• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

New update 1.4.1804 causing Windows sound stutter, not fixing it

G

GPB

Just installed the new update for Gamemaker 1.4 (1.4.1804).

I notice that it stated that one of the fixes was to stop distortion and sound stuttering in Windows caused by 1.4.1772.
I had this update 1.4.1772 installed and never had that problem... until I updated Gamemaker with the new update 1.4.1804.

The "sound fix" has actually added the problem to my set up, not fixed it.

I notice the compile now has this error at end:
Unable to find output device "null" defaulting to "Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio) via DirectSound"

Unfortunately, sound is key to the project as its not actually a game but a teaching aid.

Anyone else suffering this?

Last edited by a moderator:

Appsurd

Jup, my project outputs the same result. However, since it contains no sounds (yet) I can't test the actual bug

Reactions: GPB

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
I've also experienced this (and it increases the time spent in the loading splash screen from almost not noticeable to several seconds), and high-pitched sounds sound a bit distorted as well.

EDIT: Ugh, decided to try to roll back to a previous version and now I'm having tons of issues with THAT. I'll add GMS on my "don't ever update again" list... <__<

Last edited:
Reactions: GPB
D

Darkhog

It would be nice if they'd actually fix all of the bugs in 1.4 before ending support for it in July (or was it June?), lol. Not introduce new ones. And yes, seeing that line as well.

J

jackhigh24

wow im glad a read the forums to check for issues before i update im still on 1772

Z

zendraw

It would be nice if they'd actually fix all of the bugs in 1.4 before ending support for it in July (or was it June?), lol. Not introduce new ones. And yes, seeing that line as well.
it wuld be correct to finish 1.4 bugless or atleast with insignificant bugs. its theyr job to deliver a working product.

D

Darkhog

it wuld be correct to finish 1.4 bugless or atleast with insignificant bugs. its theyr job to deliver a working product.
I know, right? Especially that the asking price of GMS2 is so steep compared to other engines, like Unity (which after recent upgrades in the tooling is a good choice even for 2d games). It doesn't matter how much YoYo wants to say that Unity is not their competitor, the reality is they are and with such high prices for a complete suite they must be out of their minds to think they can compete with other engines like Godot or Unity.

If it would be $60 for a perpetual Desktop license+$15 at most for each of the exporters (per exporter price), then it would be a viable choice without necessarily making GMS2 completely free. But with $100 price and $300+ for all exporters? The value simply isn't there. There are better ways to spent $100 such as Steam Direct fee, if you already have 1.4.

Now, if GMS2 would have art package of specially made graphical and audio resources licensed to use only with GMS so you can start making your game right away (similar to RPG Maker's RTP) and same price as it has now, it would be worth considering. The fact is it doesn't though and without a massive price cut or making such package to sweeten the deal, it's just too much for too little.

E

elsi11

I was pretty much expecting a lot of things will get broken by a random update that comes after a billion months -.- This kind of stuff always happens... I literally had the feeling the whole time while updating: "Oh boy, 1.4.17** is a pretty solid build.. would be a shame.... if... something... went... wrong."

Reactions: Yal
G

GPB

I'm seeing this same issue, very annoying. A member of YYG staff did say they're looking into it here: https://forum.yoyogames.com/index.p...ity-issues-after-updating-to-v1-4-1788.43817/
Yeah, got the same message. Going to avoid updating to this on any other machines.

Thanks for reporting this issue, however it is already in our bugs database, as you can see here:
https://bugs.yoyogames.com/view.php?id=29132

According to this, they have changes the audio engine and this has caused the problem.
Wonder why it was changed so close to support stopping for this version?

G

GPB

Re: I know, right? Especially that the asking price of GMS2 is so steep compared to other engines, like Unity
For a hobby/home user the price is high (which I am), but when you compare to other business software/languages it is actually not too bad. I'd rather pay upfront than go down the monthly subscription model a lot of business companies have started to force (eg. Sage, Cashflow manager, Kasflow, Adobe)
It's not the price of Gamemaker 2 that stops me upgrading. I actually own it, but just don't use it - I prefer 1.4.

The interface is so cluttered, especially on lower resolution screens.
You also can't have multiple scripts actions in each event (which I use to keep things tidy), instead it puts all the code scripts of each event into one long script.
Little niggles I know, but it puts me off.

rwkay

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
The message about

Unable to find output device "null" defaulting to "Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio) via DirectSound"

is expected and not an error (it is just telling you the audio device that it has found)

Russell

G

GPB

The message about

is expected and not an error (it is just telling you the audio device that it has found)

Russell
Thanks for the info.
I mentioned it as 1.4.1772 doesn't show the message and assumed it was related. This update also fails to play sound to my USB headphones.

DukeSoft

Re: I know, right? Especially that the asking price of GMS2 is so steep compared to other engines, like Unity
The interface is so cluttered, especially on lower resolution screens.
You also can't have multiple scripts actions in each event (which I use to keep things tidy), instead it puts all the code scripts of each event into one long script.
Little niggles I know, but it puts me off.
I liked the GMS1.4 interface, but it was unstable. I don't like the GMS2 interface, but at least its stable (ish) :p

I've been having using the script events as well to keep things tidy. We do now have #region #endregion support (for code folding) in GMS2 - that kind of helps :)

G

GPB

I liked the GMS1.4 interface, but it was unstable. I don't like the GMS2 interface, but at least its stable (ish) :p

I've been having using the script events as well to keep things tidy. We do now have #region #endregion support (for code folding) in GMS2 - that kind of helps :)
Thanks, definitely look into that. I admit to not having used it much, as I found the interface frustrating.

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
We do now have #region #endregion support (for code folding) in GMS2 - that kind of helps :)
I still think it's inferior to being able to fold away any curly braced chunk... adding regions manually force you to know a block of code is gonna get bloated in advance, and I find code folding is the most useful when you're skimming through code and need to get the big picture. If you're organized enough to add the stuff needed for code folding, you might be so organized you never end up in a situation where you'd benefit from it :p

DukeSoft

I still think it's inferior to being able to fold away any curly braced chunk... adding regions manually force you to know a block of code is gonna get bloated in advance, and I find code folding is the most useful when you're skimming through code and need to get the big picture. If you're organized enough to add the stuff needed for code folding, you might be so organized you never end up in a situation where you'd benefit from it :p
Yep, I don't even know why they didn't go with folding on the curly brackets like every IDE does, but I guess we'll have to make do with what we have..

G

GPB

Gamemaker 1.4999 has fixed the hissing element, but the sound is still stuttery when playing samples quickly alternating them. Guess its remove and put it back to 1.4.1772
Why wreck something that worked fine until just before support was due to end?

Reactions: Yal

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Gamemaker 1.4999 has fixed the hissing element, but the sound is still stuttery when playing samples quickly alternating them. Guess its remove and put it back to 1.4.1772
Why wreck something that worked fine until just before support was due to end?
Not to get too tinfoil-hatty, but that other product with a higher major number that will be supported much longer looks pretty attractive...

Also I think there were some legal implication or something that necessitated urgent action with no prior planning (which could probably explain general bugginess as well).