• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Not able to rename my rooms [BUG/SOLVED]

xDGameStudios

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
I'm having a strange bug I only realise this morning!!
When I try to rename the room... the IDE just lets me rename, but then doesn't assume the new name...
processes (in the top right corner there is the process icon) but nothing changes! :/

Is anyone having the same problem?!

gnysek

are you accepting change by pressing enter, or just by unclicking room (clicking anywhere else) ?

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
If it happens again, please don't nuke the project. Zip it up and file it as a bug so we can see what's gone wrong!

xDGameStudios

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
are you accepting change by pressing enter, or just by unclicking room (clicking anywhere else) ?
both i tried "enter" and also tried.. clicking anywhere else

If it happens again, please don't nuke the project. Zip it up and file it as a bug so we can see what's gone wrong!
I didn't nuke the project just deleted the room :)
Next time I'll send you the project!

JAG

@Mike this is happening in my project, do you know if a bug has been submitted yet? I can zip and report if not! (GMS2 OSX btw...)

A

Amy_P

Yes please! File a bug for it. :)
I've just upgraded to GameMaker 2 and I have had an issue renaming scripts and rooms too. I've noticed that I can rename them as long as I'm not using a name that I have used in any other GM2 project. For example, I just tried to name a room 'rm_main', which is a room name I often used in GMS projects (and have used in one other GM2 project) and it wouldn't accept the change, however r_main (which I haven't used in any other project) worked.

P

psyke

I had the same problem a few days ago but with sprites, the only way to fix it was to delete the sprite, close the IDE, reopen it and run the game before creating a new sprite.
I have no idea how to reproduce this problem and why it happens, but I can confirm that it's possible to happen with other resources as well.

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
open up the .yyp in a text editor, and search for that name. We've had odd occasions where there is a "dead" resource kept in the file but not displayed. If there is... it might be blocking the name change.

A

Amy_P

open up the .yyp in a text editor, and search for that name. We've had odd occasions where there is a "dead" resource kept in the file but not displayed. If there is... it might be blocking the name change.
I've just opened the project up in WordPad and there is definitely no 'rm_main' resource. I've tried again to rename the room as rm_main and it still reverts back to the previous name. I just started a new project to see if I get the same results and had no issues, rm_main was accepted as the room name so I will use a new project.

I'm not sure if this is relevant, but just a bit more info if you want it: I imported one of my GMS projects about an hour after creating the project that I am having issues with. I can not name scripts or rooms in my 'broken' project with the same name as any of the scripts or rooms in the imported project (objects and sprites don't seem to be affected). However, I have been able to use names of rooms that are used in my other GM2 projects.

A

AnomalousArcane

Hey @Mike I too am having this problem. It seems to happen nearly 100% of the time when I duplicate an item, but naming a new resource seems to work normally. I am currently uploading the project to a sharing service. I suppose I should link to the Zip within the bug report?

B

Bardsley Creative

I'm also having the same issue with my game. When i try to create a new room it always changes back to its original name once I duplicate another room and try to change it.

A

AnomalousArcane

I'm also having the same issue with my game. When i try to create a new room it always changes back to its original name once I duplicate another room and try to change it.
This situation seemed to resolve itself for me, after I restarted my pc. You could also try running an older run time?

H

HansMills

I had the same problem and fixed it. In the project folder\rooms folder there was a subfolder named with the name of the room I was trying to use, even thought the room did not exist. I deleted the folder and successfully renamed the room.

BoB3k

I can confirm that this is still happening on the 2.2.0 build. Whatever stopped it the first time left a dead room of the new name in the project folder and i had to go delete it, and then after restarting, the rename worked.

P

PATHFINDER-SIX

I had the same problem and fixed it. In the project folder\rooms folder there was a subfolder named with the name of the room I was trying to use, even thought the room did not exist. I deleted the folder and successfully renamed the room.
Special thanks to HansMills - I found the same scenario and resolution. Inside the ...\folder\rooms directory I found an empty folder with the same name as I the name was trying to rename the room. I deleted the empty folder and I was able to successfully rename the room. I am unsure how this happened (possible user-error) as this was a new room that I had just created using the Duplicate function and this was the last folder in the ...\folder\rooms directory. It is possibly due to user-error as I may have renamed the room and then clicked off the name vs pressing enter after renaming. Again special thanks to HansMills for the pointing me to the issue and providing a work-around solution.

GM2info.png