use a central server as a relay, through which game connections pass through.
3. Use a central server to achieve UDP hole punching.

If you go with 1 there are many people who will happily use Hamachi to play your game. It's the easiest solution for you, but not the most convenient for the player.

M

Marcos Ferreira

Are you using a IPv4 Address?
also try a different port like: 11111
Thanks for respondingI tried but not work, trying another ports without success :((

First of all, use a non-blocking socket. http://docs.yoyogames.com/source/dadiospice/002_reference/networking/network_set_config.html

Next, you have three options for online multiplayer, in order of code complexity.

1. You may have to tell players to port-forward for your game.
2. Use a central server as a relay, through which game connections pass through.
3. Use a central server to achieve UDP hole punching.

If you go with 1 there are many people who will happily use Hamachi to play your game. It's the easiest solution for you, but not the most convenient for the player.
oh interesting, could you have any link or idea how to do hole punching? i dont like use hamashi or port fowarding

M

Marcos Ferreira

You only need to hole punch if you are using a client to client setup.

If it is client/server based, only the server needs to ports forward. Again, clients don't ever need to port forward.
yes i know, but i would like they didnt need to set up port fowarding, because player could host game too.