OFFICIAL A Little Extra GameMaker

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmanthorp

GameMaker Staff
Admin
GameMaker Dev.
Up until the end of April, we’re offering everyone who buys or upgrades to a paid GameMaker Studio 2 licence a free 3-month Desktop licence, so you can share your love of GameMaker with your bestie, or anyone else for that matter!

It can be fun to learn GameMaker with a friend, or you can keep it all to yourself, as an addition to other licences you might have, like Creator, Web or Mobile. However you use it, it’s a little thank-you from us, a little springtime ray of sunshine!

Read More: https://www.yoyogames.com/blog/467/a-little-extra-gamemaker

JeffJ

Demoing the full thing just long enough to make people so engaged that they will want to buy the full product is clever in and of itself, but labeling it as a gift out of generosity is genius.

I'm not even being sarcastic here, I think this is exactly the kind of thing YYG needs to do more of. Clever little promo. Thumbs up. Hope you get a nice conversion rate out of this. :)

Y

Yotzer

Demoing the full thing just long enough to make people so engaged that they will want to buy the full product is clever in and of itself, but labeling it as a gift out of generosity is genius.

I'm not even being sarcastic here, I think this is exactly the kind of thing YYG needs to do more of. Clever little promo. Thumbs up. Hope you get a nice conversion rate out of this. :)
it seemed sarcastic.
offering something like this to whom has the program anyway doesn't seem so clever to me.
in a time when other engines are totally free for personal and commercial use including the export modules it's not so generous .
don't get me wrong here ,i love gms2 and it's the most friendly ,i will recommend it deeply and i am willing to be a soldier in the marketing front because of the engine + the great community behind it but in my opinion the creator mode should be free and the export modules cheaper.
but who am i anyway ?
just an humble user.

C

ChimaereJade

Well maybe it is just a little bit sarcastic. x)
It would be a really cool move if you develop an idea to say thank you for allready using members of gm2 (the ones who are allready supporting you) too - even it's a trial about 3 months or something else. :)

But all in one - maybe some people just waited for such a thing to inspire friends to work with them together. Goodluck and keep up the stuff! :)

JeffJ

You guys don't seem to get it.

First of all, I was not sarcastic. I can't put it any more clear than that. I genuinely believe this to be a good move from a business perspective. As a user who wants to see GMS thrive, I condone anything that can potentially expand business. That reflects positively back on all of us.

Second and most importantly:
You can discuss the general business model of GMS as much as you want, and maybe there is cause for discussion in a world where so many competitive similar engines are doing it in another way. But that's not what this is about. With the business model they currently have, this is a good idea. It's like this: you buy a license that you would have bought in any circumstance (the extra free 3 month gift not being a factor in your decision). Now you just happen to have it anyway, so common sense tells you it would be a shame to just waste it, even if you don't need it. You happen to know someone who might be into this sort of thing. This is what finally gets that someone into this. You do something good for someone you like, and YYG gains a new potential customer when the 3 months are up. Everyone wins.

C

ChimaereJade

Well - some sarkasm isn't a bad thing. I don't want to lay some words into your mouth, but I was thinking in this direction by myself. I see how good this is from an view of business. The "problem" is just that it only works for people, who are creating profit until april and the bonus are the ones, which (hopefully) will buy or rent the gm2 after using the 3-months.

I dont' wanted to "trigger" you and I'm the last who is flaming or hating. Read my post again - I only made friendly suggestions because there isn't just the business perspective and diversity is allways a good thing I think. :)

JeffJ

Don't worry, there's absolutely no danger of "triggering" me and I didn't in the slightest perceive any of what you said as flaming or hating. Sometimes expressing oneself strictly through online discussion boards can be tricky (and sometimes I need to remind myself to use more smilies to get across that I'm not being an angry arsehole). :)

My initial post was meant to be taken with a bit of tongue in cheek, but I definitely believe this to be a good decision for the reasons stated above. Like I said, the current business model is what it is, but within that business model's paradigm and options, I see absolutely no drawbacks to a promotional move like this - for anyone.

1: YYG doesn't lose anything as it's time limited.
2: YYG gains a potential customer when the time is up
3: The customer gains the ability to do something cool for a friend or similar
4: That friend then gains the opportunity to try out a cool game development IDE for 3 months

Like I said, everyone wins.

God knows I can be (and often am) a very vocal critic around here and elsewhere, and I'm constantly up YYG's collective buttholes with my nagging every time they do something. But this? This is nothing but an excellent idea. Well done to whomever came up with the promo. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.