• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Can you make a RPG like (Earthbound Final fantasy Pokemon) With D&D

R

RedDragon64

Can I do that?????????
Things I would want to add:
Rolling Hp & Mp
Earthbound like menus and battle screens
Monster collecting

And side note did toby fox use D&D in gamemaker?

Honestly. You're gonna have a hard time getting what you want from just drag 'n drop especially when it comes to the dialogue system and battle screens. Undertale is a very complex game which was done in mostly code (as far as I'm aware). It may look like all the things in that game could be easily done, but they really aren't. They take a lot of problem-solving and coding. DnDing everything would take FOREVER and I'd think it'd actually get kind of hard to keep track of whats what. Not to mention there's a limit to how many events an object can have (I think).

So although coding is much harder than drag and drop, it's also more organized. It's gonna be a lot of hardwork for someone new to GameMaker language or coding in general, especially by yourself. It took Toby 3-4 years to make Undertale, and that was by himself (and Temmy). But by all means, don't be discouraged. Keep at it! But teams definitely would help.

So in short, the answer is no. But also yes.

R

RedDragon64

Soooooooooo
What you are saying is it's like building a house out of sand grain by grain with no water and with tweezers and you have to run back to get more sand
from the beach when you run out?

R

Rukola

Soooooooooo
What you are saying is it's like building a house out of sand grain by grain with no water and with tweezers and you have to run back to get more sand
from the beach when you run out?
hah, yeah.

But no worries, follow a tutorial like this one and just start making your game. It'll be great :)

part 1 out of 4 (or something):

D

dannyjenn

Whether or not it's possible is irrelevant. The fact is, it's impractical.

I'm not a fan of drag-and-drop programming to begin with, but GameMaker's is particularly awkward. Perhaps this is just my opinion, but the 'new and improved' drag-and-drop system (GMS2) is even more confusing than the old system (GMS1.4 and earlier). And even the old system wasn't all that great. (I'll give it credit for being one of the first drag-and-drop systems out there, but it's far more bulky and awkward than other systems such as Scratch and Stencyl.)

My advice is to jump into learning GML as soon as possible. GML is a very easy language. Though it might at first seem a little more intimidating than drag-and-drop, it's actually a lot easier and less annoying to use.

G

Genie

My advice is to jump into learning GML as soon as possible. GML is a very easy language. Though it might at first seem a little more intimidating than drag-and-drop, it's actually a lot easier and less annoying to use.
100% agree

FoxxiLoxi

Agree, something that extensive GML would be best.

I recently was trying to quickly prototype an app I wanted to make in another software that was DND based, no option for coding, and when it came to certain things even though the app was simple, I couldn't get it to function how I wanted to because of limitations.

So fired up GMS and had something functioning how I wanted in two days of GML coding. ( Mind you, I haven't used GMS for almost anything I just more of collected it as one of my engines for if I need it I will use it type of situation.) But I have scripted before with C, Javascript and Java. I think I could have had it finished sooner if I had mastered GM so a lot of time was going back and forth with the manual to find keywords and how they function.

I was making a time tracker for my contractor job based off task submitted and they expected us to keep the total task we did and our time. Heck if I was going to keep track of that manually. So I needed something that timed me on each task, document when I submitted that task and when I finish to finalize a report of my production for that day in a text file. Then storing it in a directory of the current year and current month then name the file that date I did work. So it could also keep all the information organized for me in case I need to access the information.

I was so impress with GMS I am teaching my 9 year old with GMS:2 and had him doing DND. I will tell you a few things stumped me being that I don't use the feature and some how they are named didn't make sense. So I am only trying to understand DND to introduce my son to programming.

Last edited:

TheouAegis

Pretty much in order to do anything worthwhile in drag-and-drop, you need to be familiar with GML already. You can set variables to the results of function returns using DnD, but you need GML to know those functions. You can test function returns as expressions, but you need GML for that. Eventually all you won't know is GML syntax, at which point there's no longer any use in DnD when you can just type everything out 50 times faster.

Toque

I found the bigggest problem is when your stuck in DND your stuck.

In GML lots of really nice people will and can help you.

There isn’t many (any??) advanced DND users to help you out.

But why not start and build something in DND and see how it goes?? Everything h you learn isn’t wasted.

Building a game in GML isn’t exactly easy.

I don’t like your sand analogy. No it isn’t like that at all. That’s lots of easy mindless steps to make something big all you need is time.
Building a game is lots of easy and complex steps.

Try it out and have fun with it see where it takes you.

R

RedDragon64

Wow I did not think I would get so much love Thank you all I will try going forward to learn GML (SIDE NOTE DOES JAVA WORK?) and update on it a lot

But one final thing can you use D&D And GML together?

Cat

can you use D&D And GML together?
I suppose you could, but again, it would be incredibly impractical.

If you mix D&D and GML, it'll look like this:
Check Key [ Left ]
Start of block
Execute code
Code:
x -= 1;
End of block

Pure GML, on the other hand:
Code:
if keyboard_check(vk_left)
{
    x -= 1;
}
It's far neater and more efficient to use GML exclusively.

SIDE NOTE DOES JAVA WORK?
No, I do not believe you can use Java in GameMaker: Studio.

did toby fox use D&D in gamemaker?
He once posted some (since-deleted) screenshots of the game's code. So likely no.
edit: For some reason, I thought this said GML, not D&D. My post has been updated, along with my reading ability :p

Best of luck with your game. I'd love to see more of it!

Note: the names of the D&D functions might not be correct because I haven't even looked at them in like half a decade.

Last edited:

Toque

I played with D and D today. First time really. The logic is pretty much the same.
But I wonder how you would do things like inventories in D&D?

I think you can flip back and forth between GML and d and d. I will google it.

R

RomanPokorny

Honestly. You're gonna have a hard time getting what you want from just drag 'n drop especially when it comes to the dialogue system and battle screens. Undertale is a very complex game which was done in mostly code (as far as I'm aware). It may look like all the things in that game could be easily done, but they really aren't. They take a lot of problem-solving and coding. DnDing everything would take FOREVER and I'd think it'd actually get kind of hard to keep track of whats what. Not to mention there's a limit to how many events an object can have (I think).

So although coding is much harder than drag and drop, it's also more organized. It's gonna be a lot of hardwork for someone new to GameMaker language or coding in general, especially by yourself. It took Toby 3-4 years to make Undertale, and that was by himself (and Temmy). But by all means, don't be discouraged. Keep at it! But teams definitely would help.

So in short, the answer is no. But also yes.
It's Temmie! :D

Just learn GML. I'm making an RPG right now. This would be almost 💩💩💩💩ing impossible with DnD, lol. GML isn't hard to learn.

And no, Toby Fox didn't use DnD either. Because again, it'd be almost impossible to make an RPG that way, hahah.

Toque

So I was playing with the D and D. Pretty much everything you need is there. I was surprised how extensive the functions actually are!!

I think you could absolutely make a small simple game with it. But as I tried to do some things I was finding it difficult to read and follow. Maybe if I used it a lot more I could just read it like code.

It would help if I could rename the function boxes so I could follow it better. I didnt see an option to add comments either?

Because I knew the GML and logic I found it pretty easy to use. D and D basically saves you knowing the syntax and errors with that.

Not sure if D and D saves you much?

TheouAegis

Comment action used to be a triangle with an exclamation mark in it.

Any built-in function (GML) can be run from a Execute Code action or Set Variable action (kinda pointless usually though, lol). Even functions that don't return anything still return 0.

But GML is so much nicer. I made a fully functional sliding puzzle game with one graphic, one script, and one object with just one event in it with one script call. (The script itself was recursive, though.)

Last edited:

GMWolf

aka fel666
DnD is just GML, but you have to use the mouse a lot.
Otherwise, the logic is exactly the same.
Worthless if you ask me....

Toque

DnD is just GML, but you have to use the mouse a lot.
Otherwise, the logic is exactly the same.
Worthless if you ask me....
I actually wish I could do it all with a mouse. Sit back in my chair and see the magic happen(lol)....... From someone with a bad back.....leaning forward ugh.....