• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Discussion Can't Login to GameMaker Studio 2....

M

Moonvalk

I am experiencing the same error on a Windows 7 machine. Is there any current workaround besides a VPN? I'm really frustrated because this is really the only time I have all week to get some serious work in my engine.

C

CyberDragonGames

I am experiencing the same error on a Windows 7 machine. Is there any current workaround besides a VPN? I'm really frustrated because this is really the only time I have all week to get some serious work in my engine.
At this moment until we see some sort of patch or info from yoyo. The VPN solution is the only thing that seems to be working for somepeople

LunaticEdit

I set the vpn to san francisco and it worked for me.
Also make sure your ip4 dns is set to 8.8.8.8 , 8.8.4.4 which is the google dns servers.
Again, DNS isn't the issue. I use those and get the problem. I used 2 other sets of DNS servers and still got the same problem. It's resolving the IP address just fine, it's the CDN that's screwing up routing.

M

Moonvalk

Again, DNS isn't the issue. I use those and get the problem. I used 2 other sets of DNS servers and still got the same problem. It's resolving the IP address just fine, it's the CDN that's screwing up routing.
So basically, it won't be resolved/I will not be working on my project until YYG does something to fix this? :(

T

Theblightsun

Hmm....had to create another acvount just to post in forums? Shady....

The only time I enjoyed gamemaker was a year ago running a free version. Once I learned a bit about it, I bought a legit license.....and all my problems started. As soon as it updated I noticed that when I tried to do anythinh(create sprite, write script, click a menu) the app would freeze for 45 seconds to a minute, then resume until I click again or type a letter...then another 45 second freeze.

Yesterday made a purchase in the market, cant doenload it but have ootion to buy again....what a crock.....And now the app just says no internet connection, so I can' even log in and work with the constant freezing. Tech ticket worth nothing. No response, no feedback no nothin. Geels like another internet scam. This is fate I think because I was considering upgrading my license. Now it' time to consider a better app.

LunaticEdit

Oh after a little more digging, things get even better.

wtf.png

The silence makes MUCH more sense now. Don't expect a reply until sometime Monday afternoon on any of this.

Oh after a little more digging, things get even better.

View attachment 18809

The silence makes MUCH more sense now. Don't expect a reply until sometime Monday afternoon on any of this.
Not to be funny or anything but I’m not sure how this relates to the servers being down? As far as I know YoYo’s been owned by Playtech for the past few years. I hope we hear something soon though regardless, I’m sure they’re working on something, I’d just like them to tell us that they’re doing something about it.

S

Sam (Deleted User)

I would NOT suggest using Unity for 2D. Unity tacked on 2D support and it is quite terrible IMO.
He may not necessarily be implying he would use it for 2D. But from what I hear there is nothing bad about Unity's 2D, unless you happen to be talking to a biased GameMaker worshipper. Let's face It, GameMaker is a broken mess. They don't have enough staff to maintain It, and they are biting off way more platforms than they can realistically chew. Unity "just works", at least from what I've heard, and while this may or may not be true, I do know it is not something that I could say about GameMaker. I'm working for someone who has been pressuring me to make the full switch to Unity, because he finds it to be a professional software, and he considers GameMaker Studio a piece of trash. While I like GameMaker, I will say it really should be as stable as 8.1 was, only then I would consider it a professional software.

LunaticEdit

He may not necessarily be implying he would use it for 2D. But from what I hear there is nothing bad about Unity's 2D, unless you happen to be talking to a biased GameMaker worshipper. Let's face It, GameMaker is a broken mess. They don't have enough staff to maintain It, and they are biting off way more platforms than they can realistically chew. Unity "just works", at least from what I've heard, and while this may or may not be true, I do know it is not something that I could say about GameMaker. I'm working for someone who has been pressuring me to make the full switch to Unity, because he finds it to be a professional software, and he considers GameMaker Studio a piece of trash. While I like GameMaker, I will say it really should be as stable as 8.1 was, only then I would consider it a professional software.
Honestly, I'd do a 2D game in pure C with LibSDL long before I use unity, it's actually easier that way (at least for my workflow). I tried using unity for 2d, but it had tons of off by one errors with texture mapping. They eventually created the tilemap which helps, but I still have a bad taste in my mouth about it - no to mention the fact it uses a much older version of C# (again, at least back when I used it).

I know over 20 programming languages, and can code for DX11 and OpenGL in C++ (or even C for OpenGL, DX pretty much requires C++ at a minimum), as well as use higher libraries such as LibSDL, OpenTK, SFML, LibGDX (on java), etc. I can use Visual Studio's solutions, CMake projects, or even autotools. So why do I still use game maker? Because I want to spend time making games, not game engines. Game maker affords me the ability to focus on the game development process itself, and allows exporting to multiple consoles and architectures, along with built in steam integration and, if I should want, DLC and in game purchases. Time is money, and the time it'd take me to replicate the features I need that game maker provides is worth WAY more than $100 - this is before you even get into the built-in map editor, sprite batching, audio groups, platform specific content groups, etc. Sure, you COULD do a 2D game in Unity - many have. But unity's workflow is built with 3d as a first class citizen, and that will, for the forseable future, be its primary target.

I don't see how he can say GameMaker a 'piece of trash'. If he's an elitist, he should use Unreal engine with C++ like the 'real men' do. Or even better, roller coaster tycoon (the original) was written basically by one guy in x86 assembler.

If they dropped their funky whiz-bang GUI style and use a traditional OS-based GUI, I think it'd go a long way in its stability and 'professional' feel - I myself use the light theme for this reason, it's not so childish.
GameMaker is just a tool. A guy made Undertale in it. SteamSpy lists Undertale at the 2,000,000-5,000,000 owner mark - so what is his definition of 'professional'?

Last edited:
I just managed to get in a second ago.
First two times I tried to log in, it actually paused a bit to try to connect to the internet, and gave me a different error:
"Exception - The underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error occurred on a send."
Third time let me in.

I'm not sure if I was just lucky with my timing or not, or if they've begun to fix the problem. Can anyone else confirm this?

J

J.K. Bartlebaugh

I know this is not the best option for everyone but I was able to downgrade to the previous build 2.1.3.273 and log in. When I launched GM2 I was prompted to download the latest build. To get around being forced to upgrade I disabled my network connection and then launched GM2. When prompted to log in I enabled the network and was able to get in.

Last edited by a moderator:
T

Theblightsun

I would NOT suggest using Unity for 2D. Unity tacked on 2D support and it is quite terrible IMO.
I sold myself short. I wouldn' use unity for 2d unless making a 3d game that runs on a 2d track(like subzero mythologies)
My choice to go with game maker was a long debated one. I dabbled in several platforms before forking out $. Gamemaker allows me to use my hand painted sprite creations with ease and the interface is super funny proof. I felt comfortable with GM based mostly on intimidation of other software like unreal. I' a real A/hole when it comes to parting with $ online so thus "no network connection " issue after having just parted with bread really tweaks my bacj biscuits. I was just anle to log onto the app but it says "user offline". My most recent market place purchases still are unavailable to me, have proof of purchase but site only gives me option to buy.(ikr?! Total bull skit) no reply from tech. I already started learning more about another platform since cover art is costing me 200$usd per pic and I'm already 1800 deep. Time is money lost unless that time is worked....and gm2 ain't workin no more. Shame. I really liked working in gm2....especially after all I've learned. Well, lesson learned. "Keep other options open " gm2 ran like crap ever since I paid.

T

Theblightsun

No idea, YYG has been dead silent about this. Luckily, I was able to sneak into the tech support office and snap a picture of the current situation:

The image is a bit blurry, but from what I can tell, everything is fine and they are ok with this.
You found a way to make a really unpleasant situation totally laughable.......goddamn that took the edge off. Cheers.

M

Moonvalk

This seems to work for everyone I know personally:
  • Disable your internet.
  • Start GMS2 and wait until you get the login prompt.
  • Enable your internet.
Not a long term solution for paying customers to endure, but something fairly simple until it gets fixed and circumvents the need to roll back to a previous release or to use a VPN.
This works for about 5-10 seconds the two times I tried, but then the software immediately crashed. I wish I had other options than rolling the version back, but it seems like that is the only solution for the time being. Which it seems like could be a while, sadly.

P

Porkogougoul

• Disable your internet.
  • Enable your internet.
Not a long term solution for paying customers to endure, but something fairly simple until it gets fixed and circumvents the need to roll back to a previous release or to use a VPN.
Doesnt work for me, does anyone have a link to an older build so I can downgrade too ? Tried with 2.1.3.288 and it didnt work neither.

C

CoolFlow

What the hell is going on with GMS? The yoyogames website is down and been down for days. Can't use GMS cause I can't login (THIS IS WHY CONSTANT LICENSE CHECKS ARE BULLCRAP). And YoYoGames are completely silent. They might wanna speak up and let people know what's going on. Tried messaging them on Twitter and nothing.

C

CyberDragonGames

As stated before if your having issues logging in you can use a vpn to circumvent the login no connection issue

SophosMoros

YoYo....speak up. Something. Anything. At least acknowledge this *$&# show. I work a regular 9-5 during the week. I want to do what I want to do on the weekends with the time I have. I paid for the license to use a product. Let me use the product, and if you can't let me use it, you better at least acknowledge that something is screwed up and you are working to fix it. An ETA on it working again would be even better. Don't have crappy customer service.

S

Sam (Deleted User)

I'm wondering if they are too embarrassed to respond until it is fixed. Well, they did respond to my helpdesk ticket, and they gave me some instructions and wanted me to send them some info, so anyway I did that but I'm not convinced what I did helped anything.

B

BFT

Same issue here. Been trying to publish an update to my game for months to no avail, and now I can't even log in to the IDE. Weekends are pretty much the only time I can work on this stuff. Very unhappy after having paid in full last year for just about every permanent GMS2 license. I see people recommending Unity--do they have any of the same reliability issues with publication or accessing the IDE?

Posh Indie

That Guy
This works for about 5-10 seconds the two times I tried, but then the software immediately crashed. I wish I had other options than rolling the version back, but it seems like that is the only solution for the time being. Which it seems like could be a while, sadly.
The people I know personally that tried it did not have that issue and when they closed the application and opened it again were not prompted to log in anymore. Maybe try turning your internet back on right after you open GMS2 (Before the login screen even comes up). Maybe it is a timing thing.

If that does not work I will need to direct you to the other solutions, as I would be at a loss. I hope it gets sorted out for you. Sorry I could not be more help.

K

Kyle Scott

OSX can't connect - no firefall. From Seattle area. First time ever downloading the program.

J

Jason Holt

Just throwing my hat in the pile. I'm also having issues. Tried Steam version and stand-alone version. No dice. Someone suggested turning off internet, launching, and turning it back on. This worked for me. But seriously, YoYo, get your crap together. You can't sell an expensive piece of software with a crap login system and then just abandon everyone.

S

Sam (Deleted User)

• Disable your internet.
  • Enable your internet.
This fixed it for me.

A

Amy

Disabling the Internet before starting GMS2 and then turning it on before logging in worked for me as well. Even better, I exited the program and found that I didn't need to disable the Internet a second and third time I ran it. The only issue was something that was happening before. A blank white screen that delays the start of GMS2 for about 15 seconds or so. Turning the Internet off got rid of that the fourth time I ran it so it appears to be a networking issue.

I see people recommending Unity--do they have any of the same reliability issues with publication or accessing the IDE?
Unity (and every single game engine ever made) has its issues as well and you'll find someone complaining about it in the blog and forums there from time to time. Personally I like GMS2 a lot. But nothing's perfect. If one made games during the '80s and '90s, they'd see how good game programmers have it today. Compared to then, developers are spoiled with all the great choices out there. And GameMaker is one of those.

C

CyberDragonGames

Just throwing this out there when i originally was having issues. The stop internet then restart internet trick did not work for me. I had to spoof my ip with a vpn just to resolve the issue. But there is multiple solutions here so any of the solutions stated should resolve your issues. If it doesnt all you can do is wait for support to chime in.

Mick

Unity (and every single game engine ever made) has its issues as well and you'll find someone complaining about it in the blog and forums there from time to time. Personally I like GMS2 a lot. But nothing's perfect. If one made games during the '80s and '90s, they'd see how good game programmers have it today. Compared to then, developers are spoiled with all the great choices out there. And GameMaker is one of those.
All engines have their problems and that's ok, it's hard to make something like this bug-free, personally I also really like GMS. The whole login requirement though is something that causes problems for paying customers only (and users of the trial of course) and will make YoYo loose customers. It is entirely in their power to remove this annoyance. I mean even how convenient GMS is to use, it doesn't matter if you are locked out from it.

C

Cowlord

• Disable your internet.
  • Enable your internet.
This worked for me as well, thanks!

Bruchpilot

We've found the issue and are looking to fix ASAP.
In the long run it might still be a good idea to think about a less aggressive protection mechanism (even if that means a higher amount of illegal usage).
The login method had several blowbacks by now, and it grieves loyal customers.

C

CyberDragonGames

[URL]https://twitter.com/YYGSupport/status/1003593408756281345
We've found the issue and are looking to fix ASAP.
[/URL]

In the long run it might still be a good idea to think about a less aggressive protection mechanism (even if that means a higher amount of illegal usage).
The login method had several blowbacks by now, and it grieves loyal customers.
Well yeah. It ruins productivity when issues like this arise. My only solution was to drop a little money for a VPN and circumvent the issue. But their a lot of people out there that don't have the money to spare that can do that. And you can only understand how upset they were. This issue did not just start over the weekend. There have been cases where people have been waiting weeks for assistance. With a similar issue. Do you think a delayed response is necessary in this situation? I think not I would only hope yall offer a temporary unlock so people can demo more premium features for the troubles. Sent a ticket in got a response back to send in error log. Did that and no response back until the post on the forum today. That leaves a sour taste and scares customers away when no one hears updates on the issues.

Im done just talking reason :)

J

Jak

I am having the same issue actoss two seperate systems bith mac and windows.

C

CyberDragonGames

read through this thread we have several different workarounds that different users have found to work.

H

Hurg

Having the same problem with my 26 student accounts. Thankfully, my teenage students are fully accepting of these technical delays and are completely well behaved... yeah right.

Yoyo, you need to fix this 💩💩💩💩 show ffs.

Never complain that the education sector is slow to embrace new software like GM2 again! this has been the biggest 💩💩💩💩ing headache ever.

C

CytricAcid

• Disable your internet.
  • Enable your internet.
this didnt work for me. this is really unacceptable, honestly. i guess it gives me more time to work on my pixel art for my upcoming game, but i'd REALLY like to get some coding in.

H

HeroOfTheDay

For those who still can't login, try to use your phone's data and see if you can go to the yoyogames website. If you can, open your wifi tethering and connect your PC to the tethered wifi and open GMS.

S

stuvik

I just bought GMS2 today..
I had several errors logging into GMS2 (Steam install) with errors like "invalid ticket" and "no network connection". I managed to login to GMS2 by:
- making sure the firewall allowed GMS2 through
- my anti-virus has an exception for GMS2. I have Avast AV as my AV provider so I had to open its control panel and add GMS2 as a game (with game mode on)

A little annoying but got through it.

Regards

P.S. If you don't want to use 8.8.8.8 for your DNS there's also 1.1.1.1 which seems to be pretty good!

J

JerHenning

• Disable your internet.
  • Enable your internet.
This fix is not working for me, will have to wait for an update from YoYo I suppose.

H

HeroOfTheDay

Another fix I've tried and worked is quite similar to Stuvik's fix. Change the dns of your adapter to 8.8.8.8 and set the alternate dns to 1.1.1.1, then I also disabled ipv6.