Android The future of apps on Android and Google Play: modular, instant, and dynamic (Google I/O '18)

H

HW.

In case YoYo team and you, GMS users especially who own mobile module (Android) don't watch it yet, the video could give some feedbacks for YoYo team to improve the GMS2 Mobile Android module and for us to understand the latest news about Android game design, development and publishing to anticipate in the future.

About new Android App bundle, Instant Apps, the importance about small size .apk for our games, and many more. The middle part of the video to end also discussed specifically about Instant Games on Google Play that our Android games can implement (there is also a video of the look like of Instant games implementation from top devs).

You can discuss about it and leave a comment below (related to GMS2 Mobile module we use).

Genetix

I've been following these announcements also and been wondering how well GMS2 will be able to keep up and integrate with them, some of it seems to be on the Google Play side but definitely worth looking into. One thing I've been wondering is if Google's algorithms gives preference to apps that use these newer features.

H

HW.

I've been following these announcements also and been wondering how well GMS2 will be able to keep up and integrate with them, some of it seems to be on the Google Play side but definitely worth looking into. One thing I've been wondering is if Google's algorithms gives preference to apps that use these newer features.
From what i read from the Play guidelines and also on that video, if our .apk games have more crashes/errors , not a surprise if we will get more 1star reviews / uninstalls from our players, and it seems the Google's algorithms gives preference to apps/games that runs smoother with fewer crashes/errors vs one that has tons of crashes, and also i think the acquisition thing matters too.

What i am talking about crashes/errors here, if our GML codes are already well written, if i can relate to how our .apk produced from GMS2 Mobile, i can mention about "lint errors". Yeah, in some cases, a "lint error" can happen because of our game codes, but as we all know many "lint errors" are related to the java codes that are in the GMS2's runner that is under control of YYG team to fix them. You can try to create some .apk from a blank project of just one or two simple sprites and objects without extensions, and you will see several "lint errors". Some are just "warning", but not few are "errors", related to codes on runner (YoYo side). This one for example produces many lint errors (54 problems) on the runner side.

I hope newer version of GMS2 Mobile runner can fix many errors reported by lint, not just tell us to ignore (disable lint)/hide them (which is related to the obsolete implementation of some old codes on the "runner" side) so that we can have a cleaner .apk for our game players.

Last edited by a moderator:
K

Kios

I think modular is perhaps the one feature gms doesn't have. Defold has liveupdate, Unity Asset Bundles.