Windows Prince of Thieves

F

Fuzenrad

Hello, we came looking for some feedback on our project for future updates (we enjoyed the result and we'll continue working), this is a stable version of 'Prince of Thieves', participant of a JAM (on itch.io) whose character (or history) should be Public Domain, the game purposely follows a 8-bit-style, duplicating some platform limitations (eg. Phantom System and NES), we want to recover the feeling of the classic games.

History/Context
By order of King Richard the Lionheart, all the wealth of Nottingham had been transfer- red to safes. The poor villagers living in Sherwood Forest had lost hope of a better life, but Robin Hood will remind everyone of the reason for his nickname: The Prince of Thieves.

How to play
Arrows - Move / Select (menu)
Enter - Confirm (menu)
Z - Jump / Confirm (menu)
X - Shot
ESC / P - Pause

Credits
Evandro Gomes (Fuzenrad) [Programmer]
Fabio Manna (dotCHAOS) [Graphic/Music]

Gameplay (video)

Screenshots Click to view in real size

Install instructions
Unzip the ZIP folder before run the game.

Download For Windows
Prince of Thieves (stable 1.0).zip (9 MB)

External links
PDJam Result (itch.io)
GameJolt
Softpedia
IndieRetroNews
Warpdoor

Carnivius

Very nicely done and feels very authenticlly NES-like right down to the Mario-esque Robin. It seems to run slowly on my computer though. Certainly not as smooth and fast like in the video. And it doesn't fill up the screen in full-screen mode on my monitor either resulting in huge borders all around. I'm not sure why this is as I don't normally have problems running 8-bit style games on here at all. I'd certainly play it more if it ran better as it's a very fun game. (for extra retro-feel you could add an option for xythop3's CRT shader too to have an old TV/monitor style effect to it all)

F

Fuzenrad

It really a great suggestion. Currently, this game was made with Game Maker 8, when i rewrite it to Game Maker Studio ill certainly put this feature. Thank you very much! :)

A

Acr515

Very nice game! You pulled off the authentic feel very well. I'm not having any performance issues like Carnivius is though.

EDIT: I got stuck in a wall! All I did was jump up when I was below it.

Last edited by a moderator:
F

F_Clowder

Looks great!
But I'm having a similar issue as Carnivac. The game starts out fairly smoothly but within a few seconds the keyboard becomes sluggish, like super bad. Overall on my end, the game seems to run like normal though, it's just the eventual ill-responsive keyboard.

Carnivius

I don't know if it's relevant but my PC's have Windows 10 and my projects run smooth in GM:S but I don't know if GM8 has any particular issues with this OS that could be causing the slowdown. Either way I look forward to when you rewrite it in GM:S as you said :)

F

Fuzenrad

I really dont understand the reason of this issue, we publish also on GameJolt and no one said anything related.. Except Windows 10, have any other relevant information? is 32 or 64 bit? directx version? Ill do my best here to solve this, ill upload a new version built with GMS. Thank you all for reporting, was of great help :)

About the collision bug, i already know, probably i wrote some stupid code, the next version i'll remake all character mechanics.

ps: For some reason, this game came up as an indication of best game of the week on PCGamer website:
http://www.pcgamer.com/free-games-of-the-week/

We are very happy! :D

Carnivius

It's 64 bit Windows 10. I haven't got any other GM8 built games to try on it but as I said all my GM:S projects and other GM:S games I've run on it have no issues.

By the way I just noticed something about your game. Dollar signs on the money bags? Don't think medieval England had dollars. :p Funnily enough I did the same thing with one of my projects set in Sherwood Forest before realising. :p

I

itameio

This looks very fun!, i love such game style, i'll be giving this game a try when i have time.

D

dotCHAOS

It's 64 bit Windows 10. I haven't got any other GM8 built games to try on it but as I said all my GM:S projects and other GM:S games I've run on it have no issues.
I run on Windows 10 and I have no problem with the performance. Maybe your video card is very "high-end" and have some sort of incompatibility with applications in DX 9.

By the way I just noticed something about your game. Dollar signs on the money bags? Don't think medieval England had dollars. :p Funnily enough I did the same thing with one of my projects set in Sherwood Forest before realising. :p
Artistic license... =B

K

Keano

Yo this game looks crazy good, Im about to try it out! Ill edit my post when done :D

Edit: Well it is aamzing game but one thing I keep getting stuck in between the bricks lol thats so annoying but other then that great game !

Last edited by a moderator:
Z

zendraw

its fun, i like such games. but why dollar signs? also i get stuck on the walls.

D

dotCHAOS

ibut why dollar signs?
It is the most famous symbol of money in the world. If I used the symbol for pounds "£" (which was the local currency in the game context), many people do not understand the association of bags with money.

Carnivius

I think the pound sign £ is still pretty well known across the world... especially with things of english context such as Robin Hood. :p
It's not a big deal I just thought it odd and a little americanisming. That's a word! :p

D

dotCHAOS

I believe I could not draw an emblem of Libra in pixel art in this resolution... would not be intelligible =/

But it has nothing of Americanism in that choice (I'm not from USA), it's like I said playing up there, just an "artistic license".

M

Mors

Pretty nice! I like how this looks like an early NES title, man those games have their unique charm. My only complaint is the sound mixing. I think some sounds are a bit louder than they should be. (especially enemy jumping)

F

Fuzenrad

Pretty nice! I like how this looks like an early NES title, man those games have their unique charm. My only complaint is the sound mixing. I think some sounds are a bit louder than they should be. (especially enemy jumping)
We are very happy to reach a very close result of a NES title, maybe our project with a higher 8-bit feeling, about the sound, may even be that some have been higher than should, we will fix it in the next release. :) Thank you for play.

Very retro, love it!
Thank you =)

2D Knight

I think the pound sign £ is still pretty well known across the world... especially with things of english context such as Robin Hood. :p
It's not a big deal I just thought it odd and a little americanisming. That's a word! :p
Remember Castlevania had a $ on the money bags. ;)

Still57

Love the gameplay, love the music, love the artwork. The increasing difficulty in each successive level is pretty good too. The game works fine on my pc btw. However, I wish you could save your progress. Cuz I came to phase 11 then I quit the game and now I have start all over again.

Anyway great game overall, just wish there was a save function

Last edited:
D

dotCHAOS

That new concept sprite looks great.
Thanks!

However, I wish you could save your progress. Cuz I came to phase 11 then I quit the game and now I have start all over again.
This is part of nostalgia =P

We can consider a password system... will allow return of the last successful stage without losing the charm of retro.

EDIT
Just for curiosity purposes, the bags will have a symbol of pounds in new version =]

N

nvrogers

This is really neat! The sprites and animations are clean and easily readable, but also look like they would be right at home on the NES. The music gave me the same feeling. It sounded like the melody line of a much larger piece and really contributed to the atmosphere. The sound effects were a tad generic but they sounded appropriate. The game play isn't quite as spotless, but its a solid base. The basic structure of collecting gold while avoiding guards isn't exactly innovative, but it is fairly enjoyable in small doses. The issue is variety. The bonus stages break things up a little bit, but otherwise it gets quite monotonous after a while. Even though the guards have different weapons, they move in the same way. Therefore, the process of avoiding the guards never actually changes, only fighting them does. You could include enemies that attack and then run away, enemies that stay on one level, enemies that try to box you in, and so forth. Then you could sprinkle them throughout the levels and you would have yourself a game that could be played much longer. If this game had come out on the NES with improved enemy variety, it would probably be remembered quite fondly alongside the likes of games like Bubble Bobble.

Keep up the good work!

F

Fuzenrad

We also think so, create some different enemies, as the guard throw a barrel, spears on the ground and bridges that drop the player, we try insofar as possible give a variety (I believe we got), but actually the same objective is held throughout the game (run away from the guards and collect the bags), we'll let's varied gameplay, wait for the next version =)

This is fantastic! Feels like it should be on an NES. It was challenging but fun to play. The only problem I found was on phase 4 when an enemy got stuck in a wall. Really good!

F

Fuzenrad

This is fantastic! Feels like it should be on an NES. It was challenging but fun to play. The only problem I found was on phase 4 when an enemy got stuck in a wall. Really good!
Thank you :) indeed, eventually happens this bug, but the good news, we're remaking the game, by the good repercussion we have had would be interesting rework this project with time, the next version will have an upgrade in graphics and music by a specialized 8-bit-style composer, his portfolio:
https://soundcloud.com/hoffman_iv

FHD

Congratulations. Lovely Game! I finished it. Bravo! very thoughtful in game design, it brought the good old days of Nintendo for me. I enjoyed it a lot.
Thanks for making such a gem with Game Maker Studio.