Android Digging for Burgers [a casual game for everyone about digging for burgers] coming Feb 28th

Looks like a fun game.
I hope so. I'm worried about this one.

I started the trailer making process. Here is what I have:

Other than that, there are more updates to the game, but I'll stagger them out to keep bumping the thread over the next week.

This will probably be the last update as the game will be available on Google Play this Wednesday, February 28th. With more feedback from the public, the game will be updated.

- Added number blocks that give bonus points for being broken with chains that meet the number. Number blocks can still be broken by digging through them, but no points will be added.
- Added new challenges to the challenge mode surrounding the new number blocks. These challenges force the player to only score with the number blocks.
- Added the percentage of stars to the top right of the title screen to encourage the player to visit the challenge mode.
- Added a new high score indication for the arcade mode on top of the humble one that is already there. Keep in mind, the player can still speed up the game over screen.
- Added a new song jingle to the high score to make it feel even more special!
- Modified menus to increase speed of the menu cursor to 1/8th a second when holding up or down rather than maintaining a consistent speed of 1/4th a second. It takes a second to reach that 1/8th per second. This is especially noticeable with the challenge mode menu.
- More tweaks and enhancement details.

Here is the "new high score" screen:

G

Grojo

Waiting for the release :D Very nice concept. I like your dev blog and how you put your effort to finish the game.

G

Grojo

Can't download :/ It says "this item cannot be installed in your device's country" (I'm from Chile)

Can't download :/ It says "this item cannot be installed in your device's country" (I'm from Chile)
Thanks for letting me know. I've opened it up to all 142 countries.

I should mention it may take a while for Google Play to recognize that all 142 countries are allowed. Sometimes the updates have been 2 - 8 hours before they happen.

Last edited:

hogwater

Looks like I disappeared and never replied back there! Sorry about that, I thought I did. But you figured it out, the palette in you Feb 1st post looks great.

G

Grojo

Thanks for letting me know. I've opened it up to all 142 countries.

I should mention it may take a while for Google Play to recognize that all 142 countries are allowed. Sometimes the updates have been 2 - 8 hours before they happen.

S

signal

Someone who doesn't get 50 of their friends/family to give fake 5 star reviews! Kudos for that. Downloading now.

Someone who doesn't get 50 of their friends/family to give fake 5 star reviews! Kudos for that. Downloading now.
I never ask anyone to review the game. If they want to, they will. I did get a lot more friends to play test this game over the past month than any other game before it. Maybe the number of play testers was 15 with 5 getting extensive with testing. Chances are friends were too burnt out from playing it to play it now that its released.

With my previous Android game, my cousin's 2 kids played it a lot, even a year after it was released, but they were in the game's young age demographic so they couldn't review it. :)

Someone has posted a video of the game. Its the first video for one of my games on Android that I've seen. He labels it a "walthrough" but never does a walkthrough. I assume walkthrough gets more traffic. It can be walked through because of the challenge mode having 30 challenges that have different strategies. I assume the strategies are self explanatory by reading the descriptions. On the plus side, the video was smooth on his phone.

Last edited:
G

Grojo

I playing with my girlfriend, competing among us. Really Fun!
The last 2 times we play, it didn't connect to the PlayGames API.

kupo15

The game looks fun, nice job for the little programming time!

This game might not get that far as there's little to no reaction on Twitter.
Forgive my lack of twitter knowledge but what do you mean? Do you have a lot of followers and there wasn't that much talk about it or is there a place you a tweet at that gives you a wider audience to showcase it? Can you reach a wide audience without having many followers?

I appreciate the comments!

The game looks fun, nice job for the little programming time!

Forgive my lack of twitter knowledge but what do you mean? Do you have a lot of followers and there wasn't that much talk about it or is there a place you a tweet at that gives you a wider audience to showcase it? Can you reach a wide audience without having many followers?
There are less likes and retweets for this game than my previous games. As for having a lot of followers, no, I don't have a lot of followers, but the ones I do have are talkative and like the platformers I post. You ca reach a wider audience with hashtags that get retweet by bots. That's mainly where people would find new things and I'd get more likes, retweets and follows.

I playing with my girlfriend, competing among us. Really Fun!
The last 2 times we play, it didn't connect to the PlayGames API.
Thanks for playing it and I'm happy you enjoyed it! As for Play Services, I guess it depends on your wifi and the Play Service availability. If you ever need to force the availability check out the leaderboards and that will force it. During development, I had it constantly trying to log into Play Services and that was annoying and made it unplayable to the people who just didn't want to use Play Services.

Well I showed off the game yesterday in a new place with strangers forced to play it.

The consensus seemed to be people want it to be more touch screen and less anchored controller controls. More touch screen as in swipe to move the player and touch menu items to use them.

- Modified sprite font to be a bit bigger while making parenthesis and brackets look less like a C.
- Added clickable menus. While I feel this is a step backward for a game that has a controller anchored to it at the bottom, people can now click menu items, even if they're a bit small. A few things need to be smoothed out.
- Added mouse wheel support to move the cursor, even if this is a mobile game only at the moment. Holding the left mouse button and using the mouse wheel will act as left and right. I've had people on Twitter tell me with other games to ensure a menu has mouse wheel support. Sure keys are easier, but mouse wheel is fun.

Here's a debug of the menu. You'll notice colors behind the menu items. Those are just a demonstration for debug indicating, yep there's a button there. The red dot indicates the mouse is hovering over something clickable.

Also seen in debug is the fact that the blocks overlap the background to show me where they are. Oh and take note the controls are so small, because this is on a monitor.

Meanwhile, there are bigger issues that I just can't fix. One person says his screen blinks when a block is broken and Android says there have been crashes.

Last edited: