Distronaut

T O T A L A N A R C H Y
Welcome To Pavilion City

Platform: Windows
Creator: Fionn Hodgson
Download Alpha (Free) : https://fionnhodgson.itch.io/totalanarchy
Current Status: Beta - version 0.8b
Made Using: Game Maker Studio 1.4

Short description: The illegitimate lovechild of GTA & Hotline Miami.

It's the late '90s. Pavilion City is consumed by corruption and violence. There are three warring factions trying to take control. The anarchic hooligans, the devious guerrillas and the far-right legion.

Everybody seems to want you dead.

With your friends lost in the chaos, it's now up to you to stay safe, make quick money and claim the city for yourself - using whatever means you feel are necessary.

Features available in this version:

- 80 unique vehicles
- 26 different weapons
- 2 hours of exclusive in-game radio
- massive 3D city to explore
-dozens of interior levels including shops, clubs & train stations
- destructible scenery & many interactive objects
- rich 3D sound inc. Doppler effects
-branching dialogue for NPCs & story missions
- you can earn/steal money to buy new cars & weapons
- 60fps and widescreen ready (with other video modes available)
- cheat codes!
- no ads or micro-transactions, just play & enjoy!

I am also auditioning potential voice actors for the next generation of in-game radio! If you are interested, please send me a sample recording of your work.

Last edited:

Distronaut

DMA Design used a pseudo-3D perspective technique for the GTA1 cities. IRCC all the buildings were boxes or walls. GTA2 built on this further and allowed for polygonal models & lighting (at least in the PC version.) For this game, using GM: Studio 1, I'm using plain old d3d drawing functions; all of the buildings in my game are primitive cubes and cylinders stacked on top of each other.

Toque

DMA Design used a pseudo-3D perspective technique for the GTA1 cities. IRCC all the buildings were boxes or walls. GTA2 built on this further and allowed for polygonal models & lighting (at least in the PC version.) For this game, using GM: Studio 1, I'm using plain old d3d drawing functions; all of the buildings in my game are primitive cubes and cylinders stacked on top of each other.
looks great

JeffJ

Played around with it for about an hour. Overall, it's very fun to move around and explore, and I really enjoy the grotesque humor. Right up my alley! It definitely has my interest; the small weird conversations and easter-egg feeling things you can discover around the city, plus the various interiors makes you actually want to explore, which is really good. The radio station and the branching dialogue seals the deal for me.

Some notes/feedback:

1: The absolute worst part is the car handling. They're incredibly sensitive and they all turn as if the sprite origin is in the car's trunk. It's too difficult to gain any sort of precision. The tractor was actually my favorite to handle. :p

2: It can be hard to distinguish between what you can pick up and what's just random crap. For example, I didn't really see any visual cues indicating that I could pick up the bricks. Make collectibles flash or something like that.

3: When you equip something new (go from fist to pistol for example) the text showing what you now have equipped disappears way too soon.

4: Cops are extremely OP! They basically touch you once and you're SOL. In the old GTA you at least had a little more of a fighting chance.

5: From what little I played, it doesn't really seem like there's any differences at all based on your dialogue choices. I love games with branching dialogue, but if they do no difference at all, there's not much reason to have them. Please consider exploring making the most of this system!

6: While it's fun and interesting to stop and "listen" to the conversations between NPCs, it makes it a little hard to keep your patience with how slooow the text above their heads progress.

But now I'm being nitpicky. I'm genuinely interested to see how this game will end up, especially if you put more weight on the branching dialogue system and make actual different "quest" outcomes based on the player's choices - then this could very easily become one of my personal little gems.

Also, completely unrelated:
My best friend and I have loved your music for years. "Volume One" still gets put on frequently to this day.

Distronaut

Some notes/feedback:

1: The absolute worst part is the car handling. They're incredibly sensitive and they all turn as if the sprite origin is in the car's trunk. It's too difficult to gain any sort of precision. The tractor was actually my favorite to handle. :p

2: It can be hard to distinguish between what you can pick up and what's just random crap. For example, I didn't really see any visual cues indicating that I could pick up the bricks. Make collectibles flash or something like that.

3: When you equip something new (go from fist to pistol for example) the text showing what you now have equipped disappears way too soon.

4: Cops are extremely OP! They basically touch you once and you're SOL. In the old GTA you at least had a little more of a fighting chance.

5: From what little I played, it doesn't really seem like there's any differences at all based on your dialogue choices. I love games with branching dialogue, but if they do no difference at all, there's not much reason to have them. Please consider exploring making the most of this system!

6: While it's fun and interesting to stop and "listen" to the conversations between NPCs, it makes it a little hard to keep your patience with how slooow the text above their heads progress.

Also, completely unrelated:
My best friend and I have loved your music for years. "Volume One" still gets put on frequently to this day.
JeffJ - thank you for the excellent feedback, really glad you're having fun discovering all the various stuff I've hidden around the map!

To address your points:

1. I'm working on tightening the overall feel of the car handling. It seems tricky to please everyone with this, as some people are saying it's too sensitive and others are complaining of understeer.

