OFFICIAL GameMaker Studio 2 Is Here

D

Deeje

Love the new interface, but will there be better support for ultra hi def (4k+) monitors at some point?

Text and general interface look great on my 4k monitor, but a lot of icons don't scale well. There are also some interface buttons that are way too tiny, as if constrained to their image size instead of scaling with the interface.

In this screenshot, notice the top buttons and tab close buttons are pixelated, but the sprite play and repeat buttons look perfect. Also note that the X button on the sprite image is tiny. Text is beautiful and clear on 4k, which is the most important thing, but it would be nice to know that GMS2 will be future proof.

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
It's on our list already. Not sure when it'll get done, but due to retina Macs (which are much more common than 4K monitors/laptops) we were already aware of it.

kupo15

@Mike Was it you who stated something about draw_texture_flush being able to target specific texture pages in the future, or did that already happen? Is that planned for GMS2, or both 1.4? I swear I remember this being mentioned somewhere

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
@Mike Was it you who stated something about draw_texture_flush being able to target specific texture pages in the future, or did that already happen? Is that planned for GMS2, or both 1.4? I swear I remember this being mentioned somewhere
Not texture groups, but sprites. The pages that hold these sprites would be flushed.

http://docs2.yoyogames.com/index.ht...ing/4_gml_reference/sprites/sprite_flush.html
http://docs2.yoyogames.com/index.ht...gml_reference/sprites/sprite_flush_multi.html

kupo15

Amazing, that is even better than what I thought there was and I'm glad its in 1.4 even though its not listed in the manual as well as prefetch.

I assume prefetch is something I should used instead of my current system where I run a loop of all the textures I'm going to need through a lot of draw calls that way it loads the texture page when it tries to draw it? Any reason why prefetch is better than drawing invisible sprites for a single frame?

Also if you have multiple texture pages for a single group, how do you know what is on each texture page so you know which single sprite to call? Seems like it still would be easier to just loop through all the sprites you are going to use to make sure you cover all the tex pages.

K

Kuro

Good job on Studio 2, the UI in particular is looking gorgious.But to be fair, the UI was always the least of game maker's problems. Is GML ever going to get some love? That script argument array thing is the worst.

T

TheRaven81

Just makes me feel like the money I put into GM: Studio 1.4 and all it's modules, went down the drain to a company that just doesn't give a $hit. Here's a few examples of places in the GUI where things that could be important, are unreadable:
http://imgur.com/a/Zzqe6
It's only a few images, but I could easily add more and show other examples. Some of those issues have been a problem for a long time, and I've reported them before, with no replies or help on fixing it. Please do me a favor and don't reply if all you have to say is "Buy GMS 2, and all those problems will be gone.", because the problems should have been gone a long time ago before GMS 2 was even thought of. But these and other issues have been keeping me from using the software.

I think it's safe to say that you will NOT get my money again. Besides, I don't think you are "Making Game Development accessible to everyone" with those huge price tags, anyways.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder

sandy

T

TheRaven81

@TheRaven81 GMS1.x is not high DPI compatible. You've either got your display set to above 100%, or you have some other text scaling enabled. GMS2 IS high DPI compatible.
https://forum.yoyogames.com/index.php?threads/stop-scaling-on-high-dpi-systems.4428/

GMS2 is also (currently) on 40% off (or 50% for Master collection), making it about the price of a single AAA game, which is hardly beyond the scope of anyone to save up for.
Can't really safely say that it's "hardly beyond the scope of anyone to save up for", without knowing everyone's financial situation. Some have more important things to save for than your software, like essential life needs. Because let's see now.. If I were to possibly want to go towards placing my GMS2 capabilities up to par with my 1.x ones, AND miss the sale, we would have...
GMS2 Desktop(for Windows, Mac, and Ubuntu): $99.99
GMS2 Web(equivalent to the HTML5 module): $149.99
GMS2 Mobile(to replace the Android and iOS modules): $399.99
GMS2 UWP(which i guess is for the portable Windows devices): $399.99

Total: $1,049.96. Now I dare you to tell me that's in everyone's budget.

I paid $50 for GMS 1.4 Professional early on, and I got the other modules for a steal of $15 in the recent Humble bundle - since, out of the bundle, they were just as expensive as the prices I stated above for GMS2, and with my budget there was no way I was affording them at that price.

So perhaps I'll have to wait until the day @Nocturne mentions, the day when GMS2 and all it's modules go on a super sale so I can actually get them all at a reasonably affordable price. Because as they stand now, you are not targeting everyone, as you intend to. Rather than also targeting a casual user, you are only targeting a more successful, professional one. Here's a quote, from an interview article, located here:
How YoYo Games aims to make GameMaker Studio 2 more accessible than ever
How important is making the engine more accessible than ever to YoYo Games? And how have you gone about this?

Accessibility has always been one of GameMaker’s strong points, it was very important to us not to lose this key strength when designing GameMaker Studio 2.

At YoYo Games we’ve always believed making games is for everyone, novice through to pro and we have designed GameMaker Studio 2 in line with this belief.
This "belief" you have obviously didn't reflect through to your pricepoint - not even with GMS 1.x, since it was priced the same.

Last edited by a moderator:

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
Can't really safely say that it's "hardly beyond the scope of anyone to save up for", without knowing everyone's financial situation. Some have more important things to save for than your software, like essential life needs. Because let's see now.. If I were to possibly want to go towards placing my GMS2 capabilities up to par with my 1.x ones, AND miss the sale, we would have...

Since when did owning all of the modules in one shot become YoYo's expectation of its clientele? Cripes, that's why there are modules in the first place. It's to allow for people to get exports incrementally and save up/get ROI in the time between purchases.

Can't afford $1050 in one go? Amortize it over a year and you can have it all for $87.50 per month, average. And that's assuming no sales happening during that time. A monthly transit pass where I live costs more than that, and that's supposed to be affordable.

Last edited:

GMWolf

aka fel666

I paid $50 for GMS 1.4 Professional early on, and I got the other modules for a steal of $15 in the recent Humble bundle - since, out of the bundle, they were just as expensive as the prices I stated above for GMS2, and with my budget there was no way I was affording them at that price.

So perhaps I'll have to wait until the day @Nocturne mentions, the day when GMS2 and all it's modules go on a super sale so I can actually get them all at a reasonably affordable price. Because as they stand now, you are not targeting everyone, as you intend to. Rather than also targeting a casual user, you are only targeting a more successful, professional one. Here's a quote, from an interview article, located here:

This "belief" you have obviously didn't reflect through to your pricepoint - not even with GMS 1.x, since it was priced the same.
Do you even need all those exports?
O mean, have you ever published a game on mobile?
Have you ever published a game at all?

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Some have more important things to save for than your software, like essential life needs.
Yes, exactly... Unless you are actually a professional gamedev or belong to a studio (in which case you are dependent on software and will have costs far greater than any single GMS licence anyway) then software is a luxury item. It's not a basic necessity... The Desktop licence for GMS costs less than two of your average video game titles, and considering that it gives you the potential to make 100 times that (and more) then you should be looking at it as an investment rather than a cost... Even a small game released on Steam can make a couple of thousand dollars which is 20 times the initial investment. To many people this is an affordable price, especially given the thousands of hours of use you get for it, and the potential to recover the money you spend and a great deal more, but if it's not for you then don't buy it.

JimB

I am a retired person and hobbyist user, I also obtained GMS1.4 through Humble Bundle and have gotten quite enthusiastic
about GMS ,mainly because it has at least some 3D options which my previous engine did not offer (big mistake imho).

I am also an enthusiastic 3D modeller and would like to make small 3D games for Android, as it stands even with the discount
I cannot see my way clear to be able to purchase the mobile plugins not starting without divorce proceedings with the other half
anyway:)

I did however Take advantage of the discount and obtained the $99 ($59) anyway (for future use?)

I

icuurd12b42

I think the 60$ GM + windows output is well worth the time saving with the interface provided (bot in the IDE and the game engine). Also considering I have put in thousands of hours in it for my own amusement and profit. which is way more than distraction any 60 dollar game would ever give me, I dont mind paying for the product's existence and the salary the people behind it need to eat...

The extra cost of the other modules, per platform is secondary. to me those are only needed when I have a sure thing to put on that platform. and frankly, with gms 1.4 that only happened once.

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
I don't see how that matters?
It matters because you showed a lot of financial- and business-side ignorance with your response.
  • You cited the cost of all modules as a barrier of entry, while the actual cost is much lower because some of the exports aren't needs when starting out.
  • Anyone who publishes to mobile would know the devices alone would cost at least as much as the module.
  • Anyone who has published a game would know that a commercialized venture failing to recoup $1000 should be considered a flop.

Elodman

...I actually like the ability to pay for a product and keep it as my own for my entire life, ...
Before enjoying Yoyo's new product and the benefits of the generous updgrade discount,
would kindly and also firmly request an official staff response on:

-Till when will GMS 2 be supported (approx.) - as for new features and as for major bug fixes?

-Is there a roadmap for to-be implemented features, too (aside from platform-module dates)?

Thanx,
happy dev. to everyone.

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
-Till when will GMS 2 be supported (approx.) - as for new features and as for major bug fixes?
-Is there a roadmap for to-be implemented features, too (aside from platform-module dates)?
We have no "end date" for GMS2. This is a new product and we're supporting it with new updates and releases. We can't specify an end date if we don't have one. If in "X" years time, we do a GMS3, then we'll decide what will happen with GMS2, until then we can't say, because we don't know. GMS1.x has been around for about 5 years - of that's any help, and GMS8 was supported until about a year or so ago (I think?) so about 6 years.

We are working on an updated roadmap.

G

Greenhawk

Wait...mike didn't shoot me? I'm alive and Gamemaker 2.0 is here? Tsuka, I made it! *mike slowly prepares gun*
"We are working on an updated roadmap."
......Dang.... *looks at mike*

Elodman

Greetings Mike and Russell + others.

A blast from the past.

"First, there was Menace, but now, YYG presents an ex-DMA Design Engine"

Thanx for thy answer, for which my question may have been somewhat misplaced.
Had I seen earlier and much easier who you are, with all your astonishing portfolio, possibly a few years sooner would have I and possibly other thinking folks been interested in GMS, and not in other tools.

Awaiting best results & products - again.

RizbIT

yeah im also not happt with Game Maker keep changing their IDE. I got use to Game Maker 8, then they bought out Game Maker Studio, had to fork out for that, took a while to get use to all the changes and addons, then just when im getting comfortable, they changed the whole thing again, more changes and more big cost. Original Game Maker was for hobbyists upwards, GMS is not really aimed at hobbyist but companies and indie devs loooking to make money.

Roa

It matters because you showed a lot of financial- and business-side ignorance with your response.
  • You cited the cost of all modules as a barrier of entry, while the actual cost is much lower because some of the exports aren't needs when starting out.
  • Anyone who publishes to mobile would know the devices alone would cost at least as much as the module.
  • Anyone who has published a game would know that a commercialized venture failing to recoup $1000 should be considered a flop.
Yes, exactly... Unless you are actually a professional gamedev or belong to a studio (in which case you are dependent on software and will have costs far greater than any single GMS licence anyway) then software is a luxury item. It's not a basic necessity... The Desktop licence for GMS costs less than two of your average video game titles, and considering that it gives you the potential to make 100 times that (and more) then you should be looking at it as an investment rather than a cost... Even a small game released on Steam can make a couple of thousand dollars which is 20 times the initial investment. To many people this is an affordable price, especially given the thousands of hours of use you get for it, and the potential to recover the money you spend and a great deal more, but if it's not for you then don't buy it.
These comments are getting a little weird....

people are complaining about the bar of entry, and your first response is too assume its a good business investment and people that don't make it back are 💩💩💩💩...
I think you guys completely forgot the part where not everyone is here for money and expanding their digital presence. Thinking the only way to justify the issue through the idea that they are definitely going to be going to aim that money back definitely makes it seem like there is a bar of entry, mostly from the people who are denying there is one.

Not everyone is a business man. Some people just want to play and make crappy games lol.

Dog Slobber

Original Game Maker was for hobbyists upwards, GMS is not really aimed at hobbyist but companies and indie devs loooking to make money.
GameMaker may have originally been targeted at hobbyists, but when YYGs bought GameMaker and particularly when Mike and Russell were hired Hobbiests were no longer their target market.

This was never a secret.

rIKmAN

Not everyone is a business man. Some people just want to play and make crappy games lol.
Well then the $39 Creators Licence or $99 Desktop Licence should be perfect for those people.

Are you seriously saying that $39 is a barrier to entry?

zbox

GMC Elder
Well then the $39 Creators Licence or $99 Desktop Licence should be perfect for those people.

Are you seriously saying that $39 is a barrier to entry?
Back when I was a kid in the days of GMS6.. etc... $20 was one of the biggest investments of my life haha.

Not sure if making an argument just an anecdote ;)

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Kinda. It's still in beta.
Isn't still in alpha, lol? :p

Hobbiests were no longer their target market.
It's debatable whether professionals are their new target market since there's been a bit of a conundrum with using SCM in any project with more than one member, so I'd say hobbyists still is the main target. And also pixel artists, supposedly, given how much emphasis the new sprite editor got in the release material....

Micah_DS

yeah im also not happt with Game Maker keep changing their IDE. I got use to Game Maker 8, then they bought out Game Maker Studio, had to fork out for that, took a while to get use to all the changes and addons, then just when im getting comfortable, they changed the whole thing again, more changes and more big cost. Original Game Maker was for hobbyists upwards, GMS is not really aimed at hobbyist but companies and indie devs loooking to make money.
The post before yours was a year old (April 2017). Maybe you thought it was April this year? A bit of a grave dig :p but I guess it's not exactly a bad grave dig. I was just confused at first, thinking, "Wait, this topic is still going?...", lol.

Anyway, as for me, getting used to all upgrades/updates across the years hasn't been hard in my experience, but maybe it's because I started out with the first public release of GM way back in the day and sort of 'grew up' with it. There are still various newer features which I haven't explored yet, of course, but I can still use the GML functions that I've known and been used to for all these years, so there is always that familiarity. Getting used to a new IDE layout isn't really all that hard. It appears overwhelming at first, but you just need to spend some time in it and you'll get used to it soon enough.

-

Also, it's impossible to please hobbyists and professionals across the board. Some people are extremely knowledgeable in computer science and low-level computer functionality, while others basically only mess around without understanding, relying on GM to do everything for them. That alone makes it a challenge for YYG to make compromises that make everyone happy, giving everyone the options to achieve what they want to, in the way they desire.

For an example:
Knowledgeable people may complain because they know how terrible some things are, and it causes them pain in the very depths of their soul, having to do something so terribly. But many hobbyists don't care, as long as it works. Hobbyists often don't know exactly why something is so terrible, so it doesn't cause them the same distress to have a roundabout mess of code.
(DISCLAIMER: This may not be the best/most accurate example, so take it with a grain of salt. I'm somewhat knowledgeable, but far below many people here in terms of knowledge and experience)

G

Gweely

Hi All, New to GameMaker. Just following TUTS and examples, looks good.

F

Falconsoft-Industries

I am really enjoying using game maker studio 2 as my development tool... :)

G

gafami

I have a game project made by myself so far. I really want introduces it to the community. Could my account need to waiting for approve to create the new thread.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
I have a game project made by myself so far. I really want introduces it to the community. Could my account need to waiting for approve to create the new thread.
Hi! Just make the topic and a moderator will check it out and approve it. But, please, don't hijack other topics that have no bearing on this... ;)