• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

GameMaker How can I make an infinitely long room?

T

Teo

I already have a basic platformer with levels setup but I want to make an endless gamemode, heres what I want to be able to do: I want to randomly generate preset chunks side by side to make an endless runner, I don't want to make random terrain but preset structures in a random order infinitely.

you can make a finit room size then move every thing except the level when you reach a sertaint point and aligne the end with the start

if x > 3000 {
x -= 2500
with obj_enemies {
x -= 2500
}

T

Teo

Thanks I'll try that, even though it isn't fully randomized it could work for what I'm doing, but if anyone knows a method to make it randomized as well.

NightFrost

The basic idea with "infinite" rooms is that everything moves except the player. So if apparent motion is towards the right, everything moves left. They spawn beyond the right edge and get destroyed once they are past the left edge.

Bentley

I already have a basic platformer with levels setup but I want to make an endless gamemode, heres what I want to be able to do: I want to randomly generate preset chunks side by side to make an endless runner, I don't want to make random terrain but preset structures in a random order infinitely.
This is a terrible solution (take the word "solution" with a grain of salt). And it's probably the most inelegant approach ever:

I created a background sprite that tiles horizontally. I made the room double the width of that sprite. I gave the room that background and checked "horizontally tile".

I then placed two objects, obj_wrap_right, obj_wrap_left. As long as you place them away from the sides then the view won't snap. I placed the wrap objects in the exact same location in terms of where they match up.

So let's say there's a mountain in your background. That mountain will appear twice, because you tiled the background twice. So place obj_wrap_right at the right mountain, and obj_wrap_left at the left mountain. Snap the player to the left when he reaches the right. Because obj_wrap_left is far enough away from the left side of the room, you won't notice the change in position.

Code:
// Move to the right object
x += min(5, point_distance(x, 0, obj_wrap_right.x, 0));

// Are you there? Wrap to the left object
if (x == obj_wrap_right.x)
{
    x = obj_wrap_left.x;
}
Obviously, I didn't do the left side. And let me restate, I just did this real quick like so yeah. But let me know if you try it and it works / helps.

Last edited: