What to do when my question gets completely ignored?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fixer90

I submitted a question to the programming forums and it simply faded away with no replies. What should I do?

YellowAfterlife

ᴏɴʟɪɴᴇ ᴍᴜʟᴛɪᴘʟᴀʏᴇʀ
Forum Staff
If it's of the comment question, you should
A Have more patience than waiting for two hours before posting a "how come no one responded" topic on a Friday night.
B Submit questions about the IDE functionality to GMS2 support section instead of Programming section next time to have chances of it being answered by someone from YoYo if it's a bug.

Fixer90

If it's of the comment question, you should
A Have more patience than waiting for two hours before posting a "how come no one responded" topic on a Friday night.
B Submit questions about the IDE functionality to GMS2 support section instead of Programming section next time to have chances of it being answered by someone from YoYo if it's a bug.
I was asking for future reference, since when it doesn't get responded to in >2 hours it usually goes unanswered for a very long time. Also "IDE Functionality"? If we're thinking of the same topic, I'm pretty sure it was programming. I just wanted to know - again for future reference - what to do when it becomes a ghost.

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
I was asking for future reference, since when it doesn't get responded to in >2 hours it usually goes unanswered for a very long time. Also "IDE Functionality"? If we're thinking of the same topic, I'm pretty sure it was programming. I just wanted to know - again for future reference - what to do when it becomes a ghost.
If you want to talk future reference, here are your takeaways:
  1. Patience is a virtue. 2 hours is an unbecoming amount to whine about in a place where the house rule is 48 hours.
  2. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. Expertise in your own head will come at your beck and call, and if you put in the effort to exercise it, it will get you out of most scrapes in less than 2 hours. The damsel has to wait for the knight, the knight doesn't have to wait for his sword.
  3. Know when to hold 'em and when to fold 'em. An extra space in AutoComplete is nothing to hold up your progress for, just let the devs know and check back at a later date. It's not like IDE fixes could come on a 2-hour notice. If you self-prescribe crutches, call them "OCD" and "autism" and then walk in them, then you deserve having things taking longer and drawing more aggravation for you than it should.
  4. Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. Jiggle some of your code. Restart the IDE. Isolate code in a blank new project and check for problems there. Move up or down a version. Given what I've seen from you, you are far from having exhausted your options.

Fixer90

If you want to talk future reference, here are your takeaways:
  1. Patience is a virtue. 2 hours is an unbecoming amount to whine about in a place where the house rule is 48 hours.
  2. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. Expertise in your own head will come at your beck and call, and if you put in the effort to exercise it, it will get you out of most scrapes in less than 2 hours. The damsel has to wait for the knight, the knight doesn't have to wait for his sword.
  3. Know when to hold 'em and when to fold 'em. An extra space in AutoComplete is nothing to hold up your progress for, just let the devs know and check back at a later date. It's not like IDE fixes could come on a 2-hour notice. If you self-prescribe crutches, call them "OCD" and "autism" and then walk in them, then you deserve having things taking longer and drawing more aggravation for you than it should.
  4. Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. Jiggle some of your code. Restart the IDE. Isolate code in a blank new project and check for problems there. Move up or down a version. Given what I've seen from you, you are far from having exhausted your options.
Seriously? Look, I'm not trying to say I don't appreciate your reply, nor am I trying to have this go on further than it needs to, but I think I need to ask a different question - or rather the same question but in a way where you will understand my intentions: What do I do when I ask a question, and it goes unanswered for >2 days, or a week, or even a month? I understand that I was very impatient in that I implied my topic about comments in GM2, and I'm sorry. But I really do want to know what to do in the case that it goes ghost, like That one that has been unanswered since February.

So please, just tell me what I should do in that case; just ignore the one I asked about comments.

The-any-Key

That one that has been unanswered since February
I checked it and I think I found the problem.

The question or may I say the 4 questions is a little diffuse. Try this;
  1. Check the manual first, this answer your question already, in a way.
  2. Try to only ask one question and then elaborate depending on the answer.
  3. Use an example in the question: I want to make sure to play my background music even if the resources on the device is limited, what priority should I use?
To answer the 3# I would say: play the background music with priority 100 and other less important sounds at 50.

Bruchpilot

So please, just tell me what I should do in that case; just ignore the one I asked about comments.
Since these forums are basically the community tavern, things may go down the drain or be buried beneath other stuff.
If you are in a tight spot and you need an answer (for example: when something really doesn't work and you need to ship your game) you go to the official helpdesk for help.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
If your topic has not had an answer in 48 hours (approx) you can bump the topic. You can also bump the topic sooner, but ONLY if you have extra information to add or have made progress with the issue yourself. Other than that, have patience and go help other people while you're waiting... what goes around, comes around! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.