• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Discussion [SOLVED]Clicking on a Eula before the start of a project

XanthorXIII

I don’t get why Esoteric is making this a condition for GameMaker users when others do not have to do the same? Are we just Special? I own two licenses of which I have already been granted the rights to use their runtime in the engine of my choosing. I don’t see why I need to be doubly bound and then again for every project I create be it I use spine in that project or not.
And I don’t have to do it in other software that I have access to.

rIKmAN

I don’t get why Esoteric is making this a condition for GameMaker users when others do not have to do the same? Are we just Special? I own two licenses of which I have already been granted the rights to use their runtime in the engine of my choosing. I don’t see why I need to be doubly bound and then again for every project I create be it I use spine in that project or not.
And I don’t have to do it in other software that I have access to.
I think it's probably to cover YYG legally against the people that don't own Spine and decide it's a good idea to circumvent the EULA and use DragonBones to export Spine formatted json files, then use those in GMS.

They can't deny they didn't know what they were doing if they actively have to click and accept the licence before they compile each project, and that also covers YYG as what more can they do than put the EULA front and centre and make sure people are accepting it?

There have been many posts about it here including DB>Spine converters and tutorial videos on how to use DB files without needing to own Spine, which is obviously against the terms of the Spine licence as GMS uses the official Spine runtimes.

I know what you are saying but it's 1 click on first compile so it's not really a massive issue, and if it means Esoteric sell more licences to allow them to keep updating and improving Spine then I'm all for it.

XanthorXIII

If Esoteric and YoYo is so concerned why not allow us to do an integration link to our Spine license and for the folks that don’t own one go through the accept Eula process. This might get them more sales and I wouldn’t be bothered by a goofy check each time I started a new project. Win-Win

gnysek

If Esoteric and YoYo is so concerned why not allow us to do an integration link to our Spine license and for the folks that don’t own one go through the accept Eula process. This might get them more sales and I wouldn’t be bothered by a goofy check each time I started a new project. Win-Win
I've started a new project 3 times this night and didn't get any EULA questions. Doesn't it show when you import spine images only ?

XanthorXIII

I had miss-read the notes. I thought it was for all projects regardless if it contained Spine resources or not. My bad. I'll have to test with a Spine file to see what it looks like. This isn't too bad now. But still if they could some how do an integration that checks for a Spine license, maybe they could then block importing Spine Resources solving the issue that Esoteric has with them using the official runner with files created in other software other than Spine.

rIKmAN

I've started a new project 3 times this night and didn't get any EULA questions. Doesn't it show when you import spine images only ?
I had miss-read the notes. I thought it was for all projects regardless if it contained Spine resources or not. My bad. I'll have to test with a Spine file to see what it looks like. This isn't too bad now. But still if they could some how do an integration that checks for a Spine license, maybe they could then block importing Spine Resources solving the issue that Esoteric has with them using the official runner with files created in other software other than Spine.
Yeah it's only when the project contains Spine sprites, I assumed that's what Xanthor was talking about.

If it happened when a project didn't contain them then yeah that would be very odd and annoying.

gnysek

But then Esoteric Software need to prepare linking accounts on their side. Maybe they doesn't want to spend time and money on it, as licence agreement is enough?

XanthorXIII

But then Esoteric Software need to prepare linking accounts on their side. Maybe they doesn't want to spend time and money on it, as licence agreement is enough?
With the shaky support that GMS has had for Spine putting in a Eula before compiling a project is annoying. I won’t say it would drive people away from using Spine in GMS, this is just not helping. I think it would go a long way to ether A. Put in a Verification System, B. Put in a One Time Agreement for GMS Use C. Do it every so many days D. Do when an update is Pushed out. I don’t see a reason to annoy your end users with this.

rIKmAN

With the shaky support that GMS has had for Spine putting in a Eula before compiling a project is annoying. I won’t say it would drive people away from using Spine in GMS, this is just not helping. I think it would go a long way to ether A. Put in a Verification System, B. Put in a One Time Agreement for GMS Use C. Do it every so many days D. Do when an update is Pushed out. I don’t see a reason to annoy your end users with this.
We have no way of knowing why, maybe Esoteric requested it and YoYo had no choice?
As I said users trying to get around the EULA by using DragonBones has been a popular topic on here, and maybe they noticed and wanted to enforce it by making sure people know they require a Spine licence to use them inside GMS.

A popular misconception throughout those threads was that owning the GMS licence was enough to allow you to use them.

It's not really annoying, I would agree if it was every single time you compiled but it's literally 1 click upon first compile of a project and you'll never see it again for that project - it takes 1 second and as long as you aren't making 10 new projects an hour then it's a bit of a non issue (and even then it'd only takes a total of 10 seconds).