2. Yes, there is still work to be done with how pickups work - and the stuff you take from NPCs will eventually be available to trade for other items or upgrades. I think I will make the brick/rock collectibles shimmer or flash or something to that effect.

3. Do you mean when you scroll through existing weapons or when you pick up a new weapon? Do you think extending the time for the 'weapon name' text to fade by a about 2 seconds would do the trick?

4. Haha, yes I agree the police are a bit intense right now. I think this is because earlier on in development the AI was TERRIBLE so I compensated by making the player quite fragile against them. As the AI path-finding has been improved, now it's probably too far in the other direction... I'm either going to give the player more HP, or make upgrades to HP/armour more accessible.

5. I totally agree that there should be more consequences to dialogue options. I'm still figuring out the most effective and interesting ways of doing this. I'm thinking about NPCs giving different choices of reward for completing missions, or increasing/decreasing difficulty of various mission aspects depending on the dialogue choice.

6. Agreed and noted to get changed for next update - as I want to include many more 'chatting' NPCs.

Also, I'm so happy people out there still listen to those old tunes from "Volume One" etc. I made those songs when I was 16 and never once thought they'd actually have the longevity they've had!

I'm hoping to get a new update for this game out in the next 4-6 weeks :)

JeffJ

To address your points:

3. Do you mean when you scroll through existing weapons or when you pick up a new weapon? Do you think extending the time for the 'weapon name' text to fade by a about 2 seconds would do the trick?

5. I totally agree that there should be more consequences to dialogue options. I'm still figuring out the most effective and interesting ways of doing this. I'm thinking about NPCs giving different choices of reward for completing missions, or increasing/decreasing difficulty of various mission aspects depending on the dialogue choice.

6. Agreed and noted to get changed for next update - as I want to include many more 'chatting' NPCs.
3: Yes, when you scroll from one weapon to another. 2 more seconds would definitely help! Let it "stay" for a little while, at least a full second or two. Right now it doesn't seem to even have an "idle" state - it's as if it disappears while still "animating", if that makes sense. Problem is you can barely read what it says, so often I found myself having to scroll one more weapon and then scroll back to the previous one just to have another read.

5: Have you played GTA IV? In it, there are several decisions througout the game. It doesn't have a dialogue system, so it's choices are more akin to "kill this guy or let him live". But it affects the story later on in various ways. I'm not suggesting you should totally alter the scope of your game to have a big dynamic and responsive storyline with multiple endings - but consider if you can, without much extra work, throw in a few things along the storyline that will be at least somewhat different based on a few important choices. Beyond that, your ideas are also good on the "smaller" scope. I really like the idea of having to choose between different rewards! Just make sure that the choice is actually hard and the player feels like he wants all of the stuff so as to really make him sit there for a while and think it over! ;)

Also, two more thoughts:

1: At first I wasn't fast enough to read all of my text message, so I completely forgot it said to meet the NPC at the specific building. I don't know if it's already in the game and I just missed it, but if not, you should really include an overview of the currently available missions or just a simple text message log so you can go back and read it. Alternatively, like in the more recent GTA games, you could have pointers on the radar leading to the various available missions. Something like that at least, because as it is, it seems easy to get stuck if you miss a text.

2: When you stand on the arrow that points into a building, when it says "E To Enter", consider having the name of the building there as well. I know that the name is on the building itself, but because of the perspective, you have to wander off a bit to get the full wall into view, and even then you're often reading upside down. This would be a very nice little quality of life feature, so it would say something like "E To Enter 'Naked Bishop' ".

I'm hoping to get a new update for this game out in the next 4-6 weeks :)
Can't wait to try it out! I've made sure to watch this thread, and I'll be looking forward to see the game progress!

Distronaut

Hello GMC Community - it's been a long time!

I thought I'd better let you know I've finally made an updated version available for Total Anarchy :D

Key changes:
- FIXED: Resolved crackling issues with ambient sounds
- FIXED: Resolved issues with weapon fire rates
- FIXED: All fatal errors reported since last release have been patched
- ADDED: Contract killing missions
- ADDED: Vehicle retrieval missions
- ADDED: 2 new gangs, allowing for the 3 rival factions to battle each other around the map
- ADDED: Notifications for police & gang wanted levels
- ADDED: New interiors with trading activities
- ADDED: New map items, buildings, more detail around the city etc.
- ADDED: You can now purchase businesses to generate more money.
- ADDED: You can now purchase vehicle mods including explosives and bulletproofing.
- ADDED: More options available in menu including full screen mode and sound volume settings.
- CHANGED: New player movement animations.
- CHANGED: Vehicle handling has been improved upon.
- CHANGED: GUI has been refined.
- There is a lot more to see and do around Pavilion City, find out for yourself!

I really hope you all continue to enjoy the game.

Please leave questions and feedback in the comments. It'd be great to hear what you think.

Grab the latest version for free here - https://fionnhodgson.itch.io/totalanarchy

Coxy ofNewp

I know this is a long running thread, but I just got the game yesterday and The Dev has put allot of hard work into this and I have to say loving the game and for the carazy price - If you like anything like GTA or c- this is well worth the few £ !! I remember back in 2009 when I first seen this and thought no a gta clone, but it not - it got so much more going for it.. check it out guys..