Wow Ubuntu 18.04 LTS is fragile..

J

Jafman

Not having a good day lool First Ubuntu hangs at the desktop, then power button wants to sleep in a hung state instead of power off, then OBS install through the app portal hangs at 7%. Which is my lucky number no more.

This is only maybe my dozenth time using Ubuntu, but I can't help but ask: Are people using this? Like, is there an audience of gamers who prefer Ubuntu for gaming for one reason or another? Seems like there's quite a bit of work before the quirkiness is gone and it plays comparable to Windows or what not. Right now all of my game's audio is playing twice rapid fire and I have no clue why.

I'll stop venting now. Thanks all!

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
This is only maybe my dozenth time using Ubuntu, but I can't help but ask: Are people using this? Like, is there an audience of gamers who prefer Ubuntu for gaming for one reason or another? Seems like there's quite a bit of work before the quirkiness is gone and it plays comparable to Windows or what not. Right now all of my game's audio is playing twice rapid fire and I have no clue why.
There is BUT they are few and far between. My experience publishing to Steam is that 99% of all issues with my game come from 0.01% of users that have bought it for Ubuntu/Linux, and (tbh) I don't think I'll even consider supporting it in future releases. It just doesn't seem worth the hassle...

Coded Games

Welcome to the wonderful world of Linux. I used Ubuntu as my primary OS for about a year and it definitely takes a fair amount of tweaking to get working well. In that year I never did get my Nvidia 470s to work in SLI...

Mercerenies

Yeah Nvidia slightly hates Linux, but that's life. I switched over to Ubuntu roughly a year ago. Haven't regretted it for a moment. As far as gaming is concerned, I do occasionally have to boot back into Win7, but fortunately most of my frequently used games actually work fairly well (Civ 5, Minecraft, Factorio, etc. all work perfectly well). Amusingly, I find that full screen games do a much better job sharing the computer. On Windows, Civ 5 has a veritable panic attack whenever I try to switch to Firefox or Discord (not due to lack of resources, but just because it doesn't like not being in control of the screen), but on Linux I've never had that issue. And the development environment is just so much better. Libraries that would've taken hours of hair pulling to set up on Windows just... work on Linux.

RollyBug

I love sometimes working in Linux but its such a hassle even to dual boot, and you have to jump through so many hoops with virtualization. Or maybe it'd be more accurate to say that virtualization extremely limits what you can realistically accomplish. Either way I find myself using Windows almost exclusively save for whatever server software I mess around with on other devices. One day we will be able to alt-tab between Windows and Linux desktop environments and all will be well in the world.

Though I haven't actually said anything related to the OP, so I'll just add in that any time I've ever used Ubuntu I've had some random crashes outa nowhere. Not very fun.

Coded Games

Hmm I’ve always found setting up Linux VMs super easy; at least in VirtualBox. The only really “hard” thing you should need to do is increase the amount of allocated vram to 512mb through terminal and install guest additions.

J

Jafman

I tried VM at first but it was so sluggish I put Ubuntu on a dedicated pc and got similarly sluggish results. Does anyone know of a website that has more info on getting the right graphic card drivers, tweaking stuff for gaming and the like? I used to check a website by the Black Viper to tweak Windows, kinda hoping there's a repository like that out there? Many thanks for your input, friends!

Tthecreator

Your Creator!
Since a little while ago I'm a user of solus linux.

The thing with linux is that it can run pretty darn well on hardware that is a few years old and readily used. But as soon as you try either new hardware or notebook hardware (often with proprietary and exclusive parts) things become a hassle to set up. I for example don't have my nvidia drivers installed in fear it might mess it up. (again)
Ubuntu was also constantly freezing for me, so that's why I switched over to solus. It runs fine now, and installation wasn't too hard. Though I do have to say I'm using the LTS kernel since that's way more stable. (I also had my computer hang every time I tried to turn it off and this fixed it) For ubuntu you can install some ubuntu kernel manager tool)
It's just such a shame it has to be this way. I do actually really like linux and it has some fundemental concepts behind it that make it better than windows. Just the bad industry support makes it often a pain to get working well.
(Yea let's blame it on someone else than linux XD)

Anyways, to actually help you now,
In ubuntu there is an "additional drivers" program. You should use that to install the right drivers. If it doesn't give you the nvidia drivers as an option, something is wrong and your card is not being detected.

If you run into more trouble just let me know, I'm following this thread.

D

devonhg

You really need to be into Linux for the right reasons. Part of the charm of Linux seems to be the struggle.

I really enjoy Linux as a development platform for web-based applications, but that's about it. If given the choice I would develop everything I do on it if it weren't for the struggles of maintaining and running software on everything else.

Linux is a fun toy, and something to experiment with. My casual computer (old laptop) runs Ubuntu. I use it for watching youtube, basic web app development, and maybe even some art ( thanks, Krita ) from time to time.

If you're getting into Linux though, get a Raspberry Pi :D