I have so many passwords here

C

Chungsie

So after 5+ password resets, NONE of my passwords may be used now. I'm running out of things I can remember, and have not remembered one password.

Amon

Dashlane, StickyPassword, LastPass. All good password managers. Export your passwords regularly for backup to disk and don't forget the master password otherwise you'll be in a world of hurt.

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
If this topic is about an inquiry whether there is anything that can be changed about old passwords not being re-usable... the standard answer would be that security-related concerns like the password requirements are controlled by Playtech and can not be changed by YoYo Games or board staff at will.

If that's not what this topic is about, I have no idea what this topic is about. Please clarify what this topic is about so that we can respond with a response suitable for what this topic is about and help you with what this topic is about.

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
Password options are limitless. There are plenty of ways to do things, especially if your passwords are "wordy." yoyogames, gamesyoyo, y0y0games, gamesy0y0, yoyogamesxx, xxyoyogames, 1yoyo2, 1yoyogames2, the list goes on and on!

Dog Slobber

Password options are limitless. There are plenty of ways to do things, especially if your passwords are "wordy." yoyogames, gamesyoyo, y0y0games, gamesy0y0, yoyogamesxx, xxyoyogames, 1yoyo2, 1yoyogames2, the list goes on and on!
Your list may go on and on, but not one of the example passwords you provided would have been accepted by the Forums password requirements.

R

ryu666

I use Lastpass and it works great for me, and its free, or you can get premium for $24 a year
its great too as it automatically logs in for you

Cheers

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
Your list may go on and on, but not one of the example passwords you provided would have been accepted by the Forums password requirements.
That may be, but the point still stands. I can't remember if it is a capital letter, or special character, or both, that I'm missing. Those are easy enough to add in, and in fact are simply more bits that you can vary to get that list even longer.

Dog Slobber

That may be, but the point still stands. I can't remember if it is a capital letter, or special character, or both, that I'm missing. Those are easy enough to add in, and in fact are simply more bits that you can vary to get that list even longer.

I'm not sure I understand what your point was.

The OP posted about the password requirements being much to restrictive.

They are:
  • both upper and lower case characters
  • number
  • special character
  • 10 character minimum
Listing a bunch of potential passwords where none of them meets the requirements and are inadequate in 2, 3 and 4 of the requirements, reinforces that the requirements are too restrictive.

It's also worth noting that the passwords you supplied are poor choices with regards to guess-ability and dictionary attacks. This is a common problem when password requirements are too restrictive, people choose passwords that may meet the requirements, but are otherwise poor.

The password requirements implemented help reduce brute force vulnerabilities, but poorly chosen passwords has become a bigger issue. Choosing a good password with overly restrictive requirements, that is easy to remember, recognizing that people often need to know dozens/hundreds of passwords is problematic. So they default to poor passwords.

Password managers are a partial solution, but they can introduce issues as well:
  • Not neccearily available on all devices
  • Not necessarily available on shared or non-private machines
  • Configurable to display passwords without authenticating first
  • Not compatible with many standalone apps

Top 500 list of worst passwords
https://www.symantec.com/connect/blogs/top-500-worst-passwords-all-time

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
Actually, the OP was complaining that He ran out of passwords that He could remember. The post doesn't even mention the restrictions at all. This is why I made the point that using your original password, it is easy to make a variety by adding things, changing some letters, etc...

My point had nothing to do with the actual security of the passwords, it was more about it being something that could be remembered based off the original password. Of course, any password based on words is theoretically guessable, and dictionary attackable(if that is a word :) ). The reality though is that even if you base your password off of actual dictionary words, once you add some special characters and change things up a little, brute force is no longer a viable option. And if it is indeed still an option, then there won't be much of anything to stop it without increasing restrictions even more, to say 20 character minimums with 5 special characters(non letters/numbers). At that point it just went too far.

But yeah, the most secure password is going to be something with lots of characters, combining special characters with numbers, and upper and lower case letters, something like "qaeergb^&qw3@EGHG" which of course is where you really start needing that password manager, which of course is technically another possible source of security risk.

All of that being said, I have always based my passwords on a couple of words, just like my examples I originally gave...I have never had my stuff hacked. The only time there has ever been an issue is with something that has nothing to do with passwords getting hacked, rather an overall server hack(I think there was one on the old GMC actually).