OFFICIAL Nintendo Switch export coming soon to GameMaker Studio 2

rmanthorp

GameMaker Staff
Admin
GameMaker Dev.
GameMaker Studio 2, the leading 2D game development engine, has signed a deal with Nintendo, meaning GameMaker games can be exported directly to Nintendo Switch. GameMaker is expanding its already significant reach to developers looking to release on the hugely successful console that can be played anytime, anywhere, with anyone. First launched by YoYo Games in March 2017, GameMaker Studio 2 has seen continual growth since its release, and it is ready to take another step forward by forging a partnership with Nintendo. This will culminate with the launch of the GameMaker Studio 2 Nintendo Switch edition in summer, 2018.

“We’re thrilled to be entering into a relationship with Nintendo, with the opportunities this will bring to our game development community, and most importantly, the players themselves,” said James Cox, General Manager, YoYo Games. “Nintendo has been hugely supportive of bringing independent releases to the Nintendo Switch console, and this partnership will mean even more wonderful games are released on the platform. We’re working hard to ensure the Nintendo Switch version of GameMaker Studio 2 retains the already excellent functionality of the engine, and we are committed to supporting developers and studios who are keen to make the jump to Nintendo’s record-breaking console.”

Following the announcement of Undertale’s imminent arrival on Nintendo Switch, Toby Fox, creator of Undertale said, “I’m excited to use GameMaker Studio 2 to put Undertale on Nintendo Switch. I’m a big fan of Nintendo. I hope Mario plays my game.”

More information about the release date and the supported games will be announced closer to the official launch in summer, 2018. To be kept up-to-date on progress, please complete the form on the news post:

https://www.yoyogames.com/blog/462/gamemaker-studio-2-to-launch-on-nintendo-switch

Last edited:
H

HW.

Interesting to see GameMaker Studio 2 has seen continual growth since its release.

Will it be released on a console module, or a new separate product?

I hope the GMS2 roadmap will advance faster for all existing modules. And also better maintenance for marketplace is what we also want to see actually.

( on GMS2 roadmap marketplace update is set on Q4 https://help.yoyogames.com/hc/en-us/articles/231719448-RoadMap )

JeffJ

Congratulations on finally getting it through. I know it's taken years of hard work, and it's fantastic to finally see that pay off.

Also - time to celebrate no longer having to fend off the constant "Where is my Switch module?" threads. ;)

nesrocks

So, I had questions regarding the devkit, but nintendo's developer portal doesn't give me the option to purchase a devkit for the switch, just Wii U and 3DS. Even if it did, how would I know which one to buy? Wii U's devkits have a dozen different types.

So, I had questions regarding the devkit, but nintendo's developer portal doesn't give me the option to purchase a devkit for the switch, just Wii U and 3DS. Even if it did, how would I know which one to buy? Wii U's devkits have a dozen different types.
That's something you should ask Nintendo about, and what you've seen on the Nintendo Developer Portal probably isn't anything you should be discussing publicly. You signed an NDA when you signed up there, right?

Also, yay! Switch module!

nesrocks

That's something you should ask Nintendo about, and what you've seen on the Nintendo Developer Portal probably isn't anything you should be discussing publicly. You signed an NDA when you signed up there, right?
I didn't sign anything yet, no. Maybe there was some checkbox to agree to some text though, but it must have been years that I registered online so I can't remember. Alright, I'll get in touch and see what they tell me.

edit: this should be relevant for today, but it may change with the news that game maker 2 will be able to export for the switch. We'll have to wait and see:
https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/6bnhag/how_to_develop_for_switch/

Last edited:
I didn't sign anything yet, no. Maybe there was some checkbox to agree to some text though, but it must have been years that I registered online so I can't remember.
You should make sure...if you're not sure, "better safe than sorry" is a good rule to follow. Anyway, Nintendo is probably who you need to contact to purchase a Switch devkit...

rIKmAN

Also - time to celebrate no longer having to fend off the constant "Where is my Switch module?" threads. ;)
They won't have too long to celebrate, the questions will just change now haha!

Congrats to all the wily devils at YoYo Towers who lull us into thinking they are an office full of sloths with the slow updates and lack of communication, and then pull this out the bag. I'm a bit surprised you didn't wait til April 1st to leak it just to confuse people even more! :D

Looking forward to seeing GMS2 grow and improve once 1.4 is put out to pasture - which can't come soon enough IMO.
Here's to a good looking future for both YYG and the community.

gnysek

F

FormalCloud

Good work, YYG. I look forward to producing something worthwhile enough to catch Nintendo's eye and make a great example of what GameMaker is capable of.

I knew 2018 was going to be a good year. :)

M

Misu

Good work, YYG. I look forward to producing something worthwhile enough to catch Nintendo's eye and make a great example of what GameMaker is capable of.

I knew 2018 was going to be a good year. :)
Same here! Got my team hyped and gonna make some plans after the first project is complete!

F

FormalCloud

Uh, what? I've received nothing but fast and effective support from both their developers and customer support team over the last 4 years that I've used GMS and GMS2.
YYG has gone above and beyond for me several times and given the scope of the software and the team size it's quite impressive really. This isn't an enclosed dev environment where everything is sterile, they are working the dog w/ this software and are constantly faced with the challenges of so many different 3rd party changes that they have to keep up with. On top of that they are still fleshing out the new IDE for GameMaker Studio 2 with all the feedback that comes in while the software's reach grows over time.

I've run military missions in the the middle of nowhere that were less stressful than that!

Cheers to everyone on the YYG staff who put their hours in so that folks like me have a new creative path in life instead of a destructive one. I owe you big-time.

rIKmAN

Uh, what? I've received nothing but fast and effective support from both their developers and customer support team over the last 4 years that I've used GMS and GMS2.
YYG has gone above and beyond for me several times
I didn't mention support or going above and beyond?

I was specifically talking about how they have been hush hush about the Switch export, closing threads because there's no news and people were asking the same question over and over again about it due to lack of communication and it appearing like it may never happen as things were moving so slowly (if at all).

Like sloths - you know.....those really slow moving animals....
Then out the blue they just announce it and pull it out of the bag like magic out of nowhere.

Whilst it's admirable of you both to jump to the defence of YYG, it really isn't needed as I wasn't having a go at them.
I was saying how awesome it is that just when people think it's not gonna happen, ta-daaaa - here it is.

As I said in the part of my post you both ignored, 2018 is looking to be a great year for YYG and GMS2 users.
More devs using GMS2 can only be a good thing for YYG and the community as a whole growing benefits all of us.

F

FormalCloud

With respect, @rIKmAN, not everything is about your opinion. YYG doesn't need 'defended' because their product speaks for itself.

Some of just prefer to to show our appreciation when the topic comes up. That's all. :)

Back to the topic - I hope we get some juicy details about the Switch Export at GDC. I am very curious to see if/when we can access joycons special features and how the Nintendo SDK/approval system works.

So many questions!

rIKmAN

With respect, @rIKmAN, not everything is about your opinion. YYG doesn't need 'defended' because their product speaks for itself.

Some of just prefer to to show our appreciation when the topic comes up. That's all. :)

Back to the topic - I hope we get some juicy details about the Switch Export at GDC. I am very curious to see if/when we can access joycons special features and how the Nintendo SDK/approval system works.

So many questions!
When someone replying to me had misconstrued my post into something it wasn't, I'm allowed to answer - that's not making it all about my opinion, it's answering someone who quoted me.

But I agree, let's keep things on topic rather than arguing semantics about what others took my post to mean.

I agree it's going to be interesting seeing how they harness the joycon features in GMS, and it really opens up a lot of possibilities in terms of design and mechanics, exciting to think about.

A confirmed GMS2 Switch Export - Xmas has come early for a lot of people! :)

H

HW.

This is my question. The wording, "Nintendo Switch Edition", leaves a lot of questions. Still, great to see the support happening.
Yeah i don't know. it is probably another $399 permanent licence like UWP?? or probably another $799 12-month licence like PS4 / XBOX One??
Just see it appear @console section, in Summer, 2018 then haha ---> https://www.yoyogames.com/get

Yeah i don't know. it is probably another $399 permanent licence like UWP?? or probably another $799 12-month licence like PS4 / XBOX One??
Just see it appear @console section, in Summer, 2018 then haha ---> https://www.yoyogames.com/get
I mean...the Switch is a home console, so I imagine it'll be priced like the other two. I'd love to be wrong, but I think we'll be paying a pretty penny for the Switch export.

