GameMaker Studio 2 is coming to Nintendo Switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. RPG

https://nintendoeverything.com/gamemaker-studio-2-to-launch-on-switch/

YoYo Games is adding a Switch export to GameMaker Studio. Details are scarce, but it seems that their plan is to release the export sometime this summer.

With the addition of the Switch export, GameMaker Studio can now export to the three major console platforms like with other game engines.

Thank you so much for this, YoYo Games!

Last edited:

rIKmAN

The cat is out the bag - good news for everyone and congrats to YYG for getting this done.
Once 1.4 is sunsetted they will have more available resources to put towards GMS2 so the timing of this makes sense.

@RichHopelessComposer will be a very happy man! ;)

C

CursedToast

The site is reliable, so if this is true (waiting on 100% word from YoYo) then I will move back from Unity immediately and eat my words on everything I've ever said on YoYo.

N

Ninjinister

Well looks like I'll have to eat nothing but ramen for the rest of the year so I can afford this....

Cpaz

No lie. Kinda dumb we're hearing this first from the like this outside first. But 'eh, it's still cool to see.

F

FormalCloud

No lie. Kinda dumb we're hearing this first from the like this outside first. But 'eh, it's still cool to see.
With GDC so close I have a sneaking suspicion we'll here a lot more about it then when YYG makes an official announcement. Summer 2018 isn't far away. :)

Cpaz

With GDC so close I have a sneaking suspicion we'll here a lot more about it then when YYG makes an official announcement. Summer 2018 isn't far away. :)
True. And I guess it makes sense that YoYo would chose the big names to test and debug the export with. Nintendo also probably could have made a point to be hush hush about it all because.... Nintendo...

nesrocks

This is amazing news! So, now the only problem is the expensive dev kits. Is there any way at all to release a game on switch without the purchase of a devkit?

M

Misu

They're only $450. That's nothing compared to the amount of money you'll make on a commercial Switch game.
And also (adding in the info too) that is nothing compared to how much you have to pay to get a PS game release. $450 is a great deal.

L

Lonewolff

Weird that YYG has said nothing about this.

And the author of the article has a whooping 500 followers.

Seems legit. o_O

GameMaker Studio 2 has signed a deal with Nintendo
Notice it isn't YYG who has signed with Nintendo?

If it is true, can they fix the $400 UWP modules bugs first?

Last edited by a moderator:
K

Kobold

...it's a little early for April fools ... I agree

edit: ...it's true?! Holy cow, guys! Congratz

Last edited:

Seems legit. o_O

This site isn't the only one to talk about this.

https://www.gamasutra.com/view/news..._bring_GameMaker_Studio_2_games_to_Switch.php
http://www.siliconera.com/2018/03/08/gamemaker-studio-2-signs-deal-nintendo-switch/

Considering this topic isn't shut down by admins for being fake, I'm near certain it's legit.

rIKmAN

Seems legit. o_O

Gamasutra (and other big outlets) are reporting it, and the gamasutra article says that YYG sent out a press release quoting a YYG staff member.
I doubt they would do that unless it was legit.
"We’re working hard to ensure the Nintendo Switch version of GameMaker Studio 2 retains the already excellent functionality of the engine," stated YoYo general manager James Cox. "We are committed to supporting developers and studios who are keen to make the jump to Nintendo’s record-breaking console.”

T

tavo

hell, cannot wait to import my game to the nintendo switch,
I will make upgrades to my game to have deluxe edition when the module its out, I hope its not a pain in the @** to program the inputs to the joycons and uploading to the switch e-shop
( I needed to hire help, since I was a total noob uploading my game to steam )

Zuljaras

hell, cannot wait to import my game to the nintendo switch,
I will make upgrades to my game to have deluxe edition when the module its out, I hope its not a pain in the @** to program the inputs to the joycons and uploading to the switch e-shop
( I needed to hire help, since I was a total noob uploading my game to steam )
I hope it uses the same functions as of right now. Currently the gamepad functions are the same for PC, Xbox, PS4 controllers. I just want this to remain the same for the Switch as well.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
I hope it uses the same functions as of right now. Currently the gamepad functions are the same for PC, Xbox, PS4 controllers. I just want this to remain the same for the Switch as well.
Keep in mind that the Switch controller is rather... "special"... and so while the main gamepad functions will still be relevant, they don't cover all the tilt axis or IR camera or rumble controls or multiple controller configurations (pro, handheld, horizontal, vertical, etc...) that the switch controller has... ;)

JeffJ

YES!!!! (I acutally quite literally just yelled that out to myself in my living room out of pure excitement - not even kidding).

Just got up, too. Hell of a way to start off my friday.

Kudos, YoYoGames. Really. Nothing more to say. This is [insert word I'm not allowed to use here] awesome!

Mr. RPG

I imagine it must have been hard for YoYo Games to keep quiet about this for so long. :p

Especially since they have been pestered with numerous requests for a Switch export for a long time now. We're sorry for that!

Zuljaras

Keep in mind that the Switch controller is rather... "special"... and so while the main gamepad functions will still be relevant, they don't cover all the tilt axis or IR camera or rumble controls or multiple controller configurations (pro, handheld, horizontal, vertical, etc...) that the switch controller has... ;)
All the HD rumble, gyro etc. aside, the core things like vertical/horizontal axis and buttons will function the same as now? I just don't want to go through all keybinding functionality again :(

Finally. I can stop worrying about what engine I'm using, now. =)

So what was the point of taking it off the roadmap for a month? Just to stress us out?

No. It was just to stress you out. Just you.
I doubt I'm that special to you guys, but I can't think of any other explanations that make any sense. What's the point of making everybody think GM's Switch export was dead for a month, just to go "nah, we actually *are* finally going to match our competitor's export options later this year."

Was there an actual reason for it, or were you guys really just 💩💩💩💩ing around with your users for no reason? :'D

Whatever, I guess. Glad I can stick with GM for my game, afterall.

Edit: Blah, don't mind me. I've just wasted a lot of hours writing 💩💩💩💩ty spaghetti code because I was convinced I was going to have to port over to Unity anyway, so I'm feeling a little bitter is all. This is obviously great news. Good work to all of you guys. Glad this is finally happening, and I'm very happy I can stick with GM. =)

Last edited:

Khao

I knew that sticking to GMS2 was going to pay off! This is seriously the best news I've heard this year so far!

L

Lonewolff

Finally. I can stop worrying about what engine I'm using, now. =)
I wouldn't be so certain about that. You can't even set the size of a window in UWP yet :p

How old is the UWP export? 2? 3 Years now?

What hope have you got on a completely new platform? :D

Reactions: HW.
Status
Not open for further replies.