Legacy GM instance_create doesn 't work

H

Hoepilaar

I am trying to create a button that when pressed creates a GUI on the side of the room. for the GUI to be interactive, i made buttons (obj_more, obj_less) wich should spawn when the button is pressed. But when I try the code I also used for another button (wich worked) it didn 't work. I also didn 't get any errors. Here 's my code (inside left click event)
Code:
global.ActiveMenu = sbuild;
global.ActiveState = 0;

//create more and less
var more = instance_create(712, 184, obj_more);
more.modGoal = BuildObj;
var less = instance_create(904, 184, obj_less);
less.modGoal = BuildObj;
if (anyoneCouldHelp == true) {
draw_text(0, 0, "that would be awesome!");
}

M

Misty

In each object's create event put a show message. That will show if the object is real for sure.

Simon Gust

Is the event the global left mouse button click event? Make sure it's the global one.
A quick way to test if the event is firing at all is to put a
Code:
game_end();
into it and see if the game closes.

H

Hoepilaar

Is the event the global left mouse button click event? Make sure it's the global one.
A quick way to test if the event is firing at all is to put a
Code:
game_end();
into it and see if the game closes.
In each object's create event put a show message. That will show if the object is real for sure.
So I used de debug module (F6) to test if the instances acctually spawned, and no they didnt, but the script did fire (after testing with game_end). Making it a global mouse event just broke the whole game so that wasnt the solution either.

M

Misty

Put a show_message in the Step event of obj_more and obj_less and see how many times it fires. (Put "-1" as the message of obj_less and "1" as the message of obj_more.)

what does modGoal do and whats BuildObj -is it an instance_create() too?- and actually I've encountered problems with using those DnD mouse click events which didn't work but when I tried a key, it did work strangely, maybe they are like collision based clicking upon the object that the event exist.

Try point_in_rectangle() type of functions

H

Hoepilaar

Put a show_message in the Step event of obj_more and obj_less and see how many times it fires. (Put "-1" as the message of obj_less and "1" as the message of obj_more.)
I have found my problem, I had an object deleting the more/less objects every step. What stupid of me :bash: