Castlevania Fan Game

RangerX

This is art taken from Gameboy Advance Castlevania games.
Anyhow, a Castlevania game or same style is always welcome. If you want to go anywhere with it someday I hope you plan on making your own graphics.

NimNom1234

This is art taken from Gameboy Advance Castlevania games.
Anyhow, a Castlevania game or same style is always welcome. If you want to go anywhere with it someday I hope you plan on making your own graphics.
I do want to make my own graphics, and I've been practicing pixel art, but I'm just making this fan game to complete the engine in the mean time :)

D

drowned

Looks like a good start. I notice that Soma sort of moonwalks a little bit right around the 10 second mark after landing from a jump.

Movement doesn't seem as smooth as the actual game. All the post-SotN Castlevania characters have had other worldly, gliding walk cycles. Yours looks more like he's actually walking, so it feels off, hahah.

NimNom1234

Oh boy, your animations do not look smooth at all. A quick tip, try looking at the feet when lining up the sprites. What I might do is line the attacking sprites up by the back foot.
When I said that I mostly meant I added a sword sprite to make it look smoother :/
I see what you mean tho

NimNom1234

Also, I've been practicing my sprite art to hopefully make this game into my own thing eventually. I've made my own style of the zombie sprite, but TBH I think it looks pretty bad :/
Please give me pointers on this sort of thing

Uh
I think the image links are broken

Hyomoto

@NimNom1234 - The links aren't broken, you are just using them wrong. First you need to get the direct link, which will include the filename, then you also have to use the right tags. You need to include a /IMG after the file. You can use the button in the toolbar for inserting a picture, but if you type them out the tags are:
Code:
[img]https://i.imgur.com/aoMeXLV.png[/img]
Combine these two results and, voila:

V

vanbear

I agree with @Siolfor the Jackal - the animations look off, it looks like the character makes a little backwards slide when attacking. It's a very important thing, but I don't think it's a highest priority, just make sure to adjust it eventually.
Still, it looks quite interesting so good luck with your project :) Cheers!

N

nlolotte

Good start, are you using state machines to control the character? I learnt that things got very messy once I added numerous different actions. It cost me a couple of days rebuilding (This was ages ago though). Here's a small video of my engine so far:

You need to improve the attack animations. One of the guys above mentioned looking at the feet for centralizing - that's perfect advice. Overall pretty good for 3 weeks in, keep at it!

N

nlolotte

@nlolotte - That looks quite good, clearly quite a bit of time spent on it. What would you say, about 3 weeks ;)?
If only! Probably been working on this on and off now for close to 2 years. Only recently has it all started to come together. Going from GMS 1.4 to 2.0 was a set back. Thank you, to hear that form someone who replicated 2 of my favorite games perfectly means a lot :)

NimNom1234

Good start, are you using state machines to control the character? I learnt that things got very messy once I added numerous different actions. It cost me a couple of days rebuilding (This was ages ago though). Here's a small video of my engine so far:

You need to improve the attack animations. One of the guys above mentioned looking at the feet for centralizing - that's perfect advice. Overall pretty good for 3 weeks in, keep at it!
Thanks!

NimNom1234

@NimNom1234 - The links aren't broken, you are just using them wrong. First you need to get the direct link, which will include the filename, then you also have to use the right tags. You need to include a /IMG after the file. You can use the button in the toolbar for inserting a picture, but if you type them out the tags are:
Code:
[img]https://i.imgur.com/aoMeXLV.png[/img]
Combine these two results and, voila:
Thank you!

D

Deleted member 16767

The invisible spawned attack sequence object is definately needed for a castlevania fan game. Because of the player characters sprite size that must have a bigger collision size. If you want to make an original game and go another approach, you can make the enemy have a determined interval in attacking you when collided with and change the damage attribute on different animation sequences. But you need a bigger game world for that.

NimNom1234

Also, I was thinking about putting in a Dark Souls style leveling system. Like needing to put certain things in strength or dexterity to use items properly.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

NimNom1234

I just had an idea about the DS weapon level system.
I've always hated having to distribute points from leveling up in RPG's, so I was wondering what you guys think about having certain weapons level up certain stats like in the Elder Scrolls games.

Thoughts?

Morendral

I just had an idea about the DS weapon level system.
I've always hated having to distribute points from leveling up in RPG's, so I was wondering what you guys think about having certain weapons level up certain stats like in the Elder Scrolls games.

Thoughts?
That's my preferred model. I never cared for that stat crunching nonsense of other RPGs. If I want to get more proficient with a sword, I'll swing the sword. Not distribute some arbitrary numbers between vague attributes.

Well done with the animation, it's all coming together nicely. I personally wouldn't make the hitboxes so large, but that's something to think about later. It's good progress you're making, I hope you keep it up.

pixeltroid

OP, do you have a special take on your castlevania fan game game?

Is it a remake of the existing castlevania or does it have a new twist to it? (example, it takes place in the 23rd century, the whip is made of plasma, Dracula is a cyborg clone, everything takes place on a dystopian earth ruled by vampires etc).

NimNom1234

OP, do you have a special take on your castlevania fan game game?

Is it a remake of the existing castlevania or does it have a new twist to it? (example, it takes place in the 23rd century, the whip is made of plasma, Dracula is a cyborg clone, everything takes place on a dystopian earth ruled by vampires etc).
Sorry late rep
My game is supposed to be in the style of SOTN and the like while being its own franchise. Kind of like the games Blasphemous and Bloodstained:Ritual of the Night :)

NimNom1234

Hey guys!
I don't think I'm gonna be able to upload a dev-log today, sorry!
I'm busy with pulling some things together for the game and I also have a theater rehearsal today :(

NimNom1234

Looking nice dude, I’m currently away from my pc but I’ll share my knockback code with you. You need to put a check in for when hit and set your horizontal speed to 0
I actually did have that somewhat implemented, but it was set up so when the zombie was passing you were just frozen until it was passed. This would also drain your health all the way down. I've been looking to make the freeze momentary and then add iframes, but I was having trouble. :)

N

nlolotte

Alarms are your friend. Make two variables like hurt and invincible. when colliding with the enemy set hurt to true and set an alarm to how long you want to be "stunned" for. then in the alarm set hurt to false, invincible to true and a second alarm to how long you want to be invincible for, finally in the second alarm event set invincible to false and stop the sprite form flashing or whatever hurt effects you applied..

NimNom1234

Alarms are your friend. Make two variables like hurt and invincible. when colliding with the enemy set hurt to true and set an alarm to how long you want to be "stunned" for. then in the alarm set hurt to false, invincible to true and a second alarm to how long you want to be invincible for, finally in the second alarm event set invincible to false and stop the sprite form flashing or whatever hurt effects you applied..
The thing is tho, I've been using alarms a lot and I'm afraid im gonna run out soon!

Just for later reference, is there a way to hardcode an alarm?

N

nlolotte

The thing is tho, I've been using alarms a lot and I'm afraid im gonna run out soon!

Just for later reference, is there a way to hardcode an alarm?
You could use your own counter as an alarm. in the create event you would make counter_1 = 0, in the step event make counter_1 ++ and then a check that if counter_1 = desired amount of frames { do actions}.

its kinda the opposite of an alarm in the sense it counts up not down but the same principle