[Solved] Question regarding purchase of GMS2// Creator vs Dev

T

Timze

Hi, so... hit the object limit :)

If i were to purchase creator for $39.99, Will i be able to work on projects without limitations permanently, as in object limit restrictions won't be reimposed after 12 months?
Will i have the right to use the full program as long as i want... or is it just "renting" the use of the full program for 12 months?
is that "12 month license" only for publishing?

Or would one have to buy Dev... to avoid a revert to trial after 12 months?

I don't want or need to buy platform publishing rights until i actually have a game completed.

T

Timze

I too wonder about this, common somebody answer
Ah. I know why nobody is answering.

It appears to be a subscription renewal business model. You rent the full program from them for 12 months for an annual fee of $w.e.
On top of them taking 30% if you complete a game and are able to sell.
Don't know how i feel about this...

Creators License gives you the full functionality (i.e., removes the Trial Limitations) of the Desktop version of the software (for the platform you chose) for 12 months.

After that you can pay another $39.99 for another 12 months license, OR you can purchase the Full Desktop License for 30% off of the full price.

If you don't chose either of those options, your license will revert to the standard Trial License.

So it doesn't give you permanent access to the software without limitations after the 12 months is up.

You are not paying just for publishing ability, although that is part of the package, you are paying to get full functionality for 12 months which includes being able to create an executable/installer.

Where did you find this information, I wasn't aware of YoYo taking 30% of your sales if you are using the Creators license.

Don't know how i feel about this...
That is completely incorrect. There is no % that is ever paid to YYG for anything that you make. Nothing in that video mentions anything about that either. As @IndianaBones says if you have bought the Creator version then you can upgrade to the Developer version for a discount of 30% off the Developer cost.

T

Timze

Creators License gives you the full functionality (i.e., removes the Trial Limitations) of the Desktop version of the software (for the platform you chose) for 12 months.

After that you can pay another $39.99 for another 12 months license, OR you can purchase the Full Desktop License for 30% off of the full price.

If you don't chose either of those options, your license will revert to the standard Trial License.

So it doesn't give you permanent access to the software without limitations after the 12 months is up.

You are not paying just for publishing ability, although that is part of the package, you are paying to get full functionality for 12 months which includes being able to create an executable/installer.

Where did you find this information, I wasn't aware of YoYo taking 30% of your sales if you are using the Creators license.
Thanks for detailing further.
I remember reading it in the T.O.S before installing. Seeing as how nobody can publish a game to a platform in trial it applies to creator as well. But that might just be in the context of Yoyo publishing it vs you publishing it.

That is completely incorrect. There is no % that is ever paid to YYG for anything that you make. Nothing in that video mentions anything about that either. As @IndianaBones says if you have bought the Creator version then you can upgrade to the Developer version for a discount of 30% off the Developer cost.
No %, Ever paid to YYG for no reason ever?
Try reading the T.O.S and other documentation.

Long document which cannot be pulled up immediately since there is no option on their site to do so.
I explicitly remember reading 70% (you) 30% (yoyo).
As said above "But that might just be in the context of Yoyo publishing it vs you publishing it." ---- Don't have a photographic memory capture of every word so... that might be it. It might not. But there IS a cut yoyo takes under a certain condition. And it is 70/30.

rIKmAN

Try reading the T.O.S and other documentation.
I'd suggest you try understanding what it is you are reading before you start claiming things that just aren't true.

If you release your full game on the YYG Marketplace then yeah they would take a 30% cut just like they do with every other asset on there - though the MP isn't really the place to be releasing full games, it's for assets and extensions and source code - so claiming they will take 30% of any full game you release is just plain wrong.

YYG take 30% of anything released through their Marketplace, not 30% of anything you make.
If you don't release something on their Marketplace then you don't pay them another penny, ever.

For releasing a full game you'd probably want Steam - who also take 30% of all sales through their platform.

Wanna go on mobile?
Guess what? - Apple and Google also take 30%.

This isn't just a YYG thing - it's a pretty standard percentage by all the major platform holders, although places like itch.io take 10% but obviously have a much smaller market share.

T

Timze

I'd suggest you try understanding what it is you are reading before you start claiming things that just aren't true.

If you release your full game on the YYG Marketplace then yeah they would take a 30% cut just like they do with every other asset on there - though the MP isn't really the place to be releasing full games, it's for assets and extensions and source code - so claiming they will take 30% of any full game you release is just plain wrong.

YYG take 30% of anything released through their Marketplace, not 30% of anything you make.
If you don't release something on their Marketplace then you don't pay them another penny, ever.

For releasing a full game you'd probably want Steam - who also take 30% of all sales through their platform.

Wanna go on mobile?

This isn't just a YYG thing - it's a pretty standard percentage by all the major platform holders, although places like itch.io take 10% but obviously have a much smaller market share.
Good to know.

E

elsi11

Oh boy, I already had my pitchfork ready XDD

T

Timze

Apologies Bearman, elsi.

After some careful consideration i think it's worth it with some strategic planning. Working on art assets and animation now. Open up some new projects and code other elements of the game which can later then be added onto the main project. Considering how long art and ani can take... a sale or giveaway may pop up on GMS2 in the coming months. If not it still optimizes time for program usage rights when a good chunk of assets are ready. If project is scrapped, low funds saved.

Original intent was to publish this project on mobile, as mobile game users expect less in a game comparatively to Steam. ( Tapping vs Full keyboard and mouse , solo vs team or studio, free vs Buy and have higher expectations, Playstore SEO vs Steam promotion algo// community driven?, "offline" pvp vs complex live pvp etc) We'll see how it develops though. One battle system on mobile can be fantastic while the same battle system on pc can be poop.

P

Primoz128

Wanna go on mobile?

Yeah and if YYG actually took 30% then by adding the game to Steam or other mobile platforms, you would essentially be cut off from 60% of your sales... that is discluding any other software costs etc which will just devour your sales...

Good thing it's not true, otherwise everyone would be broke xD...

T

Tooru

This may be a stupid question, but
>$39.99 for another 12 months license

Can anyone confirm that a single payment of 40$ gets you 12 months of access
or
is it the case that you have to pay 40$ each of those months? (for a total of 480$)

Same question goes for the dev version- is a single payment of 100$, and you get unlimited access
or
do you pay 100$ every month, for an undefined time?

The reason I'm confused is because a lot of the other platforms/engines (for example unity), are subscription based (for unity the paid versions would be 35$ and 125$ per month).

And one more question, I saw that there's a steam alternative to some of the dev plans.
If I've purchased a dev version from the official site, is there any way to activate it through steam, and the other way around? Or are they two separate things?

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
>$39.99 for another 12 months license

Can anyone confirm that a single payment of 40$ gets you 12 months of access
or
is it the case that you have to pay 40$ each of those months? (for a total of 480$)
Creator's is $40/year.

Same question goes for the dev version- is a single payment of 100$, and you get unlimited access
or
do you pay 100$ every month, for an undefined time?
Developer's is $100 one-time.

And one more question, I saw that there's a steam alternative to some of the dev plans.
If I've purchased a dev version from the official site, is there any way to activate it through steam, and the other way around? Or are they two separate things?
They are interchangeable.
  • All purchases on YoYo will ship with an additional Steam key, which serves as your proof of payment on Steam.
  • All purchases on Steam can be linked to your YoYo account, which serves as your proof of payment on YoYo.

J

jerry9034

I should spend two months rewriting my game for GMS2! Great advice, yeah.