• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Legacy GM Runner Always Crashing on Game End. Should I Reinstall?

I having a problem with Gm Studio 1.4.1804. The runner crashes when ever I end the game somehow. Based on the massive number of games that are doing this, and the simplicity of some of the files doing it, I know the problem not my programming, but something is wrong with the way GM is working. It hangs on ending a game and says the runner need to close. I've previously reported this as a bug, but need to know what I should do about it.

Should I try reinstalling the same version 1.4.1804 or going back to an earlier version? I know Studio 1 isn't going to be updated anymore soon, but it seems the final version's runner has been (very distressingly) left in a broken state. At least that's how it seems on my computer, but if I can fix this on my end, please tell me how.

I've had these kinds of issue while i was using GM studio 1, for me, a complete reinstall of the program did the job.
I reinstalled, but I have the same problem. During reinstall it said the Mac and Tizen modules didn't install correctly (I don't have the Mac module, and I think Tizen was discontinued). At the very end of install I got the message

"Invalid at the top of the document.
Line 1
HTTP/1.1 502 Bad Gateway."

It loads up and runs the game, but does the same soft crash on game end. The GameMaker: Studio Runner has stop working form comes up.

The compile says this:

"Attempting to set gamepadcount to 12
Unable to find output device "null" defaulting to "Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio) via DirectSound"
Total memory used = 354805(0x000569f5) bytes
Attempting to set gamepadcount to 0
Compile finished: 3:51:00 PM"

The problem hasn't changed a bit after reinstall. Any other ideas what I should do?

Lazzeking

I reinstalled, but I have the same problem. During reinstall it said the Mac and Tizen modules didn't install correctly (I don't have the Mac module, and I think Tizen was discontinued). At the very end of install I got the message

"Invalid at the top of the document.
Line 1
HTTP/1.1 502 Bad Gateway."

It loads up and runs the game, but does the same soft crash on game end. The GameMaker: Studio Runner has stop working form comes up.

The compile says this:

"Attempting to set gamepadcount to 12
Unable to find output device "null" defaulting to "Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio) via DirectSound"
Total memory used = 354805(0x000569f5) bytes
Attempting to set gamepadcount to 0
Compile finished: 3:51:00 PM"

The problem hasn't changed a bit after reinstall. Any other ideas what I should do?
As said in this discussion, you should try to revert to an earlier version, or just try to switch to GMS2.

As said in this discussion, you should try to revert to an earlier version, or just try to switch to GMS2.
Had to go back two versions to 1.4.1773 to solve the problem. I guess the error has something to do with the new audio system based on the link, though they weren't getting a soft crash in their case. It's sure annoying that the final two versions (before no more updates) are unusable, at least in my case. Thanks for the help though!