• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

UWP Xbox Live Creators Program - Leaderboard

A

appymedia

Hi Folks,

Just looking through the GMS2 manual and UWP Xbox Live integration for an upcoming project. I'd like to implement leaderboards as the creators program supports them.

Scanning the manual I see the built-in leaderboard commands but they seen mobile focused with no mention of the XB etc.

In the XB specific section of the GML reference I can see the XB sign in, gamertag commands etc but not much more info there?

Did a few searches in the manual and forums but can't see anything to help or maybe I'm missing something. Anybody know how I can go about implementing them on UWP XB?

Cheers! :)

A

appymedia

Found my answer after some digging.....

https://help.yoyogames.com/hc/en-us...Adding-Xbox-Live-Support-To-Your-UWP-Projects

Some way down the page.....

'Once you have this object in your game, you have met the minimum requirements for a UWP app to pass through the Creators Program certification. Note that if you want further functionality, like cloud saving or leaderboards, then you will need an ID@Xbox account as well as the additional Xbox extension for GameMaker Studio 2 (which requires the Console Licence).'

Bit disappointed with that to be honest, no technical reason I can see to not allow it, Microsoft allow the leaderboards with the Creators Program etc, some other things like player stats as well. Details here...

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/uwp/xbox-live/developer-program-overview#feature-table

Does anyone know if MS permit you to use 3rd partytype leaderboards if I roll my own?

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
The functionality you seek is actually available within the UWP platform and the comment on that page is no longer valid (and I'll remove it now). If you type "xboxlive" into the code editor you can get to see the functions that are available. and the documentation will all be updated in the next update for the IDE.

A

appymedia

Ahhhh, awesome, simple as trying autocomplete! I always go to the manual first, in this case not the right way round ;) Yes, would love some docs, a lot of functions that I'm unsure on how to use. Is it dangerous to ask when the next IDE update might be coming ?!

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Ahhhh, awesome, simple as trying autocomplete! I always go to the manual first, in this case not the right way round ;) Yes, would love some docs, a lot of functions that I'm unsure on how to use. Is it dangerous to ask when the next IDE update might be coming ?!
Sorry, I can't say for sure,... soon probably. If there is anything you specifically want to ask about, feel free to post it here and I'll do my best to answer. :)

J

JohnnyOstad

I'm an ID@Xbox dev and Microsoft has stated that we can use UWPs too even outside the Creators Program and on the Main Store, Will these functions (specially the Xbox Achievements) be available to us too?

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
I'm an ID@Xbox dev and Microsoft has stated that we can use UWPs too even outside the Creators Program and on the Main Store, Will these functions (specially the Xbox Achievements) be available to us too?
Yes, they are actually currently available! It's just the documentation that needs to be updated, but if your are an ID@Xbox dev, you can request access to the XBox docs on the helpdesk, which are almost exactly the same as those for UWP. It's the same api calls, just that for UWP the functions start with "xboxlive" and not "xboxone".

J

JohnnyOstad

Thank you for the answer.
I E-mailed you some other questions that I can't ask here.

A

appymedia

The elusive docs :) Looking forward to the next update and learning how to use it all. Good work as always.

A

appymedia

Hi @Nocturne Was excited to see a GMS2 IDE & runner update but can't seem to find the docs we discussed above? Am I missing them somewhere?

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Hi @Nocturne Was excited to see a GMS2 IDE & runner update but can't seem to find the docs we discussed above? Am I missing them somewhere?
Yeah, sorry, there's going to be a bit of a delay on that... It appears that some features I've been documenting aren't actually going to be available (like voice chat, for example) and there are some things that will be available that aren't documented (like UWP live tiles). This is one of those rare times where there's been an error in communication between myself and the actual devs, unfortunately. I would hope that the next update will have the updates...

Sorry for any inconvenience... :(

rIKmAN

Yeah, sorry, there's going to be a bit of a delay on that... It appears that some features I've been documenting aren't actually going to be available (like voice chat, for example) and there are some things that will be available that aren't documented (like UWP live tiles). This is one of those rare times where there's been an error in communication between myself and the actual devs, unfortunately. I would hope that the next update will have the updates...

Sorry for any inconvenience... :(
I asked this in another thread a while ago and didn't get an answer, but why don't you keep the online docs up to date and then bundle the latest "snapshot" of the them with each update of GMS2?

It's a bit odd that the docs are available online but we have to wait months between releases for them to be updated - surely it'd be much easier for everyone if the online docs were always updated (or at least on a much more regular schedule) and then the bundled docs brought into line with them with every update release.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Online docs should be updated with every new IDE release, and usually are. This case is an exception because there have been complications and a misunderstanding along the way (it happens sometimes!), meaning that the UWP docs are slightly behind the current IDE/runner. Like I said, I'm sorry for the inconvenience.

rIKmAN

Online docs should be updated with every new IDE release, and usually are. This case is an exception because there have been complications and a misunderstanding along the way (it happens sometimes!), meaning that the UWP docs are slightly behind the current IDE/runner. Like I said, I'm sorry for the inconvenience.
No apology needed, you do a good job as the only person working on them - I'm just trying to get my head around why the online docs are only updated with each new update release, which are usually months apart.

I've submitted documentation bugs before and you've emailed me saying it's fixed and will be in the next IDE update - which comes months later.

Surely it'd be better for everyone if you updated the online docs and the changes went live when you did them (or on more regular schedule than updates) rather than users having to wait months for them to change?

As I said it seems odd that a typo, incorrect example or in this case missing functions in the online docs has to lay around idle for months before we see it in the docs when you could just edit the online docs and have them go live for everyone much sooner, and then snapshot the online docs to be bundled with each update release when it arrives.

Obviously I don't know how or why it's like this, it just seems like an inefficient way to do things for all involved, and kinda defeats the object of "online" docs, which should always be the latest available due to how easy they are to edit, update and roll out.

A

appymedia

Hi @Nocturne, Thanks for your reply and hard work, it is very much appreciated. However, I do agree with @rIKmAN re the docs and delays we currently experience. Is there a way to share 'upcoming' docs online so we can access the bleeding edge with regards to docs? Either that or a more regular release schedule for GMS2? (I imagine the latter will be a lot more difficult to put into practise :) ).

J

JohnnyOstad

Sorry for bumping but...
How to I check if an xboxlive achievement has been obtained or not, the only code i see is the one that SETs the achievement not one for GET.

bshadow8

Hello everyone I hope this post helps out anyone. I've been using the XBOX Live Gamertag functionality but the weirdest thing happens, in the sandbox and on my bothers profile the gamertag name appears as coded, but throughout anywhere else it does not, this is the code I use to retrieve it...

if
os_xboxone = 1 && !xboxlive_user_is_signed_in()
{
if !xboxlive_user_is_signing_in()
{
xboxlive_show_account_picker();
}
}
else
{
global.Gamer = xboxlive_gamertag_for_user();
}

and this is what I use to draw it...
draw_text(380, 62, string("Gamer Tag: ") + string(global.Gamer));

The room is 760 px wide and 600 px tall...

now why would it show up under my sandbox and on my bros account but not anywhere else...it just doesn't make any sense, it's not coded special in any way as you can see...anyone?

P

psyke

Sorry for reviving this thread, but did you managed to get the UWP leaderboards working??
I tried everything, but the Asynchronous event are not being triggered, I did get the Achievements working fine, so it's not a problem on the Dev Portal, but when I use xboxlive_stats_get_leaderboard or xboxlive_stats_get_social_leaderboard, it doesn't trigger any async events (I've already tried using the Social & System async events), making it impossible to download the scores.

The documentation on UWP module also doesn't help, lots of functions doesn't have a page on the doc file, and there is no error when I use the xboxlive_stats_get_leaderboard functions.

Any clues? =(

Hello people. I'm in 2021 and I still can't implement the scoreboard in UWP live creators. My games on the xbox don't have any interesting interactions and I've been waiting for this for a long time. @Nocturne Can you help me? I already opened two tickets in December 13, 2020 09:12 at yoyo and never got a response. Ticket #178465.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Hello people. I'm in 2021 and I still can't implement the scoreboard in UWP live creators. My games on the xbox don't have any interesting interactions and I've been waiting for this for a long time. @Nocturne Can you help me? I already opened two tickets in December 13, 2020 09:12 at yoyo and never got a response. Ticket #178465.
Hello! Okay, you should REALLY make a new topic for this, and link to this topic if you want... it'd be great to get a new topic with all the details of what you have done specifically, rather than hijack someone else's topic from years ago. I should also say that I haven't used UWP for a long time, so I doubt I'll be much help with this... so, make a new topic, outline the details of the issue, as well as what you have currently, and hopefully someone who's currently using the platform can chip in and help you out. :)

Apparently nobody uses the UWP module to export to xbox or there is not enough support for this module. I created a specific topic to try to get help to make my title minimally acceptable with a cloud save, but I definitely can't get any help. I opened 4 tickets with YOYO and they always tell me that they will analyze it, but I never get a response, nor a minimum support. I've been reading the documentation from microsoft and yes, for the Creators program it is possible to use some resources such as Leaderboards and Cloud Storage. Unfortunately, following this path has been arduous and of little evolution. I have 8 titles created and officially released on Xbox, all with more than 1000 downloads in a short time, but they are simple and with few resources. YOYO's documentation for the UWP module is a bit confusing and provides excerpts from examples that are not very supportive.

@Nocturne I beg for your help with the internal team, ticket # 181498. All others have been closed and included in this.