• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

OFFICIAL GMS2 Version 2.1.4

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmanthorp

GameMaker Staff
Admin
GameMaker Dev.
Release Notes

Runtime Release Notes

Please note this version is mandatory as we have fixed a licensing bug and are also preparing for General Data Protection Regulation changes. Accordingly, you will get "license is invalid" the first run after updating - please just login again once to fix.

This topic is for the discussion of issues relating to the update of GameMaker Studio 2. However, this does not replace our normal bug reporting system and you should report all bugs as normal using http://www.yoyogames.com/bug

You should post here if:
  • Something has changed between the previous version and this one, breaking your game (ie: code that worked previously now does not)
  • Something reported as fixed in the release notes is not actually fixed
  • You are having IDE or system issues related to something new in this update
  • You are having issues with new features introduced in this version
  • You are having issues updating to this version
  • Everything works and you want to tell us we are great (seriously, let us know if it all works correctly for you)
When reporting issues, please try to add as much information as possible, for example:
  • If the issue is with the IDE, then please give a screenshot if you can to help illustrate the problem
  • If there are error windows, then a link to the "ui.log" file found in the ProgramData folder for GMS2
  • If it is a code issue, then link to or attach a YYZ showing the most basic project possible which exhibits the behavior
  • If you receive any error dialogues, please screenshot them
  • If it is a system issue (like compiling to a specific target) then please provide details of the PC being used as well as the software versions involved
Again: posting a comment in these release threads is not a replacement for filing a bug!

D

DarklinkFighter

Just updated my version on Steam...
And till now I like it :)

Especially I like the Language Selection now and a translated manual for my native language.
My girlfriend also tries to learn GMS2 but she doesn't understand a word in english so she is even more happy than me now :D
Also the long startup time is fixed now so great work...

Now I just want to have way more workspace / window / tab navigation features and shortcutes and I am completly happy^^

Hyomoto

The resource tree improvements sound great! I've been having issues there so I look forward to putting my current project through it!

S

Siracher

I have a physics game where a parent object is used for all collision detecting.

This worked fine with version 2.1.3.189 now with 2.1.4.200 it doesn't work at all.
Collission detection is not working, the objects just fly out the room and don't collide with each other anymore.

Nodamex

This worked fine with version 2.1.3.189 now with 2.1.4.200 it doesn't work at all.
Collission detection is not working, the objects just fly out the room and don't collide with each other anymore.
edit:
same is for me

Last edited:
J

jmiller8031

Mac version has a weird bug where the cursor changes to a double arrow pointing left and right and stays that way until you restart the software. I wasn't fully paying attention when it occurred so I'm not sure what caused it.

EDIT: IT's the resize window cursor icon it's getting trapped on. I just did it again and it's stuck that way now. Restart still fixes it.

Last edited by a moderator:
T

Toffi

Firstly, thanks for the work so far! Especially the reduced startup time is greatly appreciated.

You should post here if: Something has changed between the previous version and this one, breaking your game (ie: code that worked previously now does not)
But I mainly registered to comment on that. My collision doesn't work correctly anymore, either.

If it helps, a short description of the problem: in the earlier version I could place my player object directly 1 pixel above the hitbox of my ground object (by simply changing the x/y coordinates) and the collision would immediately work on the next frame, setting my player to the appropriate standing state. Now, if I do this, the collision doesn't work on the next frame; instead, my player object for one frame changes to the falling state, because it doesn't detect the ground underneath their feet, before "landing" on the next frame again. This not only looks weird, but because of the different hitboxes, in this one frame the player often clips into other objects and ruins the collision as a whole.

P

psyke

I'm having the same collision problem. I hope you guys can release a Hot Fix soon, it stopped working on this new version.
What bothers me the most is that I didn't had a choice but to update to the newest version...

JeffJ

I remember discussing the topic of forced updates back in 2016. Here were my exact words back then

This is a very serious decision that will cause trouble down the line.
Now it seems like we have our first forced update that breaks stuff. I don't want to be that guy but - I told you so. Almost 2 years ago.

I've never had any licensing issues with GMS2, so I don't really desperately need that update - an update which in my case would cause more problems than it would solve. Why is this forced again?

EDIT
Another point of discussion back then was where the line would be drawn for when something was serious enough that it had to be forced. That was never really answered - though we kept getting assured that it would only happen if there was a very, very good reason. I fail to see such a reason in this case. Hopefully someone can enlighten me.

For anyone interested:
https://forum.yoyogames.com/index.php?threads/gm-s-2-forces-you-to-update.12085/

kupo15

Uhg this doesn't sound good, collisions are broken? Are we forced to update only on startup? I have my version still up and running at home so hopefully I can keep working in my current version until its fixed....

P

psyke

Uhg this doesn't sound good, collisions are broken? Are we forced to update only on startup? I have my version still up and running at home so hopefully I can keep working in my current version until its fixed....
Then don't close your GMS2, you will have to update if you do that.
Collision detection is somewhat broken in some cases (collision_circle), and in other situations it changes depending on the instance order.

G

Please note this version is mandatory as we have fixed a licensing bug and are also preparing for General Data Protection Regulation changes. Accordingly, you will get "license is invalid" the first run after updating - please just login again once to fix.
@rmanthorp Please clarify this. Does this mean that the next time I open GMS2, YYG will transmit something from their end that will change my software so that I won't be able to use it without updating?

S

Siracher

I'm having the same collision problem. I hope you guys can release a Hot Fix soon, it stopped working on this new version.
What bothers me the most is that I didn't had a choice but to update to the newest version...
you can roll back to previous versions in preferences > runtime feeds > master

this is what i did to keep on working until the issues are corrected

kupo15

Then don't close your GMS2, you will have to update if you do that.
Collision detection is somewhat broken in some cases (collision_circle), and in other situations it changes depending on the instance order.
Alright I guess I won't close it then...unless GMS forces the issue with an untimely crash :) Thanks!

P

psyke

Alright I guess I won't close it then...unless GMS forces the issue with an untimely crash :) Thanks!
I tried Siracher's suggestion and I was able to roll back to a previous version as well (even after today's update).

Hyomoto

Well, I booted up my Castlevania remake and everything works fine. No collision issues or anything. The whole 'visual' part of the resource tree is novel, but I'm just happy it won't throw things to the top if I drop something above another object. I also noticed control + shift + home || end works again! PRAISE BE! If the various crashes and freezes that had been going on lately no longer exist, I'll put this down as one of the greatest releases ever.

Quite stoked, I'm very happy to have the update!

T

Toffi

I tried Siracher's suggestion and I was able to roll back to a previous version as well (even after today's update).
I tried that as well (both with 2.1.3.189 and 2.0.7.110) and it didn't fix the collision problem for me.

edit: disregard, my mistake.

Attachments

kupo15

The forced update is only for the IDE. You can still change the runtime from the preferences and use any one you choose. As for the collision bugs being reported, please make example projects and file bugs for them. :)
Ok great, so that means we won't be forced into the collision issue then since that is a runtime issue and I can still benefit from the IDE fixes like slow start up. Thanks!

T

Toffi

Disregard, I was indeed taking crazy pills. Switching to an older runtime works.

Thanks for the help and sorry for the confusion!

Miradur

We have a GERMAN MANUAL, what a great day. Now I can finally take over world domination ^^
Thank you very, very much YoYo Games :)

Miradur

Edit: The collision error seems to be related to bbox. My sprite constantly moves 1 pixel up and down. With programs without bbox the collision seems to work normally.

Last edited:

rmanthorp

GameMaker Staff
Admin
GameMaker Dev.
Yeah, as Nocturne said - the mandatory part of the update is IDE only - sorry for not being more clear...

Why this was done? It's unfortunate, but in order to ensure compliance with GDPR we had to do this. We really want to avoid doing it when possible.

The physics collision issues will be investigated soon. Sorry about those.

Slyddar

You used to have a "Fixed Bugs" section in the notes before. Has that now just been moved into separate OS sections?

clee2005

I've been working on an HTML5 export, and suddenly the window_set_position() doesn't seem to be working. The window is being centered in the browser by default, which is not how it WAS working.

EDIT : Ok, seems it might have been some wonky caching ... It's working as expected now. I ended up rolling back anyway as there

EDIT2 : I rolled back to 2.1.3.189 runtime as there were other HTML5 positioning issues. Seems to be mouse coordinate related with the GUI layer. I was in the middle of working on positioning the window and accessing GUI layer buttons (while having a banner ad pushing the whole game window down 90px) and adjusting things... it was working in 2.1.3.189 but now with this update it's working differently - I haven't worked it out yet, but would like to know if anyone else notices window positioning issues on HTML5.

Last edited:
G

You used to have a "Fixed Bugs" section in the notes before. Has that now just been moved into separate OS sections?
Yeah. Click the "runtime release notes" link in the OP. I would recommend YYG include a link to the runtime notes at the top of the the IDE notes webpage and vice versa.

Autocomplete now completes global variables incorrectly. Typing out a global variable and hitting enter to accept results in global.global.myvariable rather than global.myvariable.

N

noodles

Signed up just to comment that all of my physics collisions are broken with the new update, as well. Nothing weird or out of place, but it's like all of my collision events are simply being ignored.

EDIT: Rolled back to the previous install and everything works as normal. Hope this can be fixed soon!

Dog Slobber

I don't like how the the IDE forces you to upgrade and then to continue installing the upgrade you must agree to the terms of the EULA.

So my choices are, agree to this potentially changed EULA or have software I paid to use taken away from me.

Miradur

So, after a day of joy about the German manual .......... the first mistakes.
The first rule when translating into another language is: NEVER translate commands of the engine language
in the help manual!
draw_tilemap() is now "Zeichnungs-Tilemap", you would translate it completely, then: "Zeichnungs-Kachel Karte".
But that's a long way from making sense :(

Many commands are therefore very difficult to find in the manual, or not at all.
Btw., the following commands are recognized in the IDE, but not in the German manual:

tilemap_set_height()
tilemap_set_width()
buffer_compress()
buffer_decompress()
bool()

Will there be a link to a German manual online?

Miradur

J

JimiThing85

Hey, first time poster here. Love gamemaker and teaching myself to code...
I'm not using any physics collisions, or the built in solid variable, but since the update, my character randomly collides with invisible objects (or something, the whole point is that nothing should be there...and yes, I've double checked the room, etc...), and some of those objects must be my obj_door parent somehow, because some of them teleport me into a new room and everything keeps running smoothly otherwise. The invisible/mystery objects are always in the same place when I run the game, it just seems super buggy and frustrating. Rolling back the runtime to previous build(s) before the new update restores everything to normal, and the mystery collisions/doors disappear. If anyone else has similar issues, I'd love to hear an explanation or that a fix is incoming. Thanks so much in advance.

Edit: I am using tiles for some collisions, so the "mystery/invisible" objects may in fact be random tiles?

W

Wayfarer

The GMS startup is much quicker for me now :)

With the previous version I was waiting 87 seconds at a white screen. Now I'm only waiting about 2 seconds (which is great).

I appreciate all the work being put into GMS.

Lukan

Gay Wizard Freak
Load time is GREATLY reduced, yes.
Thanks you so much! I honestly would love to know why the last version took so long to boot?
I sometimes had to wait upwards of 5 minutes to get to the start screen, and now it's instant again.

It even opens super fast on my mac now, and that's an ancient 2009 machine.

D

David Ruttan

Since the update my character is not colliding with walls properly and just falls through stuff. I've tried multiple backups and this happens on all of them. Is there any way to roll back? I am nearing release on steam and need to address this asap. Thanks.

D

David Ruttan

Hey, first time poster here. Love gamemaker and teaching myself to code...
I'm not using any physics collisions, or the built in solid variable, but since the update, my character randomly collides with invisible objects (or something, the whole point is that nothing should be there...and yes, I've double checked the room, etc...), and some of those objects must be my obj_door parent somehow, because some of them teleport me into a new room and everything keeps running smoothly otherwise. The invisible/mystery objects are always in the same place when I run the game, it just seems super buggy and frustrating. Rolling back the runtime to previous build(s) before the new update restores everything to normal, and the mystery collisions/doors disappear. If anyone else has similar issues, I'd love to hear an explanation or that a fix is incoming. Thanks so much in advance.

Edit: I am using tiles for some collisions, so the "mystery/invisible" objects may in fact be random tiles?
Hey, how did you roll back the runtime? Thanks

D

David Ruttan

Rolling back to the previous update seems to have addressed the collision issue, however now when I restart my game via game restart it goes to the gameover screen after the first level for some reason but relaunching the game does not cause the issue.

D

David Ruttan

The restart issue was caused by my own code. PLease disregard all of my recent posts as the problem has been resolved. Thanks

W

whale_cancer

With this update, my project now causes the GmaMaker 2 Studio Runner to stop responding.

Last edited:
S

Szaladin

So is it just me or does GM now randomly decide to just close without saving? There doesn't appear to be any pattern.
Same here :/

Together with some other strange things, apparently. (Rooms vanishing, resources suddenly not openable, crashes, un-openable projects...)

N

Nicoloscopie

I have the room vanishing problem !! i closed my gamemaker yesterday after the update and when i open it this mornig two of my room had vanished, after hour of trying to find them, i'll decided to recreate one of them, i read about the runtime solution but when i used it, it re lunch the ide and an other room had vanished... i don't want to closed my ide and loose my work again !

UPDATE:

For the room vanishing i try to restored the .yy file of the rooms that disapear to a version of yesterday and i could add them again to my game but every time i closed the ide of gamemaker the rooms vanished again ! this is a bit irritating

Andrey

In this update, I notice a distortion of the sound. Especially audible at high frequencies and on the Android device. In the sounds (especially at high frequencies) there was hoarseness.
This problem was described in the latest update of 1.4 >>>
Now I hear it here.

Andrey

Btw is there any particular reason why the event names now have a dash at the end?

Yes, I also noticed such a strange thing.
But if you leave a record
"/// @description"
That dash will not be.
...And even if you open and re-save the script.

CasePortman

Just a heads up about collisions post-patch, I noticed some of my collision masks inside of the sprite window got shifted, this might be what is causing some of your guy's issues. I was pulling my hair out wondering why after this update I couldn't hit/collide with my enemies only to realise the mask had moved up-left by about 64 pixels.

Status
Not open for further replies.