Are you proud of your first sprite work

Megax60

I dont mean your very first sprite, i mean, all those sprites you did for your first game, cuz, this is what we do for our tech demos

But, when you did your first sprites, you where proud of them? or you said "This sucks"

I thinked in a character without making a concept art first for my game, and i sprited it, and i did it over and over again until i said, i like this sprite.

When it was time to animate it, i first did the walk animation, and when i finished it, i said, what the hell i am doing, have this happened to you? i had to learn to sprite and learn human anatomy.

Then i tried again to make a walk animation, and im proud of it, (only about 120 sprites left for one character)

Where you proud of your first sprites and animations? or did you send it to trash. Also you do sprite alone, or you do it when you have friends or family near you, for me, its kinda embarrassing to sprite near people.

If you're proud of your first ______, you need to do a lot more ______.
The thread title is present tense, but the post asks if you *were* proud of them, which makes more sense.

I was proud of mine, but I knew they sucked compared to professional work. Not much has changed there, heh. :')

JackTurbo

My first game was BatDolphin for an old GGJ. I'm still relatively proud of the sprites.
The bump animation wasn't great, but the rest if it was pretty good, especially for a jam game.

Drew it up in illustrator and then animated it in after effects.

I work exclusively in 3D, so my sprites are either simple menu buttons or are very basic templates for collective things expanded upon with coding and/or shaders, such as particles.

RujiK

I still think my first game had amazing art:

(It used entirely stolen art.)

My first ORIGINAL art is very amateur-ish, but I thought the trees were amazing when I first made them.

And here is more art evolution, with older being on the left. The right is slightly outdated.

I'm surprised more people didn't use ripped art for their first game.

10,000 times they sucked, and still to this day I believe they suck :D

Watching people draw I am learning new techniques and really the only way I think to learn drawing is to just do it constantly and figure out things :)

Rob

Proud of my first sprites? No probably not. I know my artwork is subpar and that's probably down to me not putting a lot of time into it as well as not being skilled (because I haven't put a lot of time into it in the past, I'm guessing). I always have more fun implementing features and making the game work than drawing the art but I'm slowly beginning to realise that I will have to change my ways if I don't want to pay an artist or can't find someone to team up with, lol.

Lukan

Gay Wizard Freak
My first spritework for a real projects was so bad, I had three people offer do do spritework for me!

And now I have the artwork of the lovely Ninety:

A

Agreeable

Yes.

I don't have them anymore though, as I sold my C64 in 1990.

matharoo

manualman
GameMaker Dev.
But, when you did your first sprites, you where proud of them? or you said "This sucks"
They certainly did suck, if I look back at them now, but I didn't know it back then. I just kept making the sprites I could. I didn't try to compare my work to others. I did look at others' work and learn, though.

So, don't worry about it, just keep making what you can, and keep learning stuff from others' sprites.

PlayerOne

All my sprite work was just MS paint drawings. They looked okay at that time but nothing I want to show here for fear of making someone go blind by how awful they are. :p

These days I use blender for my current "sprite" work.

C

chiyoko

I mean, god. uh. That..... heh. No.

My first work was abysmal, but it was a starting point. Its taken me 6 or 7 years to get to a point im semi-comfortable with, atm, so im proud of the fact I kept going, more than my first work.