GMC Jam Tetrix Quick-build [PC Demo] [Source]

Hyomoto

A quick, 3-day project by Devon Mullane

Some of you may know me for my work on a remake of the NES Final Fantasy, a project I've been working on for a few months now. Well, I wanted to take a break and do a little something else. The result? A nice three day project to put together TETRIX, a Tetris clone. Consider this a personal GameJam, a quick personal project with an emphasis on putting together a high quality finished result. It has 3 game Types, 3 difficulties, and supports both gamepad and keyboard controls, as well as partial mouse support. It also uses an internal scaling routine to try to provide a good resolution for your monitor despite being in 160x144 resolution.

To be honest one of the game types, TOWER, does not currently function. I'd like to finish it one day, it's meant to be an interesting twist on the core gameplay, but my time is up so here is the working demo and more importantly, if you want to see how it works, the source code. I actually learned to code in the 90's on a Macintosh LC taking apart Hypercard projects. The fact you could open up any project and tinker with it to see how it worked was a wonderful thing. Something that bothers me about the current state of the GMC is there just isn't a big emphasis on sharing our work with each other. So here's my contribution. Keep in mind it's lightly documented, and literally provided as-is. That said, if you have any questions about how it works, feel free to ask. Oh, and bugs, report those if you find any (or even try to fix them yourself!)

I'm putting it up in WIP for now because I would like to finish up the scoring scene, high score table and the final game mode as well as add some more sounds and animations. But for now, it's definitely quite playable.

- CONTROLS -
Keyboard:
Up - Hard drop block
Left, Right - Move block, choose menus
Down - Fast drop
Escape - Start button
Z/K - Rotate block left/right, cancel/accept
C - Hold current block
CTRL+R - Reset game.

Gamepad:
Up - Hard drop block
Left, Right - Move block
Down - Fast drop
Start - Start button
B/A - Rotate block left/right, cancel/accept
C - Hold current block
Start + Select + B + A - Reset game.

PC Demo Build v0
PC Demo Source v0
NOTE: TOWER does not function, you have been warned.

Last edited:
B

Blackened

I actually learned to code in the 90's on a Macintosh LC taking apart Hypercard projects.
OMG! Me too! I used Hypercard on a Monochrome Macintosh Plus and SE. I miss Hypercard, it was a lot of fun back in the 90's. I made my first "game" with it as I was using hypercard as a programming tool. I used Hypertalk to code "scripts" and had access to a massive library of shareware/stackware.

In both my Junior and Senior high school years, I taught Hyper Card basics at the University Of Wisconsin in a summer enrichment program for youths. It was quite a popular class actually. The universities macs were far more powerful and they also had HyperMedia which I believe was the improved color version? It's been so long I nearly forgotten and don't remember for sure. Now I need to find an old mac with Hypercard and create again.

Hyomoto

OMG! Me too! I used Hypercard on a Monochrome Macintosh Plus and SE. I miss Hypercard, it was a lot of fun back in the 90's. I made my first "game" with it as I was using hypercard as a programming tool. I used Hypertalk to code "scripts" and had access to a massive library of shareware/stackware.

In both my Junior and Senior high school years, I taught Hyper Card basics at the University Of Wisconsin in a summer enrichment program for youths. It was quite a popular class actually. The universities macs were far more powerful and they also had HyperMedia which I believe was the improved color version? It's been so long I nearly forgotten and don't remember for sure. Now I need to find an old mac with Hypercard and create again.
I've looked into it over the years and sadly Apple ditched it in the 90's if I remember correctly. Which is truly too bad, not only did it have a very easy to grasp syntax, the idea of 'stacks' of cards also made visualizing project flow easy as well. Not to mention you could literally draw maps and stuff onto the cards themselves. Just a great design environment and one I cherish having used. I think you can still *find* Hypercard but I think you need an emulator for modern Macs. If you do a bit of research on this I wouldn't mind being pinged with the results ;)

P

PhenomenalDev

Is there any way you could share the project folder as well as the yyz? I don't own studio 2 but with that I could at least understand some of the code that was going on. Thanks in advance for replies to this slightly pointless request.