Demo A Dragon's Heat: Faith [0.004 SOON] [DEMO] [Patreon]

A

Alexandrowich

A Dragons Heat: Faith
based on an existing Story of another one of my projects

INFO: Demo 0.004 incoming, including: new animations, Status bars, sounds, dialoguebox, etc.

Hello there fellow Game makers.

i once had a Thread here a couple years ago, so i decided to come back, but with a more updated version of my project.

i'd usualy explain everything, describe myself and my project and why im doing it,
but i already did that on my patreon page, and copy pasting feels very unnatural and unhonest, so feel free to check out the description of my patreon Page where i've literaly ripped my Heart open. (link below)

LINKS:

Old Post: >> here << (in case you want to check out an old version of the Demo)

Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/Alexandrowich

My First Channel (where updates will be uploaded): https://www.youtube.com/user/TiTanAEfull

My Second Channel (where German Lets Plays get uploaded): https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmRogjd_ANfLj403fPYIj3g

CHAPTER 1 STORY.txt DOWNLOAD:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/s3czfl3po0hsqta/A_Dragon%27s_Heat_Story.rar

DOWNLOAD version 0.004:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/bj759knwkj82q7q/A_Dragon's_Heat.rar

MEDIA:

Videos:
NEW
OLD

GIFs:

Brief Story:

This Story is originaly made for a Minecraft Adventure map, and takes place in the land Elaria, which is played by a Human and a Dragon as the two Main Protagonists.

[link to minecraft forums above AND here.]

This Story instead takes place on the Floating Islands of the Dragons to the East of the Elaria Sea, and you play as a Dragon, the Main Protagonist. its the Dragon Faith from my Minecraft Story, but you will also be able to switch over and control the Human called Ryan Winter throughout the game as well.

Ryan is the Main Protagonist of my Minecraft project, but in this project your are basicaly watching the same Story from a different view.

the general Story tells that the undead, driven and controled by the Demons, began a great war with the Dragons over the Sea of Elaria,
which lasted for several years. the Dragon, the protagonist, watched her parents get lost in the War with the undead when she was a Juvenile,
since then Faith lusts for revenge of her Parents.

Now as an Adult she might have to search on all the floating Islands for answers, and fight the most evil vilains on her way.
but the lust for revenge only strengthens.
on the way she will meet Ryan Winter
Art Style:

- Axiom Verge like, mixed with a little Starbound and Lufia 2,
- 2d Platformer with indepth graphics, for example: paralax, water distortion fx, etc.
- modular terrain for infinite level design varieties,
- semi realistic animations and sprites,

Planed Features:

- Indepth Storyline with drama and highlights
- fast travel options
- switching to the other Protagonist at any time to overcome all sorts of
puzzles & hurdles.
- Openworld, Areas connected to each other on the corners with almost no
- loadingtimes
- Inventory and Statistics
- Leveling system
- Equiping and arming system
- Looting, trading, and raiding system
- Inovative puzzles, and revarding progression
- Realtime battleing system, kinda like Brawlhalla but less intense
- Firebreathing, clawswipes, tailsipes, Bites, etc.
- NPC,s Villages, Dungeons, Castles, etc.

Wokflow Plans:

- im planing on updating the demo every month or couple of months, when i have enough stuff to show and update.

All sort of feed back is greatly appreciated, and tipps and hints on what i could improve are taken closely, feel free to post your oppinions for this game that is "still just a hatchling"

Last edited by a moderator:
A

Alexandrowich

i was gonna update my post and fix some typos but it seems it has to be approved my a moderator first :D whoopsy, thats fine, i can wait.

btw i LOVE the new forum style, it looks realy well done, keep it up website devs.

currently recovering from my trip to Russia, my grandmother got an infarct and ... you know.
my mother insisted to travel over just to bring her back into her foot.
-40 degree celsius has his tribute, but that won't stop me from doing what i love.

A

Alexandrowich

alright it seems to be fixed and ready to be looked at ^^

N

nnynas

Nice pixel art, but .. I think that the running animation (lower gif) reminds more of a lion/tiger than a dinosaur running?

EDIT: just a quick afterthought about the "problem", I think it's the smoothness of the running movement, that isn't typical for dinosaurs. Their movement is more straight forward and heavy. Oh well, I'm not an expert on the subject but just tried to explain where it could be improved :)

D

Deleted member 16767

I don't know a lot about dinosaurs, maybe you have an inspiration source somewhere? It's always good to have an example picture and to draw from that. Otherwise, the animation fits the skeleton structure good.

About the programming side, I would advice to code the maximum speed and that it is greater than and equal to 1 for the walking animation, and then maximum speed of run and that it is greater than maximum speed of walk for the running animation.

EDIT: I'd just like to point out what I think is making it look not like a dinosaur or a dragon. Big dinosaurs have much fat and muscles and can not run like your dinosaur. Small dinosaurs (and even some big) have small arms, and it looks like it's one of those small ones that is bending itself down and that's why people get confused from your dragon.

A

Alexandrowich

Nice pixel art, but .. I think that the running animation (lower gif) reminds more of a lion/tiger than a dinosaur running?

EDIT: just a quick afterthought about the "problem", I think it's the smoothness of the running movement, that isn't typical for dinosaurs. Their movement is more straight forward and heavy. Oh well, I'm not an expert on the subject but just tried to explain where it could be improved :)
im very thankful for your concern and suggestions, it warms my heart seeing that poeple do care, keep up that Positive mental attitude!

i am indeed aware now that the Running Cycle, which was originaly based on a Running Cycle of a Dog, feels way to weightless for such a large creature like a Dragon, i have been searching for a more fitting cycle but i could only find concepts of mammals walking and running. if anyone is up to help me, feel free to find me something that fits more to a large Reptile, i am open for suggestions. ^^

the reason i created the cycle as it is right now is because i concidered several criterias like Bone weight and Skeletal arrangement based on a Dragon of a very specific Movie. (i don't like mentioning that movie)
in the Movie the Dragon is as large as a Bus but still moves like a Dog on 4 legs, elegant and graceful ... but Slower in a way.
it deppends if the Muscles are strong enough to lift the Body or even jump high, no matter how much the creature weights, which is important for a Dragon to liftoff.
also keep in mind that she is supposed to have Wings, so imagine the Wings are lifting her up a bit while Running, thats why she looks so weightless.
and the running animation is much faster ingame than it is visible here. ;3

I don't know a lot about dinosaurs, maybe you have an inspiration source somewhere? It's always good to have an example picture and to draw from that. Otherwise, the animation fits the skeleton structure good.

About the programming side, I would advice to code the maximum speed and that it is greater than and equal to 1 for the walking animation, and then maximum speed of run and that it is greater than maximum speed of walk for the running animation.

EDIT: I'd just like to point out what I think is making it look not like a dinosaur or a dragon. Big dinosaurs have much fat and muscles and can not run like your dinosaur. Small dinosaurs (and even some big) have small arms, and it looks like it's one of those small ones that is bending itself down and that's why people get confused from your dragon.
i didnt quiet get the coding suggestion, could you please explain it to me?

all walking and running animations are based on the speed of the character, if you press and hold the S button your walking speed is halfed and the animation speed automaticaly adapts to the movign speed.
if thats what you meant.
if not, pls explain, i realy do appreciate your concerns.

D

Deleted member 16767

i didnt quiet get the coding suggestion, could you please explain it to me?

all walking and running animations are based on the speed of the character, if you press and hold the S button your walking spiin is halfed and the animation speed automaticaly adapts to the movign speed.
if thats what you meant.
if not, pls explain, i realy do appreciate your concerns.
Seems there is a bug with the animation then around 23:40 that made me think it was accelerating.

M

maru_th_undrtkr

consider letting the player just hold jump to keep flapping (fly) after first flap, idk if this is just a personal thing but when im pressing it to go higher, I get a little frustrated with it, which is strange since its pretty smooth, after a while i figured out that I could hold it and press and hold it to stay floating for an ungodly amount of time. The walk speed seemed pretty slow to me, honestly tho not by much. on that topic it all feels a little on the slow side. but not by a whole lot.

A

Alexandrowich

consider letting the player just hold jump to keep flapping (fly) after first flap, idk if this is just a personal thing but when im pressing it to go higher, I get a little frustrated with it, which is strange since its pretty smooth, after a while i figured out that I could hold it and press and hold it to stay floating for an ungodly amount of time. The walk speed seemed pretty slow to me, honestly tho not by much. on that topic it all feels a little on the slow side. but not by a whole lot.
i realy do appreciate your constructive criticism, maru, thank you.
i did concider speeding up the walking speed, but as the walking animation is made to adaptively speed up based on the movement, it might look a little derpy for a Large creature like her.
but i might actualy add some speed to the Flying (not holding Shift) part to compensate.

the reason why my game "feels slow" is because it is suposed to be more RPG based than the most "hardcore parkour" games out there :D
and because it was on a much smaller resolution with way less field of view before i uploaded the Demo, but since i made it roughly fit to a standart screen (roughly 1080) everything is smaller than i used to be thus takes more time to pass the camera ^^
thank you, i,ll look into it. nothing easier than changing some numbers ;)

T

TGHoly

Oh look amazing! when i saw that dragon at first I though it was 3d render until I check your progression video it just unbelieveable!

A

Alexandrowich

just a headsup, in case people have missed it:
i did include a link to a textfile which holds the Story of Chapter 1 in a readerfriendly fashion, so if you have like an hour time to read it all, feel free to do so. :3
i also plan to resume that Book/Storyscript some day anyway, feel free to give any feedback for that too.

Bingdom

Googledom
I wasn't around the old gmc, but I remember seeing an old yt video that linked to it (and couldn't find a thread to the new one). It's great to see that this project is now still going on.

Last edited: