• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - IDE Any plans to update the performance/functionality of the manual?

T

Teethbrush

Things that bother me about the current implementation:
  • the amount of time it takes to render a file that is on your hard drive is bananas
  • you can't search for a string if one word is 2 characters or less (remember the bad old days when you couldn't search "the who" on google, and these are local files why is this even an issue?)
  • I like how easy GameMaker's dark theme is on the eyes, but whenever you look at something new in the manual it blinds you with a flash of brilliant white
I sincerely hope there are plans to improve this, it drives me nutty every time I open the manual.

Smiechu

The manual is not on your HD, it's online, so it's always actual.
For GMS2 it's i.e. here:
https://docs2.yoyogames.com
You can load it in your browser and have always in the background.

You know that in GMS2 when you klick with middle button on a function or builtin variable it goes directly to the manual where the functions is described?
The topics in manual are so well organised that searching makes no sense at all. You can find everythin with 3 klicks through the index tree.

I realy find the manual one of the cleanest and clearest I've seen for a software. I practically learned all the gml functionality from it.

The contrast thing... you should check your display contrast and brightness settings. Normally the change from dark to white by computer display should not blind you or make an unpleasant feel.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
  • you can't search for a string if one word is 2 characters or less (remember the bad old days when you couldn't search "the who" on google, and these are local files why is this even an issue?)
  • I like how easy GameMaker's dark theme is on the eyes, but whenever you look at something new in the manual it blinds you with a flash of brilliant white
Can I request you file a seperate bug report for each of these issues? The serach feature I definitely agree with and think it can/should be fixed. The white screen on initial load is also something that I feel should be looked at (I get it too)...

T

Teethbrush

Well I'm not sure what to believe because:
No, it is entirely offline. Only things that require internet are embedded components.

You know that in GMS2 when you klick with middle button on a function or builtin variable it goes directly to the manual where the functions is described?
The topics in manual are so well organised that searching makes no sense at all. You can find everythin with 3 klicks through the index tree.
This has not always been the case for me. I have stumbled across things before that I would have never found without the use of the search feature.

Can I request you file a seperate bug report for each of these issues?
Thanks, I hadn't considered this. c:

Dog Slobber

For GMS2 it's i.e. here:
https://docs2.yoyogames.com
You can load it in your browser and have always in the background.
Yes there is a copy of of the manual online, but there I also a local copy on your hard drive.

When you access the Help / Open Manual from within the IDE you're loading the local copy.

It's stored in:
(Mac) - GameMaker Studio 2.app / Contents / MonoBundle / chm2web
(Windows) - \Program Files\GameMaker Studio 2\chm2web

I sincerely hope there are plans to improve this, it drives me nutty every time I open the manual.
The local help uses CHM, Compiled HTML, and a third party tool to present it. There is limited customization options.

Smiechu

Yes there is a copy of of the manual online, but there I also a local copy on your hard drive.

When you access the Help / Open Manual from within the IDE you're loading the local copy.

It's stored in:

The local help uses CHM, Compiled HTML, and a third party tool to present it. There is limited customization options.
Yes, but i think the problem is that IDE is checking every time if the version on the HD is up to date, and this gives this problems with loading time.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin

It's stored in:
Yep, that is indeed exactly how it is. :)

Yes, but i think the problem is that IDE is checking every time if the version on the HD is up to date, and this gives this problems with loading time.
The manual is only updated when the IDE is updated, and the IDE doesn't check just for manual updates every time it's used. When you get an IDE update, you get a new manual, but at no ther time is there any type of download or check done.

Smiechu

Yep, that is indeed exactly how it is. :)

The manual is only updated when the IDE is updated, and the IDE doesn't check just for manual updates every time it's used. When you get an IDE update, you get a new manual, but at no ther time is there any type of download or check done.
Than it's worse for YoYo, that they have problems with so simple thing like loading manual from HD. I always thought that manual loading problems are caused by loading from internet.

T

Teethbrush

I have sent the bug reports (which for some reason turned into support tickets instead?) and it doesn't sound super promising.

The QA team has been "made aware" about the white flash when loading a page.
The limited search is a feature not a bug.
The performance issues are being ignored (literally, this is the only one they didn't reply to)

I'd hoped to find someone at YoYo Games who would champion the performance of the documentation, but it seems no one thinks it is an issue. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised when Mike himself displayed zero concern in this thread.

Smiechu

To be honest, besides couple of times when the docu simply didn't want to launch, it works perfectly fine for me...