I hope they start letting us pay monthly on these exports, at least...

Well, I'll be buying either way, though... :x

S

Sam (Deleted User)

Will it be released on a console module, or a new separate product?
I'd say both. Because honestly there is no difference between the two other than what it will be "technically called". I think the whole difference between a "new product" and a "new version of the same product" has lost its meaning when it comes to the way YoYo uses it. For instance, GMS2 is a "new product" but all that is different really is the continued support and a new IDE. As Nocturne pointed out, the runner code with all modules 1.4 and 2 have in common are 99.9% identical. The actual games you make will be and are virtually the same.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can I just export my game on Nintendo Switch like an Android? Or will I need those dev kit and license which only bid companies can afford?
And the the fee of the module? Will it be very expensive and lease only?

Please tell me so I do not get false hopes.
You'll need a dev kit to develop for the Switch. You'll need to apply with Nintendo, and then purchase the kit from them if they agree to do business with you. From what I've heard, the Switch dev kit goes for $500.

I imagine the Switch GMS2 license will go for around the same price as the Xbox and Ps4 licenses, but I haven't seen anything about that yet.

But yeah, you'll probably be looking at a lot of effort and over $1000 worth of spending to develop for the Switch, so don't get your hopes up if you were hoping it'd be cheap. :x

The good news is that if you release your game on the Switch, you'll almost definitely make your money back. You'll probably have to raise some money to get started, though.

rIKmAN

You'll need a dev kit to develop for the Switch. You'll need to apply with Nintendo, and then purchase the kit from them if they agree to do business with you. From what I've heard, the Switch dev kit goes for $500.
I believe Nintendo do also supply dev kits for free, but that's at their own discretion on a per game basis and not guaranteed.
Hopefully you get lucky and can spend that money on the game itself rather than the dev kit!

gnysek

On PS Vita it was possible to test games on PS Mobile on any console, maybe it's also coming to Switch, and then no dev-kit is needed, just certification from Nintendo (but then you can come with ready product, so there's 90% changes you will release a game, as it's already done, instead of just "trying to maybe make"). But - we'll see. It may be like PS3/PS4 module sadly.

COWCAT

As someone who released 2 games on Vita, PS4 and Xbox One, I've been SO looking forward to this!

I get the price will be similar to PS4 and Xbox One ($800) but I'll honestly pay any price for the export module because this saves me MONTHS of "switching" to Unity, time better spent on making the games I want :)

NB : Already registered as Nintendo developer, can't wait to get my hands on the new export module!

kupo15

You'll need a dev kit to develop for the Switch. You'll need to apply with Nintendo, and then purchase the kit from them if they agree to do business with you.
Might be a silly question but do you have to be ready with a game to publish in the near future in order to apply? Like, could I apply to be a Nintendo developer just to have it even though my game is 3 years away from release and then purchase the dev kit and export later when I need to?

Might be a silly question but do you have to be ready with a game to publish in the near future in order to apply? Like, could I apply to be a Nintendo developer just to have it even though my game is 3 years away from release and then purchase the dev kit and export later when I need to?
Yeah, you can apply to the Nintendo Developer Portal whenever you want, and you should do it as early as possible. Like the other guy in the thread said, though, that doesn't mean you'll have a dev kit, though. I haven't checked in awhile, but it kind of seemed like the people they were giving kits to was completely random, based on some of the crap on the Switch's eshop vs some of the developers I know who were trying to get a dev kit based on what they were saying on Twitter and stuff. :')

That was like eight months ago, though. I haven't really looked since then, since GM didn't support the Switch back then, anyway.

U

Ulcius

Such an amazing news! And I was just about to move to Unity. So glad months of rewriting game are spared for me. Worth every penny I will have to pay :)
Somehow I think that Undertale, being made on Game Maker had some impact on Nintendo decision.

M

Moonvalk

Stellar news! My current project would fit in very well with other Switch titles, hopefully it isn't too pricey.