Graphics How Can I Improve This Art

mar_cuz

Hi Guys,

Currently making a sports game and trying to do the art myself.
Just needing any advice on how I could improve this art and animation.

Here are the images in normal size and scaled up.
animation.gif
animation2.gif

what do you guys think?

JackTurbo

Hey man, first off your sprite looks pretty good as it is. Really I only have a couple of suggestion that I think would help take it up a notch.
  • consider making the rear arm and leg a different shade from the fore most arm/leg; a little darker, a little less saturated and maybe shift the hue a little cooler. This will help give a greater sense of depth
  • between frames 10 and 11 the legs switch. The front leg becomes the back leg and vice versa.
  • When the front foot goes down it also goes forward too much. Consider bringing the foot further forward on the previous frame so this movement feels more downwards.
  • adding some subtle movement to the hair could also sell the motion more.
Hope that helps and great job so far :)

mar_cuz

Hey man, first off your sprite looks pretty good as it is. Really I only have a couple of suggestion that I think would help take it up a notch.
  • consider making the rear arm and leg a different shade from the fore most arm/leg; a little darker, a little less saturated and maybe shift the hue a little cooler. This will help give a greater sense of depth
  • between frames 10 and 11 the legs switch. The front leg becomes the back leg and vice versa.
  • When the front foot goes down it also goes forward too much. Consider bringing the foot further forward on the previous frame so this movement feels more downwards.
  • adding some subtle movement to the hair could also sell the motion more.
Hope that helps and great job so far :)
Hey thanks for your input I will definitely take on board your suggestions. The frames where the legs switch is me being lazy as usual. I will fix that eventually haha

Nux

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
This is more so advice for your style: from experience any sort of noisy character with lots of shading or detail is going to be very time consuming and tedious to animate. because not only do you have to preserve the anatomy of the character, but also the shading.

mar_cuz

This is more so advice for your style: from experience any sort of noisy character with lots of shading or detail is going to be very time consuming and tedious to animate. because not only do you have to preserve the anatomy of the character, but also the shading.
Thanks for the tip

T

Timze

It's pretty good already but if you're looking for some minor improvements, you could angle the upper body + head forward just a little to add to the forward running motion.

mar_cuz

Made some adjustments. added some new uniform and highlights on the skin and added a cooler shade to the darker body parts.
run_right_shaded2.gif

run_right_shaded2L.gif

sylvain_l

its good.
yersterday I couldn't pinpoint the detail that was making me feel strange... Today it pop out: the thing that bother me is that head turn effect.
If running with a goal/focus. the head direction barely move. For me, you balance the head if more unfocus/worn (I know it's only a pixel thing on your anim, but it make like is gigling is head way too much). It's the shoulder that have that huge balancing effect.

mar_cuz

its good.
yersterday I couldn't pinpoint the detail that was making me feel strange... Today it pop out: the thing that bother me is that head turn effect.
If running with a goal/focus. the head direction barely move. For me, you balance the head if more unfocus/worn (I know it's only a pixel thing on your anim, but it make like is gigling is head way too much). It's the shoulder that have that huge balancing effect.

Hey thanks thats great insight. I'll definitely remove the the head